Sign in to follow this  
Vic

New Federation Captain Cast for 'Star Trek XI'

Fahan Tahir to play heroic Federation Captain.

By T'Bonz

March 2, 2008 - 5:10 AM

The casting of Fahan Tahir in an important role as an atypical Trek movie captain was announced recently.

As reported at Trekmovie.com, another Star Trek XI role has been cast and a forty-four year old Pakistani actor has landed what is described as a "meaty" and "heroic" role. His Star Trek XI role will have plenty of action scenes and Tahir is reported to have a stunt double.

Tahir is known for his work on both 24 and Sleeper Cell, where he played villains, as well as other TV guest and recurring roles. He will be appearing in the forthcoming Iron Man, again as a villain.

Unlike many past Star Trek movie captains who were weak or flawed, such as Terrell (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan), Esteban (Star Trek: The Search for Spock) and Harriman (Star Trek: Generations), this unnamed captain will be strong and heroic. "Being a captain in Starfleet should be a special position and we don’t feel that another captain has to be diminished in order to elevate Captain Kirk," explained Robert Orci, co-writer and executive producer of Star Trek XI.

Tahir's character's name is unknown, but since it is listed as a new role, it is unlikely to be that of Captain April. Rumor has it that his ship is of an earlier design than the USS Enterprise NCC 1701.

To read more, head to the article located here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/020308_01.shtml

Garth was Pakistani?

Well, just because he's a Pakistani actor doesn't mean he can't play someone from another planet in Trek. Who knows?

Garth was Pakistani?

Well, just because he's a Pakistani actor doesn't mean he can't play someone from another planet in Trek. Who knows?

It's been confirmed that this a new character, so its not Garth of Izar. Aside from which, Garth of Izar was played by a white Czechoslovakian.

Does anyone remember when the Tennis Pro from India played a Starship Captain in ST IV-TVH?

I do. He's on a station or a ship that is losing power as the Probe goes by on its way to Earth.

It was a starship that was hoping to get a Solar Sail deployed by its Chief Engineer to maintain Life Support.

I wonder if he could be Capt. Garrovick, perhaps he and Kirks first meeting?

The character's name has been confirmed as Capt. Robau.

I bet its Garth of Izar!..That would be cool!

That would have required someone to actually know Trek's history. Possible, if the writers did research but if Abrams wrote the script then I doubt that would happen. I have no idea who wrote it though.

I bet its Garth of Izar!..That would be cool!

That would have required someone to actually know Trek's history. Possible, if the writers did research but if Abrams wrote the script then I doubt that would happen. I have no idea who wrote it though.

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (M:I:III, Transformers, Fringe) wrote the script through most of its iterations. Orci is a hard-core Trekkie and Kurtzman is a Trekkie but not quite to Orci's level. However, both have read Trek novels, so you get some idea of how into Star Trek they are. Abrams and Damon Lindelof (Lost) did the final polish on the script, IIRC. Lindelof is a pretty hard-core Trekkie as well, and Abrams is more of a lapsed casual Trekkie, I believe. All four are executive producers on the film and Bryan Burk (Lost) (who is a complete Trek novice) is as well.