Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Woman Applies To Change Surname To Bin Laden

Woman applies to change surname to bin Laden

AP

Posted: 2007-08-31 12:54:48

SEYMOUR, Wis. (AP) - Caren Ann Burke might be in for a bigger headache at airport security lines if a judge grants her request to change her surname to bin Laden.

Burke, 49, filed a petition Aug. 23 to change her name at Caren Ann bin Laden. She listed the reason as "divorce from Rory S. Burke."

When reached at her home Friday by The Associated Press, she said twice, "My number is unpublished and unlisted," and hung up.

She also declined to explain to The Post-Crescent of Appleton.

"I don't have to explain that to a reporter. It is really none of your business," she told the newspaper Thursday. "At this point, it is a private matter."

Burke, who listed her occupation as unemployed, paid a $155 filing fee for the petition and took out the required legal notice in The Post-Crescent. A hearing on the petition is scheduled in Outagamie County Circuit Court on Oct. 12.

Burke was divorced from Rory S. Burke in 2005, court records show. In that case, Caren Burke petitioned the court about two weeks later to keep her married name and a judge granted the request.

According to state statutes, name-change requests are fairly simple and are typically granted unless they are sought for a "fraudulent purpose," such as to hide a criminal history or to escape from creditors.

:laugh::elephant::elephant: .....anybody else hear the chime of that cuckoo clock?............

Definitely a weird thing to do. In case anyone is wondering, no bin Laden wasn't her maiden name. I did a search in a Wisconsin Marriages database at Ancestry.com and her maiden name was Pankratz.

If I ever pulled someone over and looked at a Driver's License that had the name "bin Laden" on it, that person would be in cuffs quicker than they knew what happened.

Seriously? Of all the names to choose from, she picks that one? Jeez....

You got me on why she choose that one name out of all that she could have picked.

It's just plain stupidity. :laugh: