Sign in to follow this  
SeeingEyeBorg

TNG: The Offspring

Dabo Queen and I were wondering (and y'all fine folks can help us figure this out)...when Data had Lal, why did we have to go through the Measure-of-a-Man song and dance all over again? Even with the ruling of Soong-type androids being sentient and free beings, we still had some presumptuous, arrogant Admiral showing up uninvited and making everyone's lives unnecessarily difficult. Was this just to create the necessary "difficulty" in the ep, or was it just poor writing? :yahoo:

And why do the top brass keep saying Data (and later Lal) was the only Soong-type android in existence? Did they not get the Captain's logs about his psycho brother Lore? When Maddox and Data became buddies, was Maddoox not gettin' the fully family history?

Because I would really like to see some snooty experts try to capture and experiment on Lore. IMO, he'd slit every throat on board en route to the Daystrom Institute. :dude:

I think that the Admirals are the mirror of a wrong point of view about the progress of the mankind. There are some militars who had no moral conscience but think that all is possible in order to preserve the mankind and in order to obtain a scientific progress...

in this case, the Admirals hoped that the androids could be replied in a special laboratory without the help of anybody in particular, but the original projects of Dr Soong were destroyed and lost, therefore nobody was able to create a new android similar to these...

I have written a story about an hypothetical return of Data in the website www.fanfiction.net, another fans have written some stories about Lore and so on, if you are interested I will put the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/StarTrek_The_Next_Generation/

Technically speaking the ruling that was made at the hearing would apply only to androids who are in Starfleet. I think that is why we had to go through it again in The Offspring and why the protections that Data had didn't extend to Lore (ie Lore being disassembled is akin to capital punishment in some ways yet capital punishment is banned in the Federation).

There were many instances in the series where Data's protections seemed to be forgotten by the writers. I can think of at least 2 episodes after The Measure of a Man when Data was threatened with disassembly (Silicon Avatar and Clues).

There were many instances in the series where Data's protections seemed to be forgotten by the writers. I can think of at least 2 episodes after The Measure of a Man when Data was threatened with disassembly (Silicon Avatar and Clues).

That is precisely what bugs!!!

I'm with ya on this Lore thing, 'Keh...if Star Fleet wants to play Operation with a Soong-type android, then go find Lore!

Shouldn't we at least be looking for him since he's still cruisin' the universe, Crystalline Entity in tow, after trying to kill an entire ship of Star Fleet officers? I think I'd be a little bit more worried about him than the effing Romulans...

I'm with ya on this Lore thing, 'Keh...if Star Fleet wants to play Operation with a Soong-type android, then go find Lore!

Shouldn't we at least be looking for him since he's still cruisin' the universe, Crystalline Entity in tow, after trying to kill an entire ship of Star Fleet officers? I think I'd be a little bit more worried about him than the effing Romulans...

Wasn't Lore captured in that episode where he recruited those Borg? Data turned him off and stored him on the Enterprise-D. I imagine Lore got destroyed when the ship crashed.

Wasn't Lore captured in that episode where he recruited those Borg? Data turned him off and stored him on the Enterprise-D. I imagine Lore got destroyed when the ship crashed.

Yeah, but I'm saying at the point of Offspring they should've dug Lore out of MIA status if they wanted a pet android to housebreak.

Yeah, but I'm saying at the point of Offspring they should've dug Lore out of MIA status if they wanted a pet android to housebreak.

Or to do other things (*cough* *cough* Cmdr. Maddox).

Or to do other things (*cough* *cough* Cmdr. Maddox).

*cough* *cough* Give to Takara you mean!!! :lol: