Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Blu-Ray

Do you have a Blu-Ray player or Blu-Ray drive in your computer?

Back in February I bought a Blu-Ray burner for my computer, in fact I built a whole new computer around it. So now I can make my own Blu-Ray discs, and in March I bought a PS3 which plays Blu-Ray.

It's nice to see the HD picture but the cost of the blank discs needs to drop.

it will drop after a while, I remember I paid around $600 for my 1st DVD player when they 1st came out and it didnt have surrond sound or anything, like everything as time goes by the Price will drop, I just feel bad for people that paid all the money for a HDDVD instead of a Blue Ray, since Blue Ray won the format war

Yeah, the prices will come down for sure. Right now my main complaint is the blank media. $15 to $20 per blank is just way too high.

I remember my first CD drive for my PC, it was around $400 and that was just a 1x CD reader. Writers hadn't been invented yet, and at 1x they were SLOOOOOOOOW!

My first CD Writer was about $499 and my first DVD Writer was also about $499, at least my first Blu-Ray burner was only $399 lol

I got a Blu-Ray dvd player at Christmas and I love it. Hooked up to my Home Theater systerm and my hi-def plama TV, its awesome!

I won't be getting any bluray drives, not a big fan of Sony...

Actually we got an HDDVD player, after it had become apparent it 'lost', mainly because it was only 70$, came with 2 movies on HDDVD and can play regular DVDs better. The prices came down a lot. You know, due to this fact, theres still a chance of HDDVD coming back from the grave. One can hope.

Edited by BKY1701

I won't be getting any bluray drives, not a big fan of Sony...

Actually we got an HDDVD player, after it had become apparent it 'lost', mainly because it was only 70$, came with 2 movies on HDDVD and can play regular DVDs better. The prices came down a lot. You know, due to this fact, theres still a chance of HDDVD coming back from the grave. One can hope.

Both Blu Ray and HDDVD will upconvert a regular dvd to near Hi Def status so as long as you don't plan on buying Hi Def movies, you should do fine with the HDDVD player.

I got a PS3 earlier this year, and it came with a great deal. The offer was that if you bought a PS3 between Oct '07 and Jan. 31st '08, you get 5 free Blu-ray movies off a select list through a mail in offer. I bought my PS3 around Jan. 15th, so I got the free 5 Blu-ray movies. I got Superman the Movie, Stir of Echoes, Wild Hogs, The Omen, and UltraViolet for free.

Not a great list of movies to choose from, but hey-it's free! Superman is awesome on Blu-ray, the color is great. Seeing that red and blue costume really stands out in Hi-def

I will eventually buy both HDDVD player and a Blu-Ray player... although to me regular DVD's work just as well. plus if you dont have a Hi-Def tV there is not really any point to buying them.

I will eventually buy both HDDVD player and a Blu-Ray player... although to me regular DVD's work just as well. plus if you dont have a Hi-Def tV there is not really any point to buying them.

Why in the world would you buy both?..... :nono:

Kinda pointless to buy HD-DVD at this point. Toshiba has announced they halted all production of new ones, and no one is carrying HD-DVD anymore.

They already announced they would be making Transformers for Blu-Ray. They just don't have a release date at this time. Face it, HD-DVD is dead, game over.

A reason to buy HD-DVD would be if you don't care about the HD aspect, right now it's about the same price as a decent DVD player so if anyone buys an HD player then the only reason to do so is really just to use it mainly as a DVD player. If you can get a deal where you get several HD titles for free with it and you have an HD TV then why not, if it's $65 or $70 it's not really a huge investment.

well how do you like the Blue Ray player is it worth investing money into?

That's really an individual thing, for me I normally am an early adoptor of new technology. Not one of the first, but usually ahead of the masses.

I've only watched 1 movie on Blu Ray so far (Unforgiven) and it looked great, but a regular DVD looks great too.

I have Spiderman 3 on Blu Ray, it came with my PS3 but I haven't watched it yet.

Now, the Super Bowl in HD on the Blu-Ray looks 10 times better than my DVD copy. The DVD copy looks good but Blu Ray looks so much better.

For my purposes, I believe it was worth it. I got the PS3 so I killed 2 birds with 1 stone, I was going to get a Wii so getting a game was in the cards anyway, this way I got a game and a Blu Ray player.

I love the Blu-Ray dvd player. I watched "Rocky Balboa" on Blu Ray last night and the HD was awesome!