Sign in to follow this  
athena28

Code of Honor

I just read this quote from DragonCon (Sept. '07). Frakes, Spiner and McFadden expressed pride for all 178 episodes of the show ... well, except for "Code of Honor," which Frakes said was "so racist." "Oh yeah, that was embarrassing," Spiner concurred.

What do you think or what did you think when you first saw it?

Edited by athena28

Well I think it's certainly not really one of TNG's finest episodes... :) It is kinda racist, yes...

i kinda didn't really see the complete context until spike kept showing the episode. it's really racist to even have black people degrade themselves like that.

I think that this episode was written 20 years ago...

indeed, the society was very different from now , the women had less rights and they were considered less than the men.

:)

but it is only a work of fantasy!

for example, I'm Italian, and I see that there are the Romulans, with an empire and a senate, which could represent a sort of a new Roman empire in the future...

also, I should say that they have a negative opinion of my ancistors....

:)

I didn't see the racism But I haven't watched it in a very long time. Guess I'll have to rewatch it when it comes on.

I don't see anything racist about the episode. I think its just Frakes, Spiner and McFadden being overly politically correct......... :)

indeed, the society was very different from now , the women had less rights and they were considered less than the men.

<_<

I don't think society was all that different in 1987 vs. 2007. It wasn't THAT long ago lol

Anyway, racist? I'd have to watch it again to see that connection. I've never made the connection in the past but I do believe it to be the worst episode of any of the entire series.

<_<

I don't think society was all that different in 1987 vs. 2007. It wasn't THAT long ago lol

Anyway, racist? I'd have to watch it again to see that connection. I've never made the connection in the past but I do believe it to be the worst episode of any of the entire series.

I say this because I'm Italian!

In 1987, for example, we had a few of black people, in 2007 we have a lot of them.

The culture has changed because the population has changed.

And also the points of views have changed....

In 1987 a black woman was considered here as an inopportune visitator, many of them finished on the streets in the nights,....

Today, a black woman isn't any more a whore, she has a black husband and her childs.

There are a real black families now, obviously they have manual jobs and they cannot study as the white people, but the situation is better than once, because they are precious for the industries.

Perhaps for the American people this seems very strange, but it is true....

Therefore I believe that there could be another worlds which are more primitive than the Earth.

When I first saw it on Spike, I definitely noticed the parallels to the old tribal African kingdoms, and maybe even a slight dig at Islamic societal structures. Watching it again just now, I don't think it was digging at Islam much. More like "how does humanity deal with an element out of its own past?" Honestly, I think it came off more as sexist than racist, and even then I didn't think it was that sexist.

I think it's just political correctness running rampant as it does in Hollyweird these days. If hey really felt so strongly about the episode they could have refused to be a part of it and been written out of the episode. Pure PC BS.

I was so busy expressing rage/disgust about Tasha's general r-tardedness during that episode that I must've completely missed the racial implications.

Sorry...I just REALLY hate Tasha.

I don't understand what has made Tasha wrong.

She was a warrior, perhaps somebody thinks that the beautiful women do not combat....

I don't see anything racist about the episode. I think its just Frakes, Spiner and McFadden being overly politically correct......... :look:

I concur. I think you have to pay close attention to the dialogue in order to see why it's not racist. There was no degradation. Yareena's husband was simply plotting her death so as to inherit all her stuff--we've seen that throughout human history in every culture. When Yareena's husband is exposed, she promptly puts him in his place and the audience realizes who really runs that planet: women. It's said over and over again in the ep that "women own the land" and that their hubbies "just protect it." And when a hubby F%@*s up, that hubby gets replaced at once---and in front of company, no less! I thought that episode to be highly pro-women, and that that would be what offended people...if they were to find anything offensive at all.

The ending was also most delightful, when Yareena restores order to her house and her new husband talks about how their culture prizes and excels in being civilized. So while we were all thinking "My God, what a backward race," we weren't paying close attention to the inner workings of their society.

I don't understand what has made Tasha wrong.

She was a warrior, perhaps somebody thinks that the beautiful women do not combat....

IMO, Tasha wasn't beautiful. :lol: She wasn't a warrior either. :lol: Deanna Troi was beautiful. Jadzia Dax was beautiful and a true warrior. :look:

Tasha Yar was the failed attempt at eye candy. It was 1987, as people keep pointing out, and even though 20 years later our society keeps trying to insist that skinny blondes are more beautiful that all other women, it was believed then more so than now. Deanna Troi, bless her, busted that theory within just a few eps, AND SHE DID IT WITH FREAKISHLY FRIZZED HAIR. And Gates McFadden represented on the behalf of redheads everywhere.

I was so busy expressing rage/disgust about Tasha's general r-tardedness during that episode that I must've completely missed the racial implications.

I couldn't agree more, I didn't like her character at all and that episode was just so bad that all I could see was how bad it was. Anything else about the episode was lost in the "badness" of it all.

I couldn't agree more, I didn't like her character at all and that episode was just so bad that all I could see was how bad it was. Anything else about the episode was lost in the "badness" of it all.

Thanks, Kevs! <3

...I can call you "Kevs", right? :batman:

Thanks, Kevs! <3

...I can call you "Kevs", right? :batman:

Sure, after all when I was a little kid (4 or 5 years old) my brothers and their friends used to call me Sklev. Don't ask me why though... lol

Sure, after all when I was a little kid (4 or 5 years old) my brothers and their friends used to call me Sklev. Don't ask me why though... lol

Kevs it is...though I'll try to make it more respectful and call you 'Ambassador Kevs'.

Kevs it is...though I'll try to make it more respectful and call you 'Ambassador Kevs'.

"President" might fit better.. ::Puffs chest out trying to look smug (but just looking silly):: After all I am President of the Federation... :batman:

"President" might fit better.. ::Puffs chest out trying to look smug (but just looking silly):: After all I am President of the Federation... :yahoo:

I'll stick with....."The Creator"......... :batman:

At "Mountain-CON: Episode III" a convention in Salt Lake City, Utah on September 21 - 23, 2007: I saw Garret Wang (Ensign Harry Kim, VOY) there and he was talking about when TNG first came on he decided to try to watch it and the first episode he caught was "Code of Honor". He didn't like it so he stopped watching the show. When re-runs came on he'd decide he'd try again, every-time he tried this it was "Code of Honor" airing. When he got picked for the role of Harry Kim, to learn about modern Star Trek they had him watch one episode per season of TNG. Season 1's tape of the stack of tapes they gave him was on top and he stuck it in the VCR. The episode title read "Code of Honor". He had told the makers of Voyager is story with TNG before. So he called the guy that gave him the tapes and he answered bursting with laughter.