Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Paramount Finds New Scotty & Sulu

British comedian Simon Pegg to play Montgomery Scott; Korean-born John Cho signs on for Hikaru Sulu role.

By Christian

October 12, 2007 - 1:26 PM

The cast of the new Star Trek film expanded with two more actors today, as word came out Paramount has cast British comedian Simon Pegg in the role of Montgomery Scott, and Korean-born John Cho as Hikaru Sulu.

Just like original Scott actor James Doohan, Pegg is not from Scotland himself, but his background as a stand-up comedian will likely allow him to successfully pull of the accent. Pegg is 37, and is probably best-known for his roles in the comedies Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Last year, he worked with Star Trek director J.J. Abrams on Mission: Impossible III, in which he played a remarkably Scotty-like character: technician Benji Dunn.

John Cho is almost as old as Pegg, 35, but he's often played characters that are younger than his actual age. He's most famous for appearing as Harold Lee in Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle, for which he recently finished filming the sequel. Prior to that, Cho had the dubious distinction of being the one to popularise the slang term "MILF" with his first big role, in the teen comedy American Pie.

These two new casting announcements come at the end of the week that already saw Paramount find a main bad guy in Eric Bana (story) and a possible actor for the Captain Kirk role in Chris Pine (story). With these new additions, only the role of Dr. 'Bones' McCoy still needs to be filled.

For the original article at the Hollywood Reporter, please follow this link.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/121007_03.shtml

Hiring actors best known for comedies for these roles makes me a little nervous, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

Simon Pegg is one of my favourite actors so I am absolutely blown away by this casting.

This video pretty much some up my reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeqZpbuZlqI

Although Pegg is primarily known for comedies (the absolutely brilliant films Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) he does display a fairly impressive acting range in those movies (especially in SOTD).

I haven't seen Cho do anything dramatic but I've heard he has been in good in the dramas he has done.