Sign in to follow this  
Trekmachine

Urban Talks Star Trek XI

Karl Urban actively pursued getting the role of Leonard McCoy and has tried to be faithful to the character.

As reported at IGN.com, Karl Urban is enjoying portraying Dr. Leonard McCoy. The role was one that he "actively pursued and was very fortunate enough to be offered."

Urban will play McCoy trying to be faithful to the spirit of the original character. "It is a case of not doing some sort of facsimile or carbon copy," he explained, "but really taking the very essence of what DeForest has done and honoring that and bringing something new to the table."

Having viewed Star Trek since childhood, Urban did not need to rewatch old episodes of the show to prepare for his role of McCoy. "I didn't actually even have to go out of my way to re-watch old episodes," he said, laughing. "I've just been watching them for over 20 years!"

Urban was unable to say whether the young McCoy would be a more physical version. "I can't divulge any secrets. I would love to spill the beans, but I'm really not at liberty to say," he explained. Instead, he praised J.J. Abrams. "I just will say that the project as a whole is very faithful to the original series and I think that J.J. has a very fresh and exciting approach and I think that he's an incredibly talented visionary. I believe that he is going to reinvigorate this franchise in a really healthy, positive and exciting way."

He also felt that the fans would enjoy Star Trek XI. "I really think that the Trekkers and the long time fans will be really pleased with it," he said. "because it really does honor the very spirit of what we are all really quite crazy about, in a good way."

http://www.trektoday.com/news/100108_01.shtml