Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Is TNG dated?

Here in the UK, TNG has moved to Bravo from a more prominant listing on Sky One. BBC Two also shows some episodes however this is in the early hours of saturday mornings. When it was on Sky One, I often flicked over to Sky One HD and it looked terrible! Really grainy like a painting by Georges Seurat. On Bravo now, it looks quite grainy and dated. We are spoiled with digital images filmed in high quality.

I think when the guys behind TOS remastered are done, they are going to turn to TNG, in particular the earlier episodes. This woul dbe good and may start a while new revival of interest for younger viewers to whom episodes of TNG like The Naked Now look as dated to as the Naked Time did to us in our lates 20s onwards ...

Just one thing though! I hope the Borg stay scary and not like Voyager - ie a pink furry dice flying through space ...

I don't have HD television but I wouldn't say any series looked dated because television technology has changed. The images may not be as good but the stories, to me, are not dated and that's more important IMO. Any series that was filmed pre-HD is going to suffer the same fate of not looking as good but I doubt most of them hold up as well as Trek.

To me, the only visual effects that look dated are from the first and second seasons. After that, starting season three and the new uniforms, they finally figured out what they wanted the show to look like.

I think the bad video quality has to do with the broadcaster and the format that they broadcast in. I can watch an episode on TV and it looks bad, then I pop my DVD in and watch that same exact episode on the same exact TV and it looks great.

Maybe I've been using bad DVDs then because the ones I've rented make the first season or so look dated.

Dated in terms of the Video quality or in terms of Writing/Directing/Acting quality?

It isn;t just the effects and picture quality that looked dated in the beginning. The 1980s knitwear, pastel decor and the undetailed Okuda-grams in the background added to what is now a dated look.

However, in saying that, the mini-viewscreens are flat and white and recently I bought a flat white lcd tv...

I don't have HD television but I wouldn't say any series looked dated because television technology has changed. The images may not be as good but the stories, to me, are not dated and that's more important IMO. Any series that was filmed pre-HD is going to suffer the same fate of not looking as good but I doubt most of them hold up as well as Trek.

I strongly agree. It has always been the stories that have atracted me to Trek, along with interesting characters who are explored in detail. To me the story and characters are crucial and will outweigh some weaknesses in special effects or customing and sets.

To me, the only visual effects that look dated are from the first and second seasons. After that, starting season three and the new uniforms, they finally figured out what they wanted the show to look like.

An excellent point by MrPsychic about figuring out the right look and feel of the series. The writing imo really hit its stride in seasons three and four and continued on strong.

Edited by trekz

Supposedly, once they're done with the Remastered TOS Episodes, they're going to be remastering TNG with all new effects and making all of the episodes HD as well.

Dated in terms of the Video quality or in terms of Writing/Directing/Acting quality?

I was wondering the same thing, VBG. For example, I like to mock the early 90s hair, but it doesn't necessarily detract from the plot for me (unless it's Tasha, but that's all on her own merits and only due in small part to her Corey Haim in The Lost Boys-esque haircut).

I don't think the writing has dated, but the special effects, sets and costumes, particularly in the early seasons, have dated.

The problem with Starfleet uniforms is that Robert Blackman tries to make them look "futuristic". Like Irvin Kershner says, doing that immediately dates them.

The problem with Starfleet uniforms is that Robert Blackman tries to make them look "futuristic". Like Irvin Kershner says, doing that immediately dates them.

I don't think the problem with uniforms looking dated lies with the ones designed by Robert Blackman. William Ware "Bill" Theiss was responsible for the original TNG uniforms for seasons 1 & 2 which weren't the greatest design IMO. Robert Blackman redesigned the uniforms for season 3 although he was a little handcuffed because he couldn't change their overall appearance. Robert Blackman also designed the uniforms used for DS9, VOY and ENT.

Well it's made me happy seeing it just as it is for years and it is still fine. High tech super dupper enhanced media is not whats important nor special effects, its the story and the characters....but alas I guess I am old fashioned.

I have to agree with others that it is the story that has always mattered to me, and Trek has always been able to deliver that. I also have to say that the quality of the episodes on dvd is just fine for me, but I am not one of those that believes that everything has to look more real than real life either.

I don't think the problem with uniforms looking dated lies with the ones designed by Robert Blackman. William Ware "Bill" Theiss was responsible for the original TNG uniforms for seasons 1 & 2 which weren't the greatest design IMO. Robert Blackman redesigned the uniforms for season 3 although he was a little handcuffed because he couldn't change their overall appearance. Robert Blackman also designed the uniforms used for DS9, VOY and ENT.

I find Blackman's designs to be just as bad as Theiss'

Off course does TNG looks dated. It's 20 years old. What do you expect. I have a DVD, but still it looks dated. The use of camera is dated, the special effects are dated, the whole series is dated.

You can never change that. TOS remastered still looks dated, and will never attract new audience. It's a tribute to a serie. TNG is set in the 1980's and that's is clearly visable. SOmebody like Troi on the bridge, typical 80's. Everything must be politcal correct, typical 80's.

Don't get me wrong, the series is great, the storylines are never outdated!, but the serie itself. yes, it will never change, you don't want to change it.

I always thought the whole Hotel Lobby look of the corridors was am attempt too far to make the ship homely. Because at the end of the day, you do not see many military vessels with potted plants, lilac carpets and glass tables with vases of lillies plopped round everywhere. First contact changed that for the better with the chrome more military Enterprise. I mean, what happens during all those attacks? Is there a "decor" team who run around rehanging all the wall art? You would pretty annoyed if your career was ended because you were hit in the face with a flying crystal floral arrangment whilst jogging up a walkway to your post, and lost an eye! Yes, I know, it was supposed to be a family friendly home as well as a ship. With a psychologist on board, so that everyone could discuss their feelings, etc etc. But the best Trek are those episodes where the Enterprise is a bad-@55 ship ready for battle. And not so much the Ideal Home Show on tour.

Uniform wise I prefer Blackman's more militaristic designs to Theiss. The first two seasons do indeed look dated in the FX department imo.

did G4 clean up the FX's I know they did for TOS