Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Eric Bana Cast As Bad Guy Nero In New 'Trek' Film

Forget Russel Crowe, forget Karl Urban -- J.J. Abrams casts 'Hulk' and 'Troy' actor as his main villain.

By Christian

October 10, 2007 - 5:45 PM

Paramount Pictures today officially announced Eric Bana will be playing the role of bad guy "Nero" in the new Star Trek film.

Previous rumors had suggested director J.J. Abrams wanted to cast Russel Crowe or Karl Urban as the film's main villain, but by casting Bana his goal of casting a big-name actor for the role seems to have been fulfilled. Bana had starring roles in blockbusters such as Hulk, Troy and Munich, and will next year appear opposite Natalie Portman Scarlett Johansson in The Other Boleyn Girl.

Beyond the name of Nero for Bana's character, no other details on the film's main villain were revealed. In fact, the Hollywood Reporter noted today that shrouded in so much secrecy, that many of the film's roles were in fact offered to actors without even offering them a script to read. Abrams apparently worked the same way for his upcoming monster movie Cloverfield.

Eric Bana was born in Australia 39 years ago as Eric Banadinovich. After building his career on the Australian sketch comedy show Full Frontal and spending a decade making acclaimed Australian movies, Bana moved over to the US when director Ridley Scott cast him in Black Hawk Down. In this film, he appeared opposite Tom Hardy, who played Shinzon on Star Trek: Nemesis.

For the original report from Variety, please follow this link.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/101007_02.shtml

Ho hum.....

Since I remember about Troy is Brad Pitt and extreme boredom I'm guessing this guy doesn't light up the screen. On the recommendation of just about everyone I didn't see the Hulk.

Could be worse - could have been Tom Cruise.

ever since troy was made, there isn't a day someone teases me or says a quote from the movie....and it's bad enough you have the worse character from a marvel movie that was expected to be better than x-men; to be in a star trek movie as a villain. i can already see this movie being as bad as insurection.

:hug::hug::hug: AUSSIE ACTOR IN STAR TREK!!!

its actually the second aussie actor that i know of in a star trek movie, tell me if you can guess the other.

Eric bana is a great actor and a good choice!

The only thing I've seen Bana in is the Hulk movie, which was terrible. So I'm a bit nervous about this choice.

The only thing I've seen Bana in is the Hulk movie, which was terrible. So I'm a bit nervous about this choice.

Check him out in "Blackhawk Down" and "Munich". I think that Bana is an excellent choice.