Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

2007 - Your top stories

I was trying to remember some of the highlights (not that "high" light is necessarily the right term) Some stories made headlines whether we wanted to read them or not - I mean how many of us saw the words "Brittany Spears" more times than we ever wanted. And there was hype - can you say iPhone? Some stories such as the Va Tech massacre shocked and saddened us all. Some affected us more than others and some should have made more headlines than they did. But here's your chance to name your most memorable events happy or tragic of 2007.

1. The Florida Insurance Crisis - which really didn't make headlines anywhere outside of Florida but created major misery within the state. You've heard of Governors declaring a "state of emergency" after major disasters - well Governor Crist declared a state of emergency regarding insurance rates and in January 2007 issued an "executive order" prohibiting insurance companies from cancelling anyone for 90 days and any cancellation to take place during hurricance season. Then they ordered companies to reduce rates and are working to make the "taxpayer" supported insurer of last resort the largest insurer in Florida. What is going to happen is that if we ever have a repeat of the 2004 hurricane season FL taxpayers are screwed. I could go on - but I will say I shook in terror when some reporter suggested Crist may be planning a 2012 bid for the White House - apparently the guy has a 70% approval rating. These would be people who aren't reading their insurance policies and noticing the big fee they paying to bail out the State insurer from the 2004 season. I go could go on but let's say - a major source of misery in my life. Indeed Gov Crist may be the one to convert me to LVR's laissez-faire theories of government.

2. The Jericho Nuts campaign - I missed this because I was buried at work (see above) but this was a truly happy event of 2007. CBS received something like 40,000 pounds of peanuts from upset fans when they cancelled Jericho in one of the most organized fan protests in history. Jericho got a brief reprieve and will be back for 7 eps starting Feb 12th. I'm hoping the writer's strike will send more people watching what I consider one of the most original and thought provoking shows ever to hit the airwaves.

3. The Presidential campaign - I've been intrigued by some of the debates (I've watched mainly the Republican primaries - although I consider myself an independent I have to pick a party to vote in the primaries and plan to vote for Romney). Some of the campaigning has been disillusioning as usual but I've actually learned a couple of things on a couple of issues and can respect some of the candidates for their views even if I don't agree (like McCain's reason to support Bush's immigration bill). I at first was quite impressed with Gov Huckabee but have become disillusioned as he appears to be the candidate doing the most to make religion; an issue and it disturbs me that someone would vote for a candidate because he is evangelical even if he lacks experiece in foreign affairs etc. My first and foremost issue is that a businessman will understand you can't spend more than you bring in - it isn't good business - I don't think career politicians get that. Okay, and Romney said he believed the insurance industry should be deregulated - see #1 above. :yahoo:

4. Those are the news stories - there are some personal events that are memorable but probably only to me.

So, what events of 2007 impressed or affected you?

My top 2007 Stories:

The mess in the Mid-East: including the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Israeli-Palestinian fighting and the unrest in Pakistan.

The Presidential campaign: Large fields in both parties make the dabates interesting. I'm following Obama, junior Senator from Illinois and Hillary, born in Chicago and raised in nearby Park Ridge, most closely, but also like some of the positions of others including Richardson, Biden and Dodd.

The fires in S. California: A friend's sister was evacuated in the Torrey Pines area, and I was interested since I knew many areas there from back when I was stationed at Miramar.

Continued coverage on global warming, including Gore's awards, more scientific reports, and the disappearance of more glaciers and ice pack than usual (and the implications for animals and people).

Local: Rising taxes, bickering in the state legislature, and the public tranportation mess with the CTA.

Edited by reindeertrekzonnewsnow

1) The addition of so many people to this forum that actually post and contribute!

2) Capt_Picard made some friends.

3) Van Roy actually got a job.

Well, the story that broke my heart the most was the VA-Tech massacre. I have visted their campus several times for meetings and conferences, and two of my colleagues have degrees from there.

But what affected me most was the coverage. The media, from the beginning, seemed interested in two things.....the number killed ( a record!) and the shooter. They incessantly clammored for the shooters's name. And then published his writings, his thoughts..they glorified him. Once they got the shooter, they stopped talking about the students and faculty victims.

I refuse to remember the shooter or his thoughts. I decided to pick one student and remember him.....I refuse to remember the shooter. Nor will i watch the next big massacre where the media makes some psychotic the center of attention.

The student I choose to remember is Ryan Clark. He was a senior with three majors and a 4.0 gpa. He was a band member and resident assistant who lost his life coming to the aid of a fellow student. His majors were biology, psychology, and English, and he spent summers working as a camp counselor. In his short life he impacted many people with his enthusiasm and positive attitude. He had a twin brother. He's my hero, and I celebrate and remember his accomplishments.