Sign in to follow this  
Lollypop

Another Worm Alert

W32/Sobig.f@MM

A new variant of W32/Sobig, W32/Sobig.f@MM is a High Risk mass-mailing worm. It arrives as an email attachment with a .pif or .scr extension. When run, it infects the host computer, then emails itself (using its own SMTP engine) to harvested email addresses from the victim's machine.

In addition, when it propagates, the worm "spoofs" the "from: field", using one of the harvested email addresses. So exercise care when opening emails with attachments. An infected email can come from addresses you recognize.

Because it sends so many emails, a worm like Sobig also saps bandwidth and slows network performance. Worse, it can also open up a user's computer port, making it vulnerable to hackers, who can plant dangerous Trojans. These malicious programs often let unauthorized users remotely take over a system, steal personal information or use the infected PC to send spam.

It's just been on the news

Lots of information about this virus here

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...sobig.f@mm.html

I rarely open e-mail from unknown senders for that very reason and never run attatchments unless I know the person.

Just be sure to run your antivirus often and you should be ok.

I rarely open e-mail from unknown senders for that very reason and never run attatchments unless I know the person.

But it says " Don't open emails from friends if they have attachments " :lol:

I Never Open Anything With No Suject Heading.

One Time. I Got Something From An Unknown Sender And It Had No Subject Heading.

That Sucker Went To The Trash Bin, ,lol

Thanks for the heads-up.I get very few e-mails from my friends,and they never add attachments,so if any do pop up I'll immediately trash the suckers.I swear,don't these !@#$% have anything better to do than sit around and think up newer and better ways to destroy or damage other people's property?No,I guess not.They're all probably 40-years old geeks still living at home with momma,sitting in front of the computer 24/7. :spock:

VBG, the SoBig virus sends e-mails to everyone in the address book of an infected system, so if somebody you know was infected, it would e-mail you from your friend's computer, making it appear that the attachment WAS sent by somebody you know. My solution? If you get an e-mail that APPEARS to be from somebody you know, and it has an attachment, give the "sender" a call and find out if he or she actually sent it. Running anti-virus software is a good idea, but the anti-virus databases can only be updated after the virus is released.

I am very familiar with this SoBig virus. Part of my job is Tier 1 High Speed Data support, and this virus has slowed our network way down. I'm getting tons of calls from people complaining that their speed has slowed to that of dial-up connections. I can only tell them to be patient, we're working furiously to get it back up and running the way it should be!

Thanks for the heads-up.I get very few e-mails from my friends,and they never add attachments,so if any do pop up I'll immediately trash the suckers.I swear,don't these !@#$% have anything better to do than sit around and think up newer and better ways to destroy or damage other people's property?No,I guess not.They're all probably 40-years old geeks still living at home with momma,sitting in front of the computer 24/7. :spock:

Sadly enought most of these virus' are created by current or former techinical support personel that have become disgruntled and they are looking for a way to get back at the industry for a perceived wrong and this is how they misguidedly believe that they can best do so.