Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Julian Bashir

After Julian Bashir came out about being genetically enhanced and admitting that he could do loads of stuff he had kept hidden he became a far better character in my book. It was funny how Miles O'Brien took the piss out of him for being super smart. He developed as a character and was less weak and pitiful. Watching re-runs, you look at him differently as if to say ' i know your secret'. Before you knew, he had little to distinguish him. Kira had the whole 'boo hoo Bajoran thing' goin on. Odo could turn himself into a cocoanut. Sisko was the big black boss man. Garak the Cardassian. Dax the, well you know the rest lol But Bashir was a bit crap to begin with. Just some sissy doctor... then he's like, Khan 2.

I agree that his character developed more after it was discovered he was genetically enhanced. Before he was just a wide-eyed, fresh out of med school, young doctor trying to make a name for himself. I got the impression that everybody was just 'putting up' with him and his gung-ho attitude until he either matured or failed miserably. After, everybody recognized that he had a lot of potential and treated him that way. It freed him to actually use that potential.

I know it wasn't planned until they actually came out and told everyone but the way the early Bashir was developing you could almost go back and guess his secret.

Like the episode where he plays Darts for the first time (I think it was his first time) He throws the dart and gets a bullseye on the first throw. There were other small things that were just random acts in random episodes but out together with the knowledge that we gain later it starts to look like pieces of a larger puzzle.

Hey VBG, I saw that episdoe the other night and thought to myself, "Bashir planned to get that Bullseye. I thought that was cool. So, ya it does seem like he always had those abilities even thought it wasn't planned.

For this charactes future not to be planned they did a hellofajob hith him. I can't say if he was better before or after the truth, one follows the other.

I think his character just developed into something that was better then the raw just out of med school doctor we saw in season 1. Though I alwaos liked his character.

I remembered hating Bashir the first season of DS9.After that I kind of ignored him,until I found out he was a genetic "superman",like Khan.After that point he became a far more interesting character,and before too much longer i actually started liking the doctor.I think making him a genetically enhanced human being was a good play by DS9's writers.It saved the character from,at best,mediocrity.

That's true they could have focused on other characters and ignored Bashir, I'm so glad they didn't though. The Combo of Bashir/O'Brien was great too, their adventures on the holodeck looked like a lot of fun. Also Bashir/Garak gave a lot fo good moments for the show and the Section 31 episodes were great also.

I agree with you guys.

At the beginning, youth and all make him enthousiastic and all.

But it's hard to always have to hide a potential you have... The truth freed him, and that was just great. That bring him a new confidance too. Like he was suddently passing from a young man to a man.

And Bashir and O'brien.. that's a classic in my book :-)

Im gay. Blah de blah. And I have a very straight friend. I mean, VERY!!! He hates gay people. And he is my best mate. So I found it funny whenever Julian Bashir 'came out' about being a genius. Because of O'Brien's questions and confusion. He stayed his mate (as my mate did with me) yet had all these questions... ha ha ha

Im gay. Blah de blah. And I have a very straight friend. I mean, VERY!!! He hates gay people. And he is my best mate. So I found it funny whenever Julian Bashir 'came out' about being a genius. Because of O'Brien's questions and confusion. He stayed his mate (as my mate did with me) yet had all these questions... ha ha ha

That's an interesting comparison that I hadn't thought of. In the 24th century being genetically altered does have that stigma attached to it and Miles does seem somewhat uncomfortable initially but he works through his bias by asking Julian questions.

That's an interesting comparison that I hadn't thought of. In the 24th century being genetically altered does have that stigma attached to it and Miles does seem somewhat uncomfortable initially but he works through his bias by asking Julian questions.

Right

And Miles is really competitive guys... Hard to friendly "compete" with your best pal in those circonstances....

The scene when he wants Julian to play with a blindfold to even the chances is just too funny :assimilated:

"Play, really play"

Well,I never much cared for the character of Julian Bashir.Though,I have to say that the character did benefit from the disclosure that he had been illegally genetically enhanced.That admission made me pay more attention to Bashir,and made me more interested,but overall I never really cared for Julian.I'm not sure why,exactly.

I always liked him but I liked him even more once his secret was revealed. His character matured a lot and became even more interesting in my opinion.

I myself have never had the pleasure of meeting the good doctor.I understand that he is quite a brilliant young man,particularly for a...please,take no offense,..but for a terran.I heard rumors that he had been illegally modified on a genetic level.Well,the pursuit of excellence in all of its forms is appreciated by my people.And Bashir has certainly put his enhanced abilities to the good use of all,rather than simply benefitting from it himself.I should enjoy meeting Dr.Bashir sometime.

Once his secret was revealed, I thought he became a better doctor and had more confidence within himself.

Simply a marvelous decision by those concerned to write this into the series and the bashir character's past.I was always a fan of the brilliant young doctor,who seemed (early on) to have a perpetual case of foot-in-mouth disease,and a knack for rubbing people the wrong way.But after this revelation was made,it made bashir a far more complex and interesting character.

Edited by Sirius

I liked Bashir from day one.But I'll agree that he became an even better character after we learned about his genetic enhancements.And I loved the little group of other genetic "super" men that would occasionally visit him.They were so funny.

I liked Bashir from the beginning and I always enjoyed watching him grow as a physician as he gained experience and confidence, but I agree that he really began to shine after his "little secret" was revealed.

I loved the way they would tease Julian from time to time about his holosuite adventures, like in It's Only A Paper Moon when they are all sitting around the table talking about Nog living at Vics and they are each taking turns saying things like "At least it isn't as bad as Julian's Viking program!" or "At least it isn't the Alaimo" and each time someone says something Julian just says "Hey!" Classic scene!

Here's the exact scene:

http://www.startrekfans.net/pics/DS9/bashir.wvx

Also if anyone hasn't seen the Bashir Video I made a few months ago:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=4840

OMG, that's a great scene. I watched it twice and re-watched the Bashir video. Scenes like that are part of the reason why Julian Bashir is my favorite DS9 character.

OMG, that's a great scene.  I watched it twice and re-watched the Bashir video.  Scenes like that are part of the reason why Julian Bashir is my favorite DS9 character.

I loved that scene too, it's one of my favorite scenes. Julian was just cool, he's got to be one of my favorites too if not the favorite.

I missed a lot of DS9 when it was originally aired. I'm making my way through the DVD's now and I think it's definatly the best sereies out there. Still I somehoe missed the episode in which they talk about him being enhanced. Which season did it air in? I definalty thought that our good Doctor did grow up a lot through out the show.

I missed a lot of DS9 when it was originally aired. I'm making my way through the DVD's now and I think it's definatly the best sereies out there.  Still I somehoe missed the episode in which they talk about him being enhanced. Which season did it air in?  I definalty thought that our good Doctor did grow up a lot through out the show.

Season 5's "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"

when did the writers decide to give Bashir the enhancements? Is there any evidence (apart from the already mentioned bullseye in the darts game) of his "super powers" before this episode?

when did the writers decide to give Bashir the enhancements? Is there any evidence (apart from the already mentioned bullseye in the darts game) of his "super powers" before this episode?

I don't know that there are any specific points, but alot of his character makes sense with the enhancements.

No, I was watching some of the "Extra's" DVDs and it was more of a spur of the moment kind of thing. It wasn't planned at all but it did make things fall into place for his character.