Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Karl Urban Latest Name To Surface in Trek Casting

'Lord of the Rings' star worked with screenwriters Kurtzman and Orci in 'Xena', could be villain or crewmember.

By Michelle

September 29, 2007 - 4:43 PM

The latest name to surface in the Star Trek casting rumour mill is very familiar to genre fans. It's Karl Urban, who played Caesar in Xena and Eomer in The Lord of the Rings, who may be under consideration to play a villain or a major character depending on which story on reads.

The IESB kicked off the reporting yesterday with a story that Urban would be playing "the Big Bad Romulan" in J.J. Abrams' eleventh Star Trek feature film. The IESB also reported that the movie's storyline concerns Romulans interfering with Earth's timeline...a description that sounds a lot like Pocket Books' Killing Time by Della Van Hise.

Screenwriter Roberto Orci, who worked with Urban on Xena and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, refused to comment about what role the actor might be under consideration to play, but told TreKMovie.com:

We worked with Urban back in the day...he always came through for us, and he is such a decent guy. None of what I just said, however, should be taken as a sign that any decisions have been made. Our only point is that, whatever happens, we’ve always loved Karl, and we all got our start in the same place.

A "source close to the production" told TrekMovie.com that Urban was indeed under consideration for a role, but neither the villain nor Kirk. At 35, Urban might be a more appropriate age to play McCoy, Scotty or a Starfleet senior officer than young Kirk.

Urban has a film, Run, to which he is attached, but director John McTiernan's legal problems are likely to cause delays in production. In addition to several highly regarded New Zealand films, Urban appeared in The Bourne Supremacy and Ghost Ship.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/290907_01.shtml

I really hope this plot is not correct. Not another time altering story! Plus, we just saw the Romulans in Nemesis. I hope they do something different.

I like Karl Urban, it'd be good to see him in the movie. I have a feeling that that will be the plot because that plot was brought up a few months ago and it looks like it hasn't changed.

Last time, I read that the movie was going to be about the 24th Century Romulans wanting to destroy Starfleet. So what better way than going back in time and stopping the greatest hero of Starfleet's history, James T. Kirk? Spock over hears what they are plotting and goes back in time as well to warn young Spock and Kirk of the asassination attempt.

That is what I read it was going to be about a month or two ago, and they are still saying time travel as a rumor, so it is very possible that this could be the plot

Hmmm, wasn't there a movie about some species (Borg I think) "destroying" Starfleet by going back in time?

Hmm, wasn't there a tv series that devoted almost an entire season to a story that involved destroying Earth by going back in time?

Hmmm, will Daniels be back?

I like time travel stories, and if done well, they can be riveting and entertaining. If the cast rumors are true, they have a strong cast to work with, and talented actors can often work magic with a good script. I want to be optimistic, because I fear another stinker could mean curtains for more movies soon.

Killingtime.jpg
A Romulan time-tampering project leaves the Enterprise (and the rest of the galaxy) in an alternate dimension, where Kirk is an embittered young ensign and Spock is a besieged starship commander. Together they race to escape the plotting Romulans and return to their original timeline, before the unforeseen effects of the Romulan project destroy the galaxy.