Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Shatner or Nimoy?

Shatner blows hot and cold. I find him to be a very self-absorbed 'me me me' type of person. 'I'm annoyed I'm not in the new movie'. 'I'm not annoyed' ... we don't really care. It's not about him. In the early series of the Sopranos, Junior is officially 'the Boss' whilst everyone knows that it is Tony who is really the main man. Same with Star Trek. Many moons ago, Shatner, growing ever annoyed with the rising popularity if the Spock character, confronts Gene Roddenberry. 'Who is the star of this show', Shatner demands? 'You are' said Gene Roddenberry. But was that true? Yes, oficially. But in reality it was Spock who was the more famous character.

Which character's name faeture's in one of the movie titles? Which character guest starred in The Next Generation? Yes, Spock was not in Generations - but he was meant to be! Nimoy politely declined as he had 'said his good-byes' gracefully at the end of The Undiscovered Country.

But now Nimoy is accepting another role, you may argue. Why, if he has said goodbye? Because Nimoy is a smart cookie. He has accepted a role in a movie which is essentially going to centre around him. It is no mistake that Spock was cast first. How many Spocks in this movie??? TWO! And we get to see a young Kirk who was cast when? After Uhuru!

Shatner says he is or isn't annoyed. He probably is. His ego is probably bursting with annoyance. Had he had his way, the story of the new film would have gone like this:

Kirk is in the gym. He is so happy that he was dug up after Generations and given a wam-bam injection that restored him to life. He was also glad that Star Fleet offered to reinstate his commission and give him a ship. Oh, saId Kirk , I must sling shot round the sun and go back in time and admire myself in my youth. One sling shot later and Kirn is back on Earth when he was a young man (played by Brad Pitt who Shatner feels is the 'dead spit' of him when he was young) riding horses and saving the galaxy... blah blah blah ... KHAN! KHAN!!!!

All the other characters can just blend in around him like a side salad. beside a 7oz steak.

Everyone will have their own opinion. But mine is simple. I am glad Shatner is not in this film. It will be much better without him. He should stick to the small screen (Boston Legal) where he is more appropriately placed.