Sign in to follow this  
Vic

'Star Trek' To Have $150 Million Plus Price Tag

Source tells Moviehole that Abrams has convinced Paramount to allow him largest budget of any Star Trek film.

By Michelle

October 12, 2007 - 9:46 PM

Star Trek, the upcoming film by J.J. Abrams, reportedly has a budget of over $150 million dollars.

"According to our contact, the film initially had a budget of $130 million but now J.J has been handed a few extra biccies," reported Moviehole, citing "reliable word from inside the cream buildings on Melrose."

The source stated that Abrams' budget has been raised to "the environs of $150-160 million" - which would be considerably larger than the budget for Star Trek Nemesis or previous films in the franchise.

"It’s a huge story they’re doing - and boy does it sound orgasmic, even for a Non-Trekkie like me," added writer Clint Morris. "It's a 'major gamble' for Paramount, says our insider."

The original item is here.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/121007_04.shtml

I truly believe that it will be worth every penny.

Not to mention how much it will gross worldwide.

It will more than pay for itself.

With that kind of money floating around the Trek universe, maybe JJ will be able to make a decent addition to Trek lore after all. I'm gonna keep praying, though.

just before you get too excited, remember all the money they threw at the motion picture...

:yes:

Exactly why I'll keep praying that all that money actually does some good.

That budget it so big it's almost scary! :hug: If the movie isn't good, the franchise is gonna be in biiiiig trouble.

Special effects cost money - so a big budget doesn't necessarily mean quality movie.

I personally am not too excited about this movie - it is being made by contemporary Hollywood with the contemporary Hollywood mindset for the typical Hollywood movie audience (ie young males with an eye for action and special effects). Those are not the qualities that made me a fan of the original Trek. Not that I don't like cool starships as much as the next person but I want a little something more.

For people who like contemporary Hollywood movies this may in deed be a great money maker - it may indeed be exactly the movie some of you are hoping for - but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a movie I want to see.

That budget it so big it's almost scary! :hug: If the movie isn't good, the franchise is gonna be in biiiiig trouble.

I feel the same way. Hopefully the movie is worth the cost and actually makes a profit at the box office.

is it because there is no johnny depp??? UH?

:hug:

JD is way too big a name for this movie - but it would have been nice to have at least one actor with some appeal.

Honestly, I meant just what I said - I have really lost faith in Hollywood. Most of what they churn out these days lacks plot, character development and storyline - everything is about show - flashy, glitzy but no depth. I also think they've lost touch with humor - instead they rely on crude and vulgar sensationalism and innuendo rather than genuine humor radiating from realistic characters.

Since they've been adamant they want to appeal to a different audience than long term Trek fans I can only imagine they'll use the same techniques they've used for other box office attractions.

Maybe they'll decide to make this an R rated movie - I don't like R rated movies. The way I see it - this movie is totally up in the air - who knows what they'll do.

I am not cetain about the upcoming movie. I like the work that Abrams has done in the past, but I am not sure how I will respond to the new movie. With the time frame that it is being set in I am not sure. Don't get me wrong, I love all things Trek, but TOS was never on the top of my list as it was the later encarnations that brought me in. I am also afraid that with the aim being to bring in non trek fans to watch the movie that they will take away some of the elements that make it appealing to me.