Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek

What if, the one you love and wanted to marry told you it was her/him or Star Trek? ie you would have to decide between the two.

Would you:

(a) Give up the realtionship and hold out for the prospect of marrying someone who does love Star Trek,

potentially facing living the rest of your life without kids, a loving relationship and home, etc in favour of

watching your Voyager DVDs in your Seven of Nine pyjamas?

or

(:yahoo: Pack it all in, get married and enjoy your marriage to the one you love with your kids and home, but

deep down miss something which has probably been with you for a long time and which you love in a

different way?

And no, this is thankfully not a dilemma which I have to deal with! My partner doesn't care about Star Trek one way or the other but I can just dip into it in my own free time.

The only way I could conceivable see this situation occurring is if you were one of those freaks from the movie "Trekkies" who go to court dressed in a Trek uniform or who convert an entire room of your house into a TNG bridge replica or something like that. In that case, the potential partner certainly has a right to propose such an ultimatum. A normal Trek fan though can enjoy Trek in his/her own time without necessarily having to involve the husband/wife and without having to take away any time from the marriage. I would not consider my wife a Trek fan. She will watch it sometimes if I have it on but has no feelings for Trek one way or another. She "tolerates" the fact that a third of our basement is used to house Trek collectibles but I doubt that she would ever leave me over it.

What if, the one you love and wanted to marry told you it was her/him or Star Trek? ie you would have to decide between the two.

If the person I loved and wanted to marry also loved me, they wouldn't force such a choice on me.

or who convert an entire room of your house into a TNG bridge replica

I'd do that if I had the money. Imagine playing video games on a screen that big...

I don't think I could fall in love with a control freak - I certainly wouldn't want to marry one. So anyone that set "ultimatums" on anything what shows I could watch or food I could eat would be someone to avoid.

I think that I couldn't marry anybody who hates my preferite characters.

I love so much Brent that i cannot think that I could resist in a marriage without my photos, DVDs, collection of autographs...

If you should marry, it is for all the life.

If you must deny your values, or something you adore, it is the wrong person for you.

You must search for another one who understands really your soul.

I guess I'd give up Star Trek, but I would question myself if they were really the one for me if they wouldn't let me enjoy Star Trek too. Who knows what else they'd tell you to go without

Edited by Corina Arazius

I'm starting to lean more to what you guys are saying. I was thinking about it this morning, and I can't picture myself giving up Trek. Even though it is just TV, it is a part of me. You get me, you get a Trek fan.

But if you are a freak who wears your Star Trek uniform to work and has NCC 1701 painted up the side of car, and you manage to find your Yeoman Rand who is willing to wear a red scant to her wedding, and walk up the isle to Faith of the Heart ... then fair play to you!

I don't believe that I would want to be with someone who could not accept me for who I am. Yes there have to be compromises but neither person in a relationship has the right to give an ultimatum like that.

But if you are a freak who wears your Star Trek uniform to work and has NCC 1701 painted up the side of car, and you manage to find your Yeoman Rand who is willing to wear a red scant to her wedding, and walk up the isle to Faith of the Heart ... then fair play to you!

YEAH, SO!! WHAT ABOUT IT????? chair.gif

J/K

I lucked out an married one of the coolest girls on the planet....

Beautiful, strong will, brillant, and she loves Star Trek......

Loving Star Trek wasn't a prerequisite, but it certainly was a major plus :blink:

Edited by I.Q.

Although M wasn't' a fan when we meet it only took a couple episodes for her to see what all the fuss was about.

If she hadn't become a fan I cannot see it causing us to break up, she and I both have other interests which we both do not share but we live in harmony with that.

She likes Punk but I am a Rocker, I like Sci-Fi but her favorite is Horror.

Marriage is all about compromise. Each of us has our own likes and dislikes and if one partner makes that kind of ultamatium then maybe it's not the right relationship to be in.

I married the man I loved and at the same time was introduced to Star Trek. His likes became my likes; it's all about compromise.

A person I love would come first before a TV show, no question. But I would miss Trek

That's very sweet and true, but let's face it, the reality of it is that getting married is about the whole package.

I would think this sort of thing would be applicable if you were an extreme watcher, and even then, if the possible future partner was really into you, they'd just ask you to tone it down a bit.

That being said, I know alot of folks who put their personal relationships on hold so that they can watch their favorite sport, WWE, or other interests.

Can it actually be that Madam Butterfly has come back?!!!..... :flowers:

She's aallllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvve!!! :innocent:

:P

Welcome back my dear!

Thanks Kor!

I was away for many reasons, but a while back I was diagnosed with a disease that causes non malignant growths in your head. I'd had it years ago, only one growth though, and the treatment went well, very quickly. This time their were alot more. About the same time as this I became really disillusioned with many Trek sites, basically I felt too many people on them were nutters. :P That they didn't represent the values that Trek itself did. So I decided with being ill, it would be just easier if I left Trek sites all together and had one or two small sites with some very close friends that I would pass time at.

I've had 3 MRI's now that show everything is all clear, and I'm slowly beginning to revisit all those placed I used to love.

How's things at your end?

Can it actually be that Madam Butterfly has come back?!!!..... :P

She is back... and that avitar looks gooood!

I've been lucky in that all of my past girlfriends knew I was a Trekkie before we started dating. Most of them were Trekkies themselves.

Thanks Kor!

I was away for many reasons, but a while back I was diagnosed with a disease that causes non malignant growths in your head. I'd had it years ago, only one growth though, and the treatment went well, very quickly. This time their were alot more. About the same time as this I became really disillusioned with many Trek sites, basically I felt too many people on them were nutters. :P That they didn't represent the values that Trek itself did. So I decided with being ill, it would be just easier if I left Trek sites all together and had one or two small sites with some very close friends that I would pass time at.

I've had 3 MRI's now that show everything is all clear, and I'm slowly beginning to revisit all those placed I used to love.

How's things at your end?

Sorry about your health scare! I'm so glad its better now. Things on my end are going pretty well, thank you.... :innocent:

Edited by Kor37

My fiancee has said me or ST as a joke only she would never deal m,e the real ultimatum if I did I would question the relationship.

If anyone would say Trek before marriage, then I'd venture a guess that you are a perma-virgin.

STAR TREK!

When I date girls, it doesn't take long before they discover I'm a Star Trek fan. It's almost one of the first things they learn about me. So they know a life with me would mean me watching Star Trek, going to conventions, doing things with the local Fan Club and occasionally dress-up. See, I let them know BEFORE the relationship gets too serious.

There are plenty of fish in the sea and some like Star Trek.