Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Russell Crowe the New Trek Villain?

IGN was told earlier this week that Paramount Pictures is trying to woo none other than Oscar winner and Gladiator star Russell Crowe to play the villain in J.J. Abrams upcoming Star Trek movie. But the IGN source seriously doubted that Paramount and producer/director Abrams could land the busy star, because he has the movies Body of Lies and Nottingham on his schedule in the coming months.

Still, the search for a strong actor and commanding presence such as Crowe suggests that the villain in the Star Trek script could a leader or even a starship commander -- a role that Crowe is utterly believable in, just watch Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. IGN gave no word if the villain is human, Klingon, Romulan, or some other alien species remains uncertain.

The Hollywood Reporter also reported that Paramount are looking at A-lister actors for the role of the villain and the starship captain (probably Pike ?).(story)

This information is preliminary, of course, and entirely rumor.

Crowe is another actor who's ego is bigger than his acting skills. I think Christopher Walken would be good and why does the villain have to male there are some great female actresses out there that would make a good Trek villain :yahoo:

i probably want alan rickman as a trek villian. if he can pull off good acting in harry potter, you know he can pull it off in a trek movie.

I like Crowe - that would be a real plus to me. I doubt they'll get him though. They can get some big name though if they fork over enough $$$.

I am afraid I am at the point in my life where I don't care about seeing movies where all the stars are barely past puberty (as it seems this cast is going to be)

I think one big name in the movie would be good because they are going with so many unknowns for the rest of the cast. It would also boost the movie's appeal to non trekkies - because right now I don't see anything that would appeal to anyone other than a die hard fan.

They could always get Johnny Depp for the villain - then everybody would go see it. :yahoo:

please do not let crowe become a trek villian. the guy is a duche bag!!! he's an aussie (of sorts) but we will trade him!!!

Btw johnny depp would make a good pike!!!

I am afraid I am at the point in my life where I don't care about seeing movies where all the stars are barely past puberty (as it seems this cast is going to be)

I don't think they're skewing that young with anyone aside from Chekov (allegedly they are looking at an 18-year-old named Anton Yelchin), who was already fairly young to begin with. The youngest age on the leaked casting sheet (which may or may not be accurate) is 23 for Kirk (at the low end of the age scale provided) but whoever they cast may need to be able to play Kirk over a range of ages. The remainder of the cast is targeted to ages 25 to 32, which makes sense considering that the only confirmed cast member (aside from Leonard Nimoy) Zachary Quinto (as younger Spock) is 30 years old.

As for Russell Crowe, it probably won't happen but it is intriguing. I haven't seen much of his stuff but I have no objections to him being in the movie. But I really hope the rumours about Tom Cruise go away very quickly. But even if they don't, I'll still see it.

I really do not see Tom Cruise since he had the falling out with Paramount.

I really do not see Tom Cruise since he had the falling out with Paramount.

I'm not sure but there may have been a regime change since Cruise's falling out. I do know that J.J. Abrams and Cruise became friends during the production of Mission Impossible 3.

However, the rumours were officially disproven by trekmovie.com, but this is the second time they've cropped up (of course, last time it was that Cruise would be playing Spock in an upcoming Star Wars movie).

I think that russel crowe would be an excellent Romulan officer, because he was a fascinating Gladiator!

Don't think you the same?

My list of actors to play potential villians in the next Trek Movie consists of:

Alan Rickman, Russell Crowe, Vin Diesel (and I'm being serious).

There are a few others that escape me at this moment.

My list of actors to play potential villians in the next Trek Movie consists of:

I could see Alan Rickman as a Trek villan. Vin Diesel is too big a name.

I could see Alan Rickman as a Trek villan. Vin Diesel is too big a name.

Have you seen some of the stinkers that he's made lately? :yahoo:

I think the point of a "big name" is to get someone who will attract audiences. Hence you need a name with an audience appeal. There are several actors which could play a good "bad guy" but if they want a name with audience appeal - that's a different category.

And by the same logic - they shouldn't give Cruise a role because he has anti-audience appeal.

I think the point of a "big name" is to get someone who will attract audiences. Hence you need a name with an audience appeal. There are several actors which could play a good "bad guy" but if they want a name with audience appeal - that's a different category.

And by the same logic - they shouldn't give Cruise a role because he has anti-audience appeal.

I agree. Cruise shouldn't even be allowed to SEE this movie, let alone be in it.

I doubt they'd be able to get him to do it, but Russell Crowe would be good in a villain role, if it was well written. "Romper Stomper" shows clearly how menacing he can be.

Lately Russell Crowe's movies has not done well. As the saying goes the actor is only worth as his last movie. He might do it knowing that it will help his career. You never know he might be a trakkie!!! :yahoo:

Maybe they should get a female villian - like Reese Witherspoon or Uma Thurman. You don't need to bea big burly guy - villians of the future just need to be smart, evil and have lots of technology.

if the villain should be the opposite of kirk, also he should be russel crowe! he should be the best in this role!

and definitely not tom cruise, I love him and I don't suffer the idea that tom should be killed by the new kirk in the movie!!!!!!