Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Casting Rumours For Kirk, Scotty, & Formerly Spock

Poseidon's Vogel, Atlantis' McGillion said to be front-runners to play young captain and engineer; Brody confesses to meeting with Abrams. And Takei says don't count him out.

By Michelle

September 27, 2007 - 6:44 PM

Could a Poseidon star and a Stargate Atlantis actor be the front-runners to play Kirk and Scotty in the upcoming Star Trek film?

The IESB is claiming that Mike Vogel is director J.J. Abrams' top choice to play James T. Kirk, taking over the role made famous by William Shatner. "We have been able to talk with two other studio insiders who have also confirmed that he is indeed the fore runner for the coveted role," the site stated after trying unsuccessfully to get a comment from Paramount or Vogel's agent. In addition to Poseidon, the actor appeared in the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Meanwhile, TrekMovie.com reports that Paul McGillion - a popular actor from Stargate Atlantis whose fans lobbied to return his character to that science fiction franchise after being written out during the past season - has auditioned to play Scotty, joining a list of hopefuls already said to include Martin Compston, Greg Hemphill and James McAvoy. "Obviously it would be a great honour to follow in James Doohan's footsteps," said the Scottish-born actor, who currently lives in Doohan's home country, Canada.

And although the role of young Spock has been cast with Zachary Quinto taking over from Leonard Nimoy, Adrien Brody is now revealing that he did speak to Abrams about the role. MTV Movies Blog quoted Brody as saying, "I did talk to J.J. ...that would have been cool. I told my parents. They got a kick out of it. 'I may be Spock!' Oh, well." He joked that he should have tried the Vulcan salute to convince Abrams to give him the role.

Meanwhile, original Sulu George Takei hinted not only that his character may return on Heroes following a season premiere shocker, but suggested as well that he might turn up in the Star Trek film. "I wouldn't be too surprised if I am," he said to Entertainment Weekly. As for his other gig, "Nothing is what it seems on the surface of Heroes...chortle."

http://www.trektoday.com/news/270907_02.shtml

Having Paul McGillion as Scotty would be a really good choice, IMHO. Of all the ones mentioned for the role so far, I think he would make James Doohan the proudest. Maybe Gene too.

McGillion as Scotty would be too perfect. I had thought of him but didn't expect the Trek folks to consider and Atlantis actor.

One of my favorite scenes from Atlantis was when Dr. Beckett (Played by McGillion) was complaining about gate travel (apparently you're deconstructed at the molecular lever) and (paraphrasing"

Major Sheppard: "alright Dr. McCoy"

Teyla: who's Dr. McCoy

Rodney: a tv character that Carson plays in real life.

I agree that McGillion would be a great choice as Scotty

I saw pics of Mike Vogel on Google, he'd be an interesting choice to play as Kirk, he looks young enough

Edited by Gamera