Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Ro instead of Kira?

I think Ro would have been an excellent choice. Ro was actually the character that was originally intended for the role. Ro would have been a more versatile character than Kira. Kira just seemed as though she was mad at the world 24 hours a day.

Would Ro have been better than Kira?

Abso-fricken-lutely!

Ro's character had subtle layers that Kira's character seemed to miss entirely. Ro seemed to care about people on the Enterprise (Guinan and Picard in particular), whereas Kira came off as being self-righteous and mean to everybody who didn't worship her precious prophets.

Not to mention had Ro been on DS-9, we wouldn't have been subjected to that godawful Kira/Odo pairing...

*shudders*

I like the way it turned out. I started out disliking Kira but warmed up to heras the first couple of seasons went by.

I never really liked Ro all that much, the character not the actress. I kind of saw her as the "bad girl" version of Tasha when they brought her in. She had a hard life but was tempored by those hard times and finally "resuced" by Starfleet. Of course Bajor isn't part of the Federation so why'd she join Starfleet and not the Bajoran Defense forces?

Anyway, if we'd had Ro instead of Kira then the whole "sexual tension" between Kira and Dukat would never have worked. Plus I liked the Odo/Kira arc and if that hadn't happened then we'd have 1 less video for our video vault lol

Faithfully

don't like either, but I did like the Odo/Kira storyline on some but not all episode. I'm just surprised to see I'm not the only one who doesn't like Kira. Like everyone said, she was a very hateful person and almost a bigot

I did not like Kira a whole lot to begin with, but as time went on that changed. I actually enjoyed seeing how her character changed over time, especially the stories where she had to grow and get past her hatred of all Cardassians. Duet was a great example of this. She started out with the attitude that if any cardassian was at the camp it made them guilty. But at the end when the Bajoran killed the Cardassian said that he was a Cardassian and wasn't that enough and she responded with "No, it isn't" that to me showed alot of personal growth.

Edited by ddillard

Nah, I can't see Ro as first officer on DS9..A secondary character, sure..I liked Ro well enough on TNG but she didn't seem like leadership material..Can't imagine her hooking up with Odo or all those wonderful scenes with Dukat either..And as the Intendant?!!! :angry: No way!!

DS9 would have been totally different with Ro.. :laugh:

Glad we got Kira

I wasn't a huge fan of either, but Kira was a better choice because she was in many ways able to get over her hatred and become a decent XO. I gotta agree with what has alreay been stated about the effectiveness of the Kira/Odo plotlines(Couldn't imagine Ro in her place) and I couldn't see Ro as the intendant either.

In many ways, DS9 was a better series due to Kira's numerous contributions on the show. :angry:

What was the difference? I think that it is the same thing as Tom Paris - Nick Locarno. Ie they were essentially the same character anyways. How could Ro have been a commanding officer on DS9 after what she did on TNG ie betraying the Federation for the Maquis? With Kira we had that fiesty spirit but everything she did to the Cardasians was not illegal or damaging from a Federation perspective. I suppose as well with DS9 they did not have to pay the royalties for the character of Ro. It would have been nice to have that TNG DS9 continuity though like they had with O'Brien and Worf.

They had Ro side with the Maquis since the series was coming to an end and the writers wanted to have one last story about her. But that has nothing to do with DS9 since it would have been in their 3rd season by that point.

I'm talking about Ro's troubled past before joining the Enterprise crew. She was let our of jail to help the Enterprise find some Bajoran camps and leaders. Sure her performance since merited a promotion to LtJG but she would have had to be made at least LtCdr to be the XO of the station which would be 3 ranks higher than her rank at the time DS9 aired which was Ensign. It just wouldn't happen.

Well....the main reason that it ended up being Kira is that Michelle Forbes turned down the job. It was supposed to have been Ro from the start.

Well....the main reason that it ended up being Kira is that Michelle Forbes turned down the job. It was supposed to have been Ro from the start.

And people keep forgetting that.

And people keep forgetting that.

Well...I think it was a good thing in the end that she turned it down as I really like Major Kira / NV on DS9.

They had Ro side with the Maquis since the series was coming to an end and the writers wanted to have one last story about her. But that has nothing to do with DS9 since it would have been in their 3rd season by that point.

I'm talking about Ro's troubled past before joining the Enterprise crew. She was let our of jail to help the Enterprise find some Bajoran camps and leaders. Sure her performance since merited a promotion to LtJG but she would have had to be made at least LtCdr to be the XO of the station which would be 3 ranks higher than her rank at the time DS9 aired which was Ensign. It just wouldn't happen.

Remember Geordi at the beginning of TNG? Didn't he go from being a Lt Jr Grade to a Lt Cmdr in like two seasons or something? I suppose Ro could have not been second n command but in charge of liasons or something with the Bajorans.

Yeah, and Denise Crosby was originally supposed to be Troi and Marina Sirtis was originally supposed to be security chief Lt. Macha Hernandez... those instances, like the Kira/Ro instance worked out for the best.

Kira all the way!

Michelle Forbes I heard wanted off Next Gen, so they wrote her off the show.

Next she was offered major role on DS9 she turned it down.

Finally Ro Laren was also intended to be a main character in Star Trek: Voyager, as a former member of Chakotay's Maquis crew when this didn't pan out, due to Michelle Forbes turning it down again her character was replaced by B'Elanna Torres.

I'm suprised they didn't try to give her a role on Enterprise as Ro Laren's grandmother, so she could stiff them again.

I liked Ro Laren a lot, and wouldn't have minded seeing more of her. However, I think that Kira was better for DS9, and honestly, I loved her character. Of course she had rough edges. Who wouldn't, with her past? IMO, it was that past and all the rough edges it gave her as well as her faith in the prophets that made her one of ST's most nuanced, convincing, and realistic characters, and I adored watching her development. Sure, sometimes you wanted to smack her. And there were other times when you could have cried for her, and other times when you glowed with pride over her growth.

Obviously it's a personal judgment call, but I've always loved characters with tangled pasts and psyches and obstacles to overcome, and Kira fits the bill to a T. Even when she drove me crazy, I loved watching her development.

DS9 would have had a completely different story if Ro was the XO instead of Kira. The Bajoran provisional government requested that Starfleet take over the station since, at the time, they didn't have the ability to do so. However, they also insisted that someone from the provisional government be a key player as a liasion. There was no way the Bajoran government was going to appoint Ro to this position. She abandoned her people to join Starfleet, had never held a position with the provisional government (that we know of), and did not identify with her people. ("They are lost, defeated. I will never be.")

Her shaky position in Starfleet would have made this even more problematic. Picard and the Enterprise crew eventually accepted her, but does anyone doubt that Sisko would have knocked her on her *butt* the first moment she steped out of line?