Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The New James T. Kirk: Chris Pine

We have received word that Chris Pine has been confirmed to play the role of James T. Kirk in the new "Star Trek” movie directed by J.J. Abrams.

As previously reported, Pine had been in talks for the coveted iconic role, but had a potential scheduling conflict. Today's confirmation ends speculation on whether the actor would choose "Star Trek” over another film he was offered called "White Jazz,” to be directed by Joe Carnahan and starring George Clooney. Carnahan's own blog dropped strong hints that Pine chose "Trek" over his film, but the details of his signing on to the Trek movie have not been finalized until now.

The 27-year-old Pine is one of Hollywood's hottest young actors right now, gaining prominent attention as Lindsay Lohan's love interest in "Just My Luck" and as a neo-Nazi assassin in Carnahan's "Smokin' Aces." His father, Robert Pine, has played a couple of roles in Star Trek ("Liria," "Tavin") and performed with Michael Dorn on CHiPs.

indeed! I liked that as well

I love that they are casting no names, that way people will only know him as Kirk when they watch the movie. They chose Christopher Reeve as Superman for the same reasons. One of the people considered for Superman was Robert Redford, but they knew that if he were chosen, people would say "look, it's Robert Redford" and not Superman.

The same thing applies here, since people aren't that familiar with these actors, there will be a less likely chance of, "hey, it's...."

I mean the majority, there are some famous names, but a lot of them are "who?" Which I like. Just like when Zachary Quinto was cast, a lot of people didn't know who that was. Some still don't. That is the way to go