Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RikerChick

Rainbow over Phoenix

I took these from my front yard yesterday. We always have really beautiful rainbows here but this one seemed especially bright. It's actually a double rainbow, the fainter one is over the bright one if you look closely.

2mo5dn4.jpg

2mwyut2.jpg

6xw9c3.jpg

Thanks for sharing the great rainbow pics! A number of my former Illinois cousins have moved to the Phoenix area in the last several years. It seems to always be hot when I'm there, but they seem to love it. I'm more comfortabel by the Grand Canyon, around Tucson, or Flagstaff, but have only visited briefly there too.

Phoenix gets incredibly hot in the summer. I was there 2 years ago. We went out at night and it was 115 degrees! This was at night after the sun ahd gone down! It felt like someone was holding a hair dryer to your face.

I was in Phoenix last summer for a conference. Kor isn't exaggerating about the heat. However, as cliche as it sounds, you don't really feel it as much because it is a dry heat. I was outside in jeans and a black sweater, and of course I felt a little warm, but it wasn't stifling.

Yeah 110+ at night isn't unusual in the summer. Those are the best nights IMO. The thing is it's dry as a bone except for monsoon. That makes a HUGE difference. I went to LA last summer for the big Star Wars convention and the humidity there was killing me even though it was over 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. I couldn't wait to get back to 115 but dry. The hottest official temp I've seen is 121 but the thermometer out on my back porch has reached 129 in the shade.