Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athena28

Official Star Trek Convention 2008 - Las Vegas, NV

I've just bought a Gold Package ticket for 2008, but it's my first con (I'm such a newbie :blush 2: ). Can anyone fill me in on what con's are like? I have a general idea, but I'd like to hear about them from some fans. :)

Wow, gold ticket...good for you!

You'll have a ball.

I didn't spend too much (no autographs, no pics) but bought a t-shirt or sweatshirt the 2 years I've gone so far.

Lots of fun people, Quarks to hang out in, decent food (kind of pricey but that's expected), long days (con starts at 10 and goes till 6). But great guests and next year (as it's 5 days) they promise to have the guests on longer than about 40min. each.

I think you'll find it fun and interesting. :)

Trekz, where are your London pics?

Krang, in answer to your question, and to echo Athena, you will have a great time. My first big con was the 25th anniversary one in LA and it was a blast. My other two big ones have been the 2006 and 2007 Las Vegas Cons. Expect great guests, good talks, a good costume contest, some fun entertainment and good food as a Gold package member and about 12 autographs included with your Gold package. Also expect some long lines, & a nice dealer's room, with pricey merchandise, and a number of auctions of merchandise and collectibles. There is alternative programming that can be very interesting in another ballroom.

Athena, I just took my pictures in for both Vegas and London - will see what I got soon - don't expect much, because we were experimenting with digital camera, and our other camera is not that great.

P.S. Krang, or whoever else is interested:

For a little idea of what some of the Con talks are like, take a look at the recent London Film and Comic Con thread, under the Conventions forum, where I made a couple reports on the Star Trek and the Star Wars talks there.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It all sounds pretty exciting, if expensive :) . Maybe I should get some con practice in before going, to learn how to pace myself!

One more thing: what's the deal with the Dessert party, and how do the breakfasts work? Do the stars come round to your table and talk to you? :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. It all sounds pretty exciting, if expensive :) . Maybe I should get some con practice in before going, to learn how to pace myself!

One more thing: what's the deal with the Dessert party, and how do the breakfasts work? Do the stars come round to your table and talk to you? :)

I'm not sure about the Dessert party, but last year I went to the Klingon Feast the first night of the Shore Leave con here in Baltimore. That was a lot of fun. You had a nice dinner with regular food that was made to look exotic. Normally, one or more of the con guests attend and just mingle among you. Tony Todd and Spice Williams were at the one I went to. They raffled off some stuff, did some Klingon kareoke and mainly just drank a lot and mingled with all the guests. Everyone had a great time. I'm sure the Dessert party is similar. Of course, to attend these costs extra.

Pacing can help :angry: In 2006 I did go to the DS9 breakfast at the Vegas con, with guests: Aaron Eisenberg (Nog), Marc Alimo (Gul Dukat), (the actor that was also in Falconcrest ?) and Jeffery Coombs (Weyoun and Brunt). It was very fun. Food was good, our table had some interesting people, and there was silent auction for charity that I actually wasn't outbid on! Each guest came by each table and talked for a bit and was available for questions - my favorite was Marc Alimo, but they were all interesting. You do have to pay extra to attend breakfasts and luncheons, and the breakfasts do make the day longer, speaking of pacing, - but if you really want to see a favorite up close - I'd recommend it. At Creation Cons, stars don't hang out as much as they may do at the fan-run cons.

With your Gold Weekend package, you will get a number of events for free - so that's good. The Dessert Party is fun - good food, and some celebrity performances, but performances are scripted and then the stars are gone.

You will indeed have a fun time - just remember to bring money!

Thanks trekz - sounds great! I will have to do some serious saving up, but it will be worth it.

The only thing I am a little apprehensive about is the fact that (I think) I'll be going alone. I've been into Trek for so long but have only just started to get 'involved' in any way, so I don't really know anyone else who's a fan, or fan enough to want to go. I'll be trying to hook up with Trek fans in London, but if I'm still in Vegas on my own, do you think I'll have any trouble meeting friendly faces?

Thanks trekz - sounds great! I will have to do some serious saving up, but it will be worth it.

The only thing I am a little apprehensive about is the fact that (I think) I'll be going alone. I've been into Trek for so long but have only just started to get 'involved' in any way, so I don't really know anyone else who's a fan, or fan enough to want to go. I'll be trying to hook up with Trek fans in London, but if I'm still in Vegas on my own, do you think I'll have any trouble meeting friendly faces?

I've found that Star Trek fans are the friendliest bunch of people that I have ever met. I'm sure you won't have any trouble meeting some cool people to hang out with..The first year that I went to the Vegas Con (2005) I went alone.. I didn't meet up with anyone from STF or any of the other sites that I frequent and I had a fantastic time..You will too..As for me, I'm still not sure if I am going again next year..I want to of course..

I've found that Star Trek fans are the friendliest bunch of people that I have ever met. I'm sure you won't have any trouble meeting some cool people to hang out with..The first year that I went to the Vegas Con (2005) I went alone.. I didn't meet up with anyone from STF or any of the other sites that I frequent and I had a fantastic time..You will too..As for me, I'm still not sure if I am going again next year..I want to of course..

I agree with SpaceTigger. Star Trek fans are friendly folks. I'm sure you'll find some cool people to hang out with, especially if you go to any special event, and with everything going on, you'll have an excellent time. On the other hand, being by yourself at times means you can do exactly what you want, when you want to, without working out details, etc.... I suspect there will be someone from this site going, and if you post on the convention thread, you may be able to make plans to meet there.

One more thought. You might want to contemplate what you want signed if you get autographs (and you will have some autographs included in your Gold package). You might want to bring something. They have pictures for sale - color ones are around $6 - black and white cheaper. You might want to get a series (DS9, TNG, etc) photo and collect as many autographs on a picture as possible, then take it to subsequent conventions and get it completely signed if possible. Or you can do the single person picture route, or a couple of people in a picture route, etc...

One more thought. You might want to contemplate what you want signed if you get autographs (and you will have some autographs included in your Gold package). You might want to bring something. They have pictures for sale - color ones are around $6 - black and white cheaper. You might want to get a series (DS9, TNG, etc) photo and collect as many autographs on a picture as possible, then take it to subsequent conventions and get it completely signed if possible. Or you can do the single person picture route, or a couple of people in a picture route, etc...

That's a really good idea, and something I hadn't thought of - thanks again :) I just hope I can stay patient for the next 11 months!

I'm going to Vegas 2008. :look: Row C seat 36. This is my first convention in Vegas and I'm very happy.

I booked a room in the Hilton from 5th - 12th August and look forward for a roommate (it's ok if you want to stay til Monday only). :lol:

Guests listed at the Creation website so far are:

1. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura, TOS)
  2. Michael Dorn (Worf, TNG, DS9)
  3. Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko, DS9)
  4. Rene Auberjonois (Odo, DS9)
  5. Armin Shimerman (Quark, DS9)
  6. Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys, DS9)
  7. Garrett Wang (Harry Kim, VOY)
  8. Ethan Phillips (Neelix, VOY)
  9. Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker, ENT)
  10. Robin Curtis (Saavik, STIII:TSFS, STIV:TVH and asTallera in TNG episodes Gambit, Part I and II)
  11. John deLancie (Q, TNG, DS9 and VOY)
  12. Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn, TNG)
  13. Michael Forest (Apollo in TOS episode Who Mourns for Adonais)
  14. JG Hertzler (Martok, DS9)

As more guests are posted, I will probably feel twingles of regret at not attending this con, after attending it the last two years. So far, I have seen the majority of these guests with the exception of Michael Forest -(Apollo in TOS episode Who Mourns for Adonais) and JG Hertzler (Martok, DS9). I wouldn't mind seeing some of them again. But hopefully with the time and the money we'll "save" from not attending this con - with more expense for the extra day :yahoo: , we'll take a big vacation somewhere else. But I will follow the events from afar, and hopefully we'll have a con report of two from members here who attend. :dude:

More guests have been added including Malcolm McDowell (Dr. Tolian Soran, ST: Generations), Dominic Keeting (Malcolm Reed, ENT), Tim Russ (Tuvok, VOY), Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar and Sela, TNG) and Barbara March (Luras, TNG, DS9 and ST: Generations).

So here is the complete guests list to date:

2. Michael Dorn (Worf, TNG, DS9)
  3. Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko, DS9)
  4. Rene Auberjonois (Odo, DS9)
  5. Armin Shimerman (Quark, DS9)
  6. Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys, DS9)
  7. Garrett Wang (Harry Kim, VOY)
  8. Ethan Phillips (Neelix, VOY)
  9. Tim Russ (Tuvok, VOY)
  10. Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker, ENT)
  11. Dominic Keeting (Malcolm Reed, ENT)
  12. Robin Curtis (Saavik, STIII:TSFS, STIV:TVH and asTallera in TNG episodes Gambit, Part I and II)
  13. John deLancie (Q, TNG, DS9 and VOY)
  14. Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar and Sela, TNG)
  15. Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn, TNG)
  16. Malcolm McDowell (Dr. Tolian Soran, ST: Generations)
  17. Barbara March (Luras, TNG, DS9 and ST: Generations)
  18. JG Hertzler (Martok, DS9)
  19. Michael Forest (Apollo in TOS episode Who Mourns for Adonais)

I really wish I could plan that far in advance because I'd like to go but I know I won't be able to when the time comes.

I'd still really like to have a sort of STF convention at an official convention some time.

I really wish I could plan that far in advance because I'd like to go but I know I won't be able to when the time comes.

I'd still really like to have a sort of STF convention at an official convention some time.

Well, there will be at least four STF members going to Shore Leave this year, maybe more. Its not that far a drive for you either VGB!

Looks like I AM going to the Vegas convention again this year..Much more cheapily though..I won't be there for the full 5 days and I'm not staying at the Hilton this year..Too expensive..Already booked a room at the Sahara for 3 days and am waiting for Creation to announce their cheaper convention tickets..

More guests have been added including Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi, TNG), Robert Picardo (the Doctor, VOY), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris, VOY), Jolene Blalock (T'Pol, ENT), Susan Gibney (Leah Brahms, TNG) and Louise Fletcher (Kai Winn, DS9).

So here is the complete guests list to date:

2. Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi, TNG)
  3. Michael Dorn (Worf, TNG, DS9)
  4. Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko, DS9)
  5. Rene Auberjonois (Odo, DS9)
  6. Armin Shimerman (Quark, DS9)
  7. Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys, DS9)
  8. Robert Picardo (the Doctor, VOY)
  9. Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris, VOY)
  10. Garrett Wang (Harry Kim, VOY)
  11. Ethan Phillips (Neelix, VOY)
  12. Tim Russ (Tuvok, VOY)
  13. Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker, ENT)
  14. Dominic Keeting (Malcolm Reed, ENT)
  15. Jolene Blalock (T'Pol, ENT)
  16. Robin Curtis (Saavik, STIII:TSFS, STIV:TVH and asTallera in TNG episodes Gambit, Part I and II)
  17. John deLancie (Q, TNG, DS9 and VOY)
  18. Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar and Sela, TNG)
  19. Carel Struycken (Mr. Homn, TNG)
  20. Malcolm McDowell (Dr. Tolian Soran, ST: Generations)
  21. Barbara March (Luras, TNG, DS9 and ST: Generations)
  22. JG Hertzler (Martok, DS9)
  23. Susan Gibney (Leah Brahms, TNG)
  24. Louise Fletcher (Kai Winn, DS9)
  25. Michael Forest (Apollo in TOS episode Who Mourns for Adonais)

Hi!

Unfortunately I must sell my ticket for the Star Trek Con in Las Vegas. :/ It's a...

GOLD WEEKEND PACKAGE

With FIVE enormous days and nights of fun, we're out to deliver the greatest Star Trek event of all time! The absolute best upscale way to attend all five wonderful days is with the famous GOLD WEEKEND PACKAGE! Close the door on the outside world and join the family fun of the sensational "reunion" of Star Trek fans and celebrities from around the globe.

Here’s what you get with your 2008 GOLD WEEKEND PACKAGES...

1. The very best reserved seatings for daytime convention Main Auditorium Events ALL FIVE DAYS!

2. ADMISSION to THURSDAY NIGHT PARTY, tentatively held at STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE.

3. Complimentary in person autographs from at least 12 of the attending celebrities (though we always try to do better than that) including MICHAEL DORN, JOHN deLANCIE, ETHAN PHILLIPS, GARRETT WANG, RENE AUBERJONOIS, CONNOR TRINNEER, LOUISE FLETCHER, JG HERTZLER, CAREL STRUYCKEN, DENISE CROSBY, TIM RUSS and more to be announced. This list is tentative and subject to changes. The value of this part of the Gold Weekend Package will be approximately $300, so you know you are getting a great deal!

4. You keep your same seats for our SATURDAY NIGHT Gala Celebration which always is a night of amazing entertainment and enjoyment.

5. ADMISSION to our super-fun SATURDAY NIGHT DESSERT PARTY with celebrity entertainments. Last year we had an amazing time with a giant line-up of Star Trek talents really letting loose. Tentatively scheduled to drop-by: Marina Sirtis and more.

6. Special limited edition collectors item, tentatively a GOLD STAR TREK COIN: the 7th in the rare series, ALWAYS very cool!

7. Your own “Creation Trek-Treat Card” filled with free gifts and bonus offers!

8. First for autographs done row by row.

9. Pre-Registration fun the night before the convention.

10. Specially color coded wristbands to allow immediate entrance without waiting after initial registration, including our collector laminated credential Gold Weekend badges.

11. Special GOLD MEMBERS only pricing on cool merchandise like 2007's STAR TREK collector plates.

This ticket is SOLD OUT! The seat is C60!

Contact via PN or email: m.macanzie@gmx.net

I would pay with paypal (I am from Germany and this is the best way).

Price: $689

Sarek

^

That's an expensive ticket Sarek..You may have a hard time selling it..I usually do the 'Captain's Chair' ticket..But I'm waiting for even cheaper tickets to go on sale because I'll only be there for 3 days this year..

I wouldn't mind going this year but I know there's too much going on here this summer to be able to do that. Next summer though, that's for sure and I'm looking forward to an STF get together at Quarks.

I'm new to the Trek convention scene. Attended the one in Vegas in 2006 and it was great.

What has been everyone's experience with "late arrival" guests? How far in advance do most guests sign on? I'd really like to see some more of the original series actors, i.e., Shatner, Nimoy, etc. Since they're not currently on the list, should I assume they won't be there?

Thanks!