Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Retro Review: Peak Performance

I've always thought this was a good early episode but it also highlights the "Wonder Kid" Wesley saves the day syndrome that the early seasons had a problem with.

The Wesley character had a place on the show but they just played it up way too much and made his role way too important. He should have been more of a background character like Alexander was for Worf in later seasons.

I've always thought this was a good early episode but it also highlights the "Wonder Kid" Wesley saves the day syndrome that the early seasons had a problem with.

The Wesley character had a place on the show but they just played it up way too much and made his role way too important. He should have been more of a background character like Alexander was for Worf in later seasons.

I agree. I think it is too bad that it had such a backlash effect against Wil Wheaton. It wasn't his fault that Wesley Crusher was Gene Roddenberry's Mary Sue character. They really started to tone it down by season 3 and that's when I started to like the character more.

Another thing I liked about this episode is it showed a new dynamic in the relationship between Data and Kate Pulaski. The PTB really miscalculated when they introduced her character as people couldn't forgive her for initially treating Data as just a machine. I think if they had handled her introduction differently people would have seen that she was a much superior character to Beverly Crusher.