Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Startrek.com Appears To Have A Future

CBS Interactive posts message of thanks and encouragement at 'Startrek.com'.

By T'Bonz

December 19, 2007 - 5:05 AM

At least for the short term, it appears that Startrek.com and its associated messageboards will survive the recent layoffs of its production staff.

A news item posted by Startrek.com replaced the farewell message of the production team that was laid off last week, as reported here last week.

The message thanks the fans of Star Trek.com for supporting the site and encourages future participation. "CBS Interactive, which oversees StarTrek.com, is reorganizing the way it does business to align the division's workforce with its new vision that focuses on building communities online. CBS Interactive remains absolutely committed to StarTrek.com."

This is not the first time that the site's survival seemed to be in danger. One of the persons whose job was eliminated had this to say on the Startrek.com message boards. "We went through this two years ago when Viacom and CBS split, but we had about six weeks notice. We were able to hook up with the CBS folks and get hired there to keep the site up without any disruption." That time, both the staff and the site survived the cuts.

CBS layoffs occurred last week, including but not limited to the Startrek.com production team. As reported at paidContent.org, CBS also made cuts that affected CBS.com and CBSNews.com. A company insider expressed his dismay with the recent actions: "No other old media company has scaled back their investment in online news. This is a first. That says everything you need to know about CBS. Inc’s commitment to news."

To read more, head to the article located here. The Startrek.com announcement is located here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/191207_01.shtml

I'm going to keep an eye on StarTrek.com to see if the new administrators do a better job than the pathetic crew that were just rightfully fired. Star Trek should have an official site and it should be a quality site.

I couldn't agree more, Kor.

Star Trek should have a quality site.

Whether or not the boards survive is another story.

It's up to the members there to clean up their acts (not all mind you, but the idiots that do the spamming/flamming/dueling garbage). I do go there from time to time and sometimes will venture into the message boards to see what is being said. What I see is disturbing.

Which is one of the reasons why I chose to come here to talk Trek.

I don't understand why they left the forums open for posting when there's no one there to administrate them. Right now the forums are a playground for spammers, instigators, dual posters, idiots and trolls.

OK, the situation wasn't good with the sloppy administration they had but at least they could delete offensive posts and threads. Now anyone can create a dual account and write the most insulting crap which is possible.

The Star Trek website and the forums on those site are bad publicity for Star Trek and a shame for Star Trek, its fans and CBS!

I don't understand why they left the forums open for posting when there's no one there to administrate them. Right now the forums are a playground for spammers, instigators, dual posters, idiots and trolls.

OK, the situation wasn't good with the sloppy administration they had but at least they could delete offensive posts and threads. Now anyone can create a dual account and write the most insulting crap which is possible.

The Star Trek website and the forums on those site are bad publicity for Star Trek and a shame for Star Trek, its fans and CBS!

I've never regretted my boycott of StarTrek.com. Its an embarrassament for the Star Trek franchise. I hope they come up with an administative crew which will clean it up and make the franchise proud.

It's good to know that the site as a whole will be around, but I hope they get around to moderating the message boards. They're in serious need of cleaning up.

They also need to get around to updating the home page. It hasn't been updated in several days. :look: