Sign in to follow this  
SeeingEyeBorg

Dukat or Damar?

...he knew how to handle the Dominion. The was no walking over that mofo; if Weyoun said something he didn't agree with, he Hell, no'd it and that was the end of discussion. <_<

*shrug* For the most part any way.

And Weyoun kinda respected Dukat, I think...because he wasn't drowning at the bottom of a bottle of kanar.

So anyway...do we have any published Star Trek novelists on this site?

...he knew how to handle the Dominion. The was no walking over that mofo; if Weyoun said something he didn't agree with, he Hell, no'd it and that was the end of discussion. <_<

*shrug* For the most part any way.

And Weyoun kinda respected Dukat, I think...because he wasn't drowning at the bottom of a bottle of kanar.

So anyway...do we have any published Star Trek novelists on this site?

David R. George III is a member of this site and posts occassionally.

Not exactly a Trek author but David Reddick, who creates the "Trek Life" comic strip is also a member and posts occassionally.

And will anyone be attending the "Shore Leave" Con where you can meet and learn tips from the novelists? Dabo Queen and are kinda considering it.

If the guests are good, I usually attend "Shore Leave" since its only about a 20 minute drive from my house. MrPsychic may also go.

If you two go, I'll definitely go just to meet you both irregardless of who the guests are!... <_<

No guests have been announced yet but here is their site:

http://www.shore-leave.com/

If you go, try to make the Klingon Feast. I went two years ago and its a blast!

I'm on vacation that week.

Maybe I'll pop down there....

Now THAT would be great! Gummy, Kor, MrPsychic, Dabo Queen and Seeing Eye Borg all at the same con!... <_<

Edited by Kor37

If you go, try to make the Klingon Feast. I went two years ago and its a blast!

What does all that entail? Who usually shows up for it?

Its a dinner where you eat regular food that is made up to look like Klingon food. There is also a bar ( :clap: ). The best thing is that one or more of the Con guests are there as well mingling among you. Last time I went, Spice Williams and Tony Todd were both there. Its a lot of fun.

BTW: I'll make you all a deal. If all of the above mentioned people show up for the con, I will take you all out to dinner on me!... :) .........and before MrPsychic asks.....no....I don't mean McDonalds. I mean a nice restaurant..... :laugh:

Its a dinner where you eat regular food that is made up to look like Klingon food. There is also a bar ( :) ). The best thing is that one or more of the Con guests are there as well mingling among you. Last time I went, Spice Williams and Tony Todd were both there. Its a lot of fun.

BTW: I'll make you all a deal. If all of the above mentioned people show up for the con, I will take you all out to dinner on me!... :hug: .........and before MrPsychic asks.....no....I don't mean McDonalds. I mean a nice restaurant..... :laugh:

Dinner on Kor???

I'm SO there! :clap:

I always saw Dukat as a jack-booted Nazi. Hated him. But a part of me was also drawn to the character. I could almost see myself following Dukat, if I'd been a Cardassian. But in the end, I could never get past the fact that he was a representation of fascism. The same for Damar.

I always saw Dukat as a jack-booted Nazi. Hated him. But a part of me was also drawn to the character. I could almost see myself following Dukat, if I'd been a Cardassian. But in the end, I could never get past the fact that he was a representation of fascism. The same for Damar.

I totally feel you on that!! But do you think we're drawn to the actual character, or to the charisma of the actor?

I give a lot of the credit to Marc Alaimo's natural charisma. If that guy had gone into politics he would have been something else. <_<

Dukat/Weyoun '08! :elephant:

what I like about Damar is his complete character change. I mean, a lot of people hated his guts when he killed Ziyal. Then he basically becomes a hero to the new Cardassia and dies as one. Great writing done for that character. Hated him originally for what he did, then ended up liking him when he helped the rise on Cardassia against the Dominion

I thought Damar was a really good character and a good way to follow Dukat, the Student following in his mentors foot steps. Dukat was a great character too, you start off hating him then they make you almost like him and finally the turn him into the ultimater Trek bad guy.

I like Dukat because Marc Alaimo is a native Milwaukeean like myself. In fact, we are from the same neighborhood. A great character that was portrayed with stunning effectiveness and believability. I would consider Damar to be one of my fave characters of all time because he was a guy that came full circle in the saga. He was a lowly navigator aboard the Gruemoll with Dukat, became a revolutionary alongside Dukat fighting those despicable creatures commonly referred to as Klingons, killed that traitorous wretch Ziyal (I know some of you like her, but she betrayed her father and i just can't repsect that at all), kicked his drinking habit and eventually became the symbol of martyrdom by leading the fight against the Dominion on Cardassia Prime which was a necessary step in order for the combined Klingon,Romulan, and Starfleet taskforce to win the war against an enemy that up to then was implacable. Damar was a great character that also illustrated how necessary it is to stand up for what is right. :P

Damar...killed that traitorous wretch Ziyal (I know some of you like her, but she betrayed her father and i just can't repsect that at all)

Yeah, but he kept either trying to kill her or leaving her to die. Doesn't exactly inspire loyalty if you ask me. She wanted so much to love him and be a part of his life, but when push came to shove, he kept showing her just how expendable she was. Until she actually died, of couse. That's when Dukat finally realized that a universe without Ziyal just might suck.

And Klingons rule, luv.

Damar...killed that traitorous wretch Ziyal (I know some of you like her, but she betrayed her father and i just can't repsect that at all)
Yeah, but he kept either trying to kill her or leaving her to die.
Doesn't exactly inspire loyalty if you ask me. She wanted so much to love him and be a part of his life, but when push came to shove, he kept showing her just how expendable she was. Until she actually died, of couse. That's when Dukat finally realized that a universe without Ziyal just might suck.

And Klingons rule, luv.

When did he "keep trying to kill her or leave her to die?" Citations please? :P

....."klingons ruling" is a bit of a personal opinion, but If that were really the case then why couldn't they bring the Dominion down w/o the help of the Cardassians,Romulans, and Federation? Sounds to me like they leave a lot to be desired as far as "ruling" goes........ not to mention the stench they leave behind as evidenced by comments made in numerous trek eps from Starfleet,Romulan,Cardassian and Vulcan characters. :blink:

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

....."klingons ruling" is a bit of a personal opinion, but If that were really the case then why couldn't they bring the Dominion down w/o the help of the Cardassians,Romulans, and Federation? Sounds to me like they leave a lot to be desired as far as "ruling" goes........ not to mention the stench they leave behind as evidenced by comments made in numerous trek eps from Starfleet,Romulan,Cardassian and Vulcan characters.

HEY!.........I resemble that remark!..... :P

Gee, let's see.

Dukat carried the asinine belief that he should execute his own daughter to restore his family honor simply because he couldn't keep it in his pants while in Bajoran territory (DS9:"Indiscretion"). Then, when the changeling-Bashir-creature person tried to blow up the Bajoran sun, Dukat didn't flinch at the fact had the plan succeeded, his own daughter would've perished (DS9:"By Inferno's Light"). Just FYI. :blink:

Furthermore, Klingons rule. :P Yeah. That's right. I said it again. :blow: And as you can see on my Klingons vs. Cardassians thread, I'm right. They may stink, they may appear rough and uncivilized, but I can't help but notice how they inspire consistently awe, fascination, and fear. No matter the series, Klingons tend be featured in some of THE best episodes. I've heard lots about "the Klingon Feasts" but I don't hear about Vulcan, Romulan, or Cardassian gatherings. And let's not forget that the beloved character Worf appeared longer than any other Star Trek character.

Gee, let's see.

Dukat carried the

asinine belief
that he should execute his own daughter to restore his family honor simply because he couldn't keep it in his pants while in Bajoran territory (DS9:"Indiscretion"). Then, when the changeling-Bashir-creature person tried to blow up the Bajoran sun,
Dukat didn't flinch at the fact had the plan succeeded, his own daughter would've perished (DS9:"By Inferno's Light"). Just FYI. :)

Furthermore, Klingons rule. :dude: Yeah. That's right. I said it again. :blow: And as you can see on my Klingons vs. Cardassians thread, I'm right. They may stink, they may appear rough and uncivilized, but I can't help but notice how they inspire consistently awe, fascination, and fear. No matter the series, Klingons tend be featured in some of THE best episodes. I've heard lots about "the Klingon Feasts" but I don't hear about Vulcan, Romulan, or Cardassian gatherings.

And let's not forget that the beloved character Worf appeared longer than any other Star Trek character.

Hmmm. You seem to excel at speculation.Yes, Cardassians have a different code of honor when it comes to producing children in adulterous affairs.Thats not a big secret. You're not being very factual at all :P . Actually, more repetitive than anything.

Your personal bias towards ziyal is gravely influencing your judgment here. Anyways, believe what you want. Your interpretations are far from convincing :lol:

As far as worf being on tv for so long, A long resume does not necessarily equal a good or beloved character. In fact, most of the worf eps were pure filler with little or no character development at all.Although i did get a laugh in "By Inferno's Light" when that Jem Hadar was beating the hell out your "beloved character" :vbg::love: Wait, we did learn that he was a deadbeat dad. There's something to be proud of :blink: .

Actually Major Hayes, Worf didn't shirk his duties as a father. He knew he couldn't take care of Alexander, so he sent him to a safe and loving home of his parents. Your main argument from before about Klingon's "stench" is just a bad attempt at humour in the best case or racist in the worst case. About Dukat, he openly told Kira that he wanted to kill Ziyal the time they found her, but he couldn't do it. Instead of killing her, Dukat took her in and became a smothering parent, to the point of blindly ignoring anything "wrong" that she did. When she wouldn't go with him, during the evac of Terok Nor, Damar shot her to get Dukat to just go with him. Another thing, the way you talk to others, you don't actually address what they say, you just insult them and roll your eyes. In your last post, you ignored what SeeingEyeBorg said about other species gatherings, instead, you just insulted her in her like of a different character. Next time, you might want to focus more on what people actually say instead of what you interpret.

Actually Major Hayes,
Worf didn't shirk his duties as a father. He knew he couldn't take care of Alexander,
so he sent him to a safe and loving home of his parents. Your main argument from before about Klingon's "stench" is just a bad attempt at humour in the best case or racist in the worst case. About Dukat,
he openly told Kira that he wanted to kill Ziyal the time they found her, but he couldn't do it. Instead of killing her, Dukat took her in
and became a smothering parent, to the point of blindly ignoring anything "wrong" that she did. When she wouldn't go with him, during the evac of Terok Nor, Damar shot her to get Dukat to just go with him. Another thing, the way you talk to others, you don't actually address what they say, you just insult them and roll your eyes. In your last post, you ignored what SeeingEyeBorg said about other species gatherings, instead, you just insulted her in her like of a different character.
Next time, you might want to focus more on what people actually say instead of what you interpret.

Actually, sending his kid to live with his stepparents is shirking his duty :) Thats an easy out.

Yes, Dukat couldn't kill Ziyal. That was my point, thanks for re-iterating it. :)

Next time, you might want to focus on yourself and stay out of others disagreements. Last time i checked you were not a moderator here. seeingeyeborg is a big girl. She can take care of herself. I don't think she needs you to speak for her :o :)

....oh, and as far as any "bad attempt at humor" Try not to assume too much. You do realize that klingons actually don't exist right? :)

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

I'm not speaking for her, nor am I acting like a mod. I'm just posting what I noticed. Once again, you failed to really talk about anything, and admit to fighting.

I'm not speaking for her, nor am I acting like a mod. I'm just posting what I noticed. Once again, you failed to really talk about anything, and admit to fighting.

Easy now, keyboard "warrior". You have me laughing so hard at your feigned reticence that i may break a rib. :) Anyways, I have better things to do with my time than debate this issue with someone that is only intent on trying to provoke an argument. Sorry, I won't take the bait. I save my debating for worthy opponents. :)

You do realize that klingons actually don't exist right?

well we don't know that now do we? lol

but i didn't really like dukat. if you really think about it, dukat set up so many people for his quest for power and the dominance of the bajorian people. i mean he practically set up damar so he'd be the one to blame for the dominion's failure. and in turn when the federation retook ds9, damar didn't cast the blame on himself, he blamed sisko and kira.