Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

An all-time new lowest of the low.

F_0_US_soldier_puppy_screen_320.jpg

Angry backlash to video of Marine throwing puppy

Richard Maxton with AAP

4/03/2008 4:30:00 PM.

VIDEO: WARNING DISTURBING FOOTAGE: YouTube video of Marine throwing puppy off cliff

There has been strong global backlash to an internet video that shows a US Marine throwing a puppy off a cliff in.

The video shows two Marines joking while one holds up a black and white puppy, which he then hurls into a ravine.

Military officials are investigating the video. Major Chris Perrine of the Marine Corps Base Hawaii says it appears the man is part of a unit based in the islands.

Marine officials have called the YouTube video "shocking and deplorable" saying it violates "the high standard we expect of every Marine"

Users of the video share website have also condemned the video.

There has been a flood of angry comments to the YouTube page, with some users posting one of the Marine's name and home address, urging people to protest at his house.

Warning: The attached video contains highly disturbing footage.

Source.

This kind of crap makes me sick. What kind of low-life scum would even think to do something like this?! I hope this guy and his buddies get the strictest possible punishment.

:laugh::laugh::bow:

Edited by WishfireOmega

This cretin has already been identified and the Marine Corp. have promised that he will be punished.

I saw the video and I am not convinced it wasn't edited or faked. Until there is a forensic analysis I'll leave open that possibility. In fact, it surprises me how many people accept it as factual given our state of technology and ease of video editing. Why not wait until the investigation and factual analysis is complete instead of rushing to a lynch mob type justice - which is exactly what posting his name and address is - what if he has children or other family members that are injured when people attack his home?

I also never cease to be amazed at how incensed people become over cruelty to a puppy but blithely dismiss abuse of children.

If this proves to be a real event - I'm sure they will be prosecuted - and deservedly so; I just wish public outcry would work against perpetrators of crimes against children to the same extent this case is getting.

And if it is real, I consider it an isolated event in light of other stories I have read about how hard soldiers have worked to rescue stray dogs in Iraq.

I didn't realize that there was a possibility of this being fake. Good point UH!

This story comes close to where I live...

Monroe family threatened over video of soldier throwing pup

080304_marine_puppy.jpg

Story Published: Mar 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM PST

Story Updated: Mar 4, 2008 at 5:47 PM PST

By KOMO Staff

fisher_videoicon.gif Watch the story

MONROE, Wash. -- The controversial Internet video that purports to show a Marine throwing a puppy off a rocky cliff has triggered threats against a local family related to the soldier shown in the video.

The U.S. Marine Corps has identified the man who appears to throw the dog as a 22-year-old lance corporal. KOMO 4 News has learned the Marine's family lives in Monroe, though his name has not been released by military officials.

The Marine belongs to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Regiment based in Hawaii -- a unit that has returned from a tour in Iraq. Military officials said the video was apparently taped in the town of Haditha, Iraq. Military officials say the Marine has been pulled from training for the duration of the investigation.

"This is a shocking and deplorable video that contrary to the highest standards we set for every Marine," said Christopher Perrine with the U.S. Marine Corps. "We will investigate this and take appropriate action."

Military officials have not confirmed the authenticity of the tape, nor have they addressed the speculation that the puppy may have already been dead when the video was shot. The speculations stem from the grainy nature of the video which blurs the details, including the puppy's facial expression while being held by the scruff of the neck.

The 15-second video, which was posted to the video sharing Web site bebo.com, triggered public outrage. Some who believed they knew the Marine posted the phone number and address of his Monroe family on the Internet, prompting harassment.

The family reportedly received threatening phone calls over the weekend, but did not report them to the police. Snohomish County sheriff's spokesperson Rebecca Hover said patrol cars have been circling the home to make sure the family is left alone. The family has disconnected the phone line, according to the Everett Herald newspaper.

The video has also made the Marine himself the target of a firestorm.

"I cannot fathom the kind of stress our men and women are going through overseas but regardless of that, these kinds of activities and these kids are just unacceptable," said Kawehi Yim with the Hawaiian Humane Society.

On the Internet, a number of Web sites and blogs have posted comments calling him a "puppy killer."

I also never cease to be amazed at how incensed people become over cruelty to a puppy but blithely dismiss abuse of children.

It's like the tuna net controversy from the 80s - early 90s. Animal rights activists were all up in arms about maybe 2 dolphins getting caught in a net that would catch 100,000 tuna - and be completely oblivious as to the plight of the tuna!.

Not to be contrary to outcry that I would love to support, but that doesn't look like a real, live dog. It doesn't move at all, doesn't seem to be breathing, etc.

For some reason, the video looks like it's been edited.

I would have to see more evidence.

As far as i am concerned, this movie is a fake. The dog was not trying to run in the air, as it would do if it were thrown. Also, the dog doesn't move at all through the whole movie. and if you look after he throws it, as it is flying threw the air, it moves wrong. it goes end over end, instead of flying sideways, upways, downways, anyways... a real dog would move itself around quite a bit, not just stay still, especially if it was a puppy. Also, i can't see its eyes... to me, i think its fake.

As far as i am concerned, this movie is a fake. The dog was not trying to run in the air, as it would do if it were thrown. Also, the dog doesn't move at all through the whole movie. and if you look after he throws it, as it is flying threw the air, it moves wrong. it goes end over end, instead of flying sideways, upways, downways, anyways... a real dog would move itself around quite a bit, not just stay still, especially if it was a puppy. Also, i can't see its eyes... to me, i think its fake.

Just how do you know how dogs move when they're flying through the air?

Dogs move a lot. I am not an animal person, but even I know this first hand. The dog does not move once in the whole video. That screams "fake" to me.

Maybe if I could see a higher res version of it, but youtube quality is just too low to tell anything.

Dogs move a lot. I am not an animal person, but even I know this first hand. The dog does not move once in the whole video. That screams "fake" to me.

Maybe if I could see a higher res version of it, but youtube quality is just too low to tell anything.

Puppies being held by the scruff of their necks don't move a lot. In fact, they move as little as possible. If a puppy is being carried around by its mother, well... movement + mother's teeth = injury. This is true of many animals that get carried by their scruff... dogs, wolves, cats, etc.

As for after the throw, the puppy is tumbling end over end, so it's difficult to tell what other movements, if any, it's making.

Edited by WishfireOmega

Ok, if you look at the puppy as it is flying through the air, it is easy to see that it is not moving its paws at all. And i take this firsthand, as sometimes i get mad at annoying dogs and throw them.. when flying through the air they do move a lot.. also, the whines just don't seemt o fit the video... and when it hits the ground there isn't any dust cloud.. and it also just seems to "Disappear" into the ground... ehhhh, what say you

It's a poor quality video but when I look at it - it seems like it was edited when he takes his arm back and then when he moves his arm forward - you can't really see if he has anything in his hand at that time - sort of like how they throw in stunt doubles in film - they do it so fast you don't usually see the switch (sometimes you do).

It's a poor quality video but when I look at it - it seems like it was edited when he takes his arm back and then when he moves his arm forward - you can't really see if he has anything in his hand at that time - sort of like how they throw in stunt doubles in film - they do it so fast you don't usually see the switch (sometimes you do).

They're professional soldiers, not professional actors. Going through the video frame by frame, it's obvious he threw something. Whether alive or dead (or a stuffed toy), that's not so obvious. But if it's a stuffed animal (and I'm not talking taxidermy), that's one hell of a fake... especially in Iraq.

The True lowest of the low IMO are the people making death threats against a person they believe to be the man in the video and his family - lowest of the low to those that published the name and address as well.

Mob violence never equals justice. I don't know if his family includes parent, spouse, children or what - but do they really deserve to die because they're related to someone who may be the man in the film.