Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Stewart Defends Trek Fans

Former Captain Picard on 'Star Trek' fans and Lycra jumpsuits.

By T'Bonz

April 3, 2008 - 12:41 AM

Patrick Stewart got testy in an interview recently when he felt that Star Trek fans were being insulted.

As reported by Newsweek, the former Star Trek: The Next Generation star does not buy into the "Trekkies are oddballs" type attitude all too prevalent amongst non-Star Trek fans.

When asked if when playing Macbeth, Stewart was worried about "weird Trekkie fans" in the audience, he replied, "Oh come on, that's just a silly thing to say."

When the reporter persisted, insisting that Star Trek fans were weird, Stewart scolded the woman. "How many do you know personally?" he asked. "You couldn't be more wrong. Here is the thing. If you say the fans are weird, that means there is something essentially weird about the show and there is nothing weird about it. I'm very passionate when people like you sniger."

One thing about working on Star Trek that Stewart found to be a nuisance was wearing the jumpsuit. "I came to loathe it," he explained. "We actually got rid of it after the second season thanks to my chiropractor, who said if they don't take you out of that costume we are going to slap a lawsuit on Paramount for the lasting damage done to your spine."

According to Stewart, the jumpsuit was "made from Lycra and one size too small. The producers wanted to have a smooth, unwrinkled look. It put a terrible amount of strain on the shoulders, neck and back."

To read more, head to the article located here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/030408_01.shtml

Nikki Gostin and her editor at Newsweek should be contacted at Newsweek by Trek fans to complain about her ignorant question and opinion imo, pointing out the Trek fans support of many charities and projects including Amnesty Intl., Shatner's charities, etc. and their wide variety of backgrounds, interests and skills. That is the logical side of me talking. The other side of me wants to see her fired, slapped, or embarassed into an apology.

I remember Stewart always being appreciative of Trek fans....

I remember back in 94, Patrick was on the tonight show, and Jay mentioned "Trekkies" somehow, I don't remember if it was in a negative way or not, but Stewart goes into this story..

Stewart goes up to an ATM in Hollywood, does his buisness, and when he turns around, there is this large man with a beard and long hair standing right in front of him.... He was built like a wrestler, and had a rather unsettling look on his face...

The man says "Your Capt. Picard, from Star Trek aint ya?"

Stewart nervously replies, "Yes, thats right."

the man says 'Can I have your autograph Mr. Stewart?'

Stewart gives it to him, and the man then asks 'Would you like me to walk you back to your car?'

Stewart points his car out to be just behind them, and says with a nervous smile, 'Theres really no need'

And then Stewart says that an almost boyish charactor comes out of this hulk of a man, an he says "Ok, thank you Captain' , gives him a salute, and then runs off to a sitting car accross a parking lot entrance, and he excitedly says to another guy in the car " I told you it was him....GOD! I love Hollywood!!!"

Stewart said that he appreciated the love and respect he felt from the fans, and that few actors will ever know such loyalty...

There is another Stewart story I like. He was at some restaurant in Europe. The restaurant employees didn't appear to make a big deal about having Patrick Stewart visit them. They just treated him as an ordinary customer. However, the chefs displayed his food to look like the Enterprise D.

It's awesome. I mean, yeah, we Trekkies CAN be weird at times, but only in the proper milieu. Watching Stewart perform MacBeth is not such a milieu, however. We're not completely socially inept. It's not like we're gonna appear at the theater with gold-painted skin and talking without contractions.

I think for Stewart as well, and he really seemed to grasp this more than other actors, at least according to the interviews you see in the extra features.... Star Trek was about the optimism for the human race to progress. And if that's weird (and sometimes it CAN seem like it), then there's something seriously wrong.

Picard is great I actually did a profile on him as college and most of was about his time on TNG

Not like Robert Beltram who actually told fans at a convention that he hated Star Trek and he begged the writers to kill him off every season.

Lets just say he hasn't been asked to do a convention since.

Not like Robert Beltram who actually told fans at a convention that he hated Star Trek and he begged the writers to kill him off every season.

Lets just say he hasn't been asked to do a convention since.

Did our beloved Voyager Chakotayactually said that? When? Where? damn... :)

Edited by Reincarnated ghost

I'm not sure what Covention it was a while ago though it was on one of the Star Trek websire like Treknews or Startrek.com. One of my friends went to it I'll find out where it was

Beltram has said in numerous interviews that he hates sci-fi and Voyager was just a paycheck for him. Its no wonder he is rarely a guest at a con.

I too applaud patrick Stewart is his attempt to turn the stygma "trekkie" into something admirable, and worthy of respect, not revulsion. WELL DONE!

Patrick Stewart, that is awesome.

Beltram has said in numerous interviews that he hates sci-fi and Voyager was just a paycheck for him.

I wonder if this contributed to Chakotay being the boringest, most personalityless character ever. I swear I feel like trying to claw out my eyeballs when watching a Chakotay episode. I don't expect the actors to like Star Trek and science fiction as much as we do or even at all. It really is a job for them. But it is in poor taste to make a big deal out of it at a convention.

Beltram has said in numerous interviews that he hates sci-fi and Voyager was just a paycheck for him. Its no wonder he is rarely a guest at a con.

:frusty: :) I guess we will never see him in any more Star Trek Movies.