Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Tom Cruise To Cameo As Captain Pike In Trek XI?

IGN sources say J.J. Abrams might want his 'Mission: Impossible' pal to play a small role in the new film. Plus: Big star considered for villain role?

By Christian

August 7, 2007 - 6:54 PM

A new rumor appeared online today claiming that Star Trek XI director J.J. Abrams is hoping to cast Tom Cruise as Captain Christopher Pike.

Similar rumors also appeared on the internet last Fall, when Cruise was mentioned for one of the film's main roles. A Cruise spokesman then denied the rumors, which already seemed unlikely due to the public feud between Cruise and Viacom chief Sumner Redstone. However, these new rumors only claim Abrams is looking at Cruise for a cameo role, which might be a favor the star would be willing to grant to his Mission: Impossible III director.

Christopher Pike was captain of the Enterprise in the unaired pilot for the original Star Trek series, "The Cage." Footage from that pilot, in which Pike was played by Jeffrey Hunter, was later used in the two-part episode "The Menagerie." In established Star Trek lore, Spock already served aboard the Enterprise under Captain Pike before Kirk took command of the ship, so there seem to be numerous ways in which Pike could be included in the story for the new film.

IGN stressed that at this point there only seems to be a proposal from Abrams, and that there's no indication as to whether Cruise will actually accept the role.

In addition to their Cruise rumor, IGN noted that Paramount is trying to land an "A-lister" to play the film's main villain, but the site didn't reveal the name of this actor.

For the original report from IGN, please follow this link.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/070807_01.shtml

I could see Cruise in a Pike Cameo. It really wouldn't matter to me. I'd still see it regardless.

now that cruise is going to be in this movie, now i know im as sure as hell am not going to see this movie...the last thing trek needs a psycho, christan bale look a like, scienctalogest (however you spell it) family conceling, contract binding, manic. i'd go on, but i fear that the US Goverment will hunt me down to no extent.

now that cruise is going to be in this movie, now i know im as sure as hell am not going to see this movie...the last thing trek needs a psycho, christan bale look a like, scienctalogest (however you spell it) family conceling, contract binding, manic. i'd go on, but i fear that the US Goverment will hunt me down to no extent.

I'm pretty certain they won't give Mr. Cruise a chance in the movie where he preaches the word of Hubbard.

And don't be absurd. Of course you'll see the movie. You'll see it multiple times in the cinema then buy the DVD.

Well, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I won't actually see it in the theaters, simply because I don't go to the movies that often. If I do, it'll be once. Due to the outrageous pricing on most Trek DVDs, scratch that off the list too. If I don't see it in the theaters, though, I will, however, rent the DVD to see it.

And yeah, it's just a cameo. Cruise won't be able to do a lot of "damage" with it.

Seems to me his presence alone will do damage, people saying they won't see it because he's in it is damage being done.

Personally I'd rather he not be in it, (not because of what he believes or has said or done but because his presence will alienate some fans) but I am a Trek fan, it is a Trek movie therefore I will see it regardless.

On the bright side; his fans going to see it may offset the number not seeing it because he is.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a grudge against Tom Cruise??? :roflmao:

I think he's a fine actor. As for his personal life, many actors are whacko so thats nothing unusual. I have no problem with Cruise portraying Captain Pike.

Reread my post Kor, I didn't say I had anything against him except for the adverse effect he has on some Trek fans; his causing them to say they won't see it because of him. Which btw is silly IMO but people have that right.

If its a cameo that they are talking about, I hope Cruise doesn't play Capt. Pike. I would hope that Pike would have a larger role than that. He was at the top of his game during the time period they will be examining and he deserves a meaty role.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a grudge against Tom Cruise??? :roflmao:

I think he's a fine actor. As for his personal life, many actors are whacko so thats nothing unusual. I have no problem with Cruise portraying Captain Pike.

Being wacko and being "actively" socially irresponsible are not the same thing - everybody is a bit odd in at least someone else's opinion but this guy actively advises people to avoid necessary medical treatment. There is nothing silly about refusing to promote (ie spend money to make them richer) the rich and irresponsible any more than its silly to refuse to contribute to certain lobbying groups or charities that promote ideas detrimental to society. People have the right to free speech - but when someone actively works to harm others I certainly have the right not to help make them richer. When you pay money to see a movie you are helping make the actors richer.

A cameo wouldn't necessarily stop me from seeing this but a major role might - I try to be conscientious about how I use my hard earned money to affect society. I find it disturbing that people dont' see the connection between how they spend their money and its effects on society.

I'm pretty certain they won't give Mr. Cruise a chance in the movie where he preaches the word of Hubbard.

And don't be absurd. Of course you'll see the movie. You'll see it multiple times in the cinema then buy the DVD.

it'll be a cold day in hell if i found out that he'll be in the damn movie. i wouldn't even buy the damn dvd. i'd probably use the dvd as targeting practice, the same way i did to nemisis.

Edited by tj_hawk

it'll be a cold day in hell if i found out that he'll be in the damn movie. i wouldn't even buy the damn dvd. i'd probably use the dvd as targeting practice, the same way i did to nemisis.

Yeah, sure you will.