Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

"Admiral" Picard?

He would probably take it to help him get over the fact that Janeway was promoted over him.... :batman:

Janeway getting promoted is garbage, like a typical woman driver she got lost and since she found her way back she got promoted, if that happened to a Man he wouldnt get promoted, I mean crap Picard save the Earth how many times? Well who is to say he wasnt offered a promotion but declined it, I mean he is the Capt of a brand new Star Ship so would you take it? He more then likely took Kirk's advice

If Picard were offered an Admiral-ship do you think he'd take it or take Kirks advice in GEN to never let them promote you?

he can't be promoted because he's still in deep trouble with starfleet command after disobeying orders not to be involved in the second borg incursion. and if you don't believe me, pick up a copy of peter davids new trek book.

I understand but that book is not the last word, if a story for the big-screen or TV were released in which he did get promoted then that book is overruled.

Picard was offered an admiralty in "Coming of Age" which he turned down

But that happened before GEN, I'm talking about in the future, after NEM.

I don't think he would accept. He'd follow Kirk's advice. If he were promoted to admiral, he'd have to just sit around in an office... which is not what he wants, he wants to be out there and explore the galaxy. If he can't do that as a starship captain anymore, he'll become an ambassador. ;)

And besides, Admiral Picard sounds horribly wrong to me. :nono::laugh:

ya'll are talking about the books, but I thought the books werent cannon

They aren't canon. If it wasn't seen on screen (big or small) then it ain't canon with the exception of the animated series (not canon except for a little bit of background regarding Vulcans).

I think Picard would follow Kirk's advice.

I think Picard would follow Kirk's advice.

For a while, but he's a career man. I think he'd take his own advice to Riker which was at the end of BOBW I believe and realize that promotion may be offered for now but not again in the future.

At some point he has to advance or retire.

I have to agree that while he may hesitate to take a promotion, that he is an intelligent enough man to know that the opportunity may not always be there and that he cannot remain a starship captain forever.

I don't think he would accept a promotion. I can't see him back on earth behind a desk. Kirk tole him if he wanted to make a differance the captain's chair is where it's at. Ole Captain Sulu never accepted a promotion either I don't think.

I don't think Picard would want to be an Admiral, and I can't blame him. I can't stand Starfleet Admirals. It's like the writers had some inside joke about just how useless (*cough* *cough* Nechayev) and yet powerful they could make the top brass. It was despicable how they'd show up and boss around our favorite captains in situations they didn't know all that much about. The only Admiral, IMO, who ever really served a purpose and didn't hide behind his desk was Admiral Ross...and I just found him unlikable. But he helped get the job done, so he kinda gets a free pass.

well i don't ever see picard ever getting promoted for the disobeying orders during the 2nd borg incursion in sector 001, or the fact he disobeyed orders again during the Son'a incident, but if anything, he could get offered a command position with promotion to admiral after he stopped Shinzon from destroying earth, but according to non-cannon sources, he declines and helps starfleet make a last stand at DS9 against the borg about 7 months data died.

It was despicable how they'd show up and boss around our favorite captains in situations they didn't know all that much about.

Its the same way with most jobs. The people who make the decisions are not the people who have to do the work.

I think he would sooner or later, after all it's been 21 years since he first took Command of the USS Enterprise-D and he wasn't a young man then. And he's getting older, Nemesis was 6 years ago and they were at 15 years together then.

In some fan films and my RPG he did finally accept Admiral-ship and the position of Academy Commandant. I know they're not Canon and neither are books. It's basically up to each fan's interpretation. Though bare in mind, even Kirk once said, "Galloping around the cosmos is a game for the young."

Rank shouldn't always equate with respect and experience. Kirk (as did Picard), mere Captains, often went over the heads of Admirals as witnessed in episodes and movies, and were respected for it. The personal command skills which they have are best used in the Captain's chair. To an extent, for men who chose and seek out adventure like them, being in the Captian's chair is their life blood. Janeway was to an extent forced into her 7 year life of adventure, and given the personal and emotional sacrifices she made along the way, I am not surprised she took the Admiralty position at Star Fleet Command, feet firmly on good old Earth, when she returned. Remember, she had a scientific background and although being a fabulous commander, her heart always seemed to beat to a lesser drum. Kirk and Picard are adventurers and a desk job would both bore and destroy them (remember the washed out, depressed Kirk at the beginning if Star Trek 2!) and no "title" is worth that...

Janeway was to an extent forced into her 7 year life of adventure, and given the personal and emotional sacrifices she made along the way, I am not surprised she took the Admiralty position at Star Fleet Command, feet firmly on good old Earth, when she returned.

Hear hear. She brought the crew and ship back 85% intact from the Delta Quadrant. She outsmarted the Borg repeatedly. While Kirk and Pircard were one-night-standin' it up and down the galaxy, Janeway lost her permanently lost her love simply because he thought she'd been killed--she darn well deserved her Admiralty!

He would no doubt like to quip, at least in private to say, Geordi, ''They shall have to pry my cold, dead hands from the captain's chair, first!''(With a Kirk-esque gleam in his eye)