Sign in to follow this  
Spike The Trill

ST:TMP Directors Cut

I borrowed it from the library after losing my VHS copy of the 1979 release in after moving. I have to say I prefer this one to the 1979 version. The scene with Spock on Vulcan was amazing, IMO, and the view V’ger outside of the energy cloud orbiting Earth was just breathtaking. Other than a few line that were cut, I feel that this version should be the definitive version of TMP.

Yes, I like the Director's Cut much better as well... in fact, I don't even have the original movie on DVD. :)

I've had the director's cut for several years now. Its like watching a whole new movie. They really did a nice job with it!

I agree it is a much better movie for having lost so much of the boring "flying through V'ger" footage, and the new effects are fantastic however, I feel too much of the original dialogue was cut.

I agree it is a much better movie for having lost so much of the boring "flying through V'ger" footage, and the new effects are fantastic however, I feel too much of the original dialogue was cut.

That's my only complaint. Some of the line I expected were cut. But, overall, it's a vast improvment.

It's also the first time I was able to watch TMP without dozing off, and having to rewind :)

I love the part that they added in at the beginning where you can see a TOS shuttlecraft taking off.

I love the part that they added in at the beginning where you can see a TOS shuttlecraft taking off.

I had to rewind to see what it was. It was a nice touch :)

The whole approach to Starfleet Headquarters was awesome!

I enjoy the Director's Cut far more than the original. Although, I would have liked to have them keep all of the original dialog in. That's the only problem that I have with it.

I enjoy the Director's Cut far more than the original. Although, I would have liked to have them keep all of the original dialog in. That's the only problem that I have with it.

That was my only problem with it too, but none of the cut lines took away from the story, so I can live with it :)

That was my only problem with it too, but none of the cut lines took away from the story, so I can live with it :)

Agreed. But I had seen the original cut so many times that I got used to hearing all of the lines. But since the SFX are so much better in the Director's Cut, I can live with the missing lines.

That was my only problem with it too, but none of the cut lines took away from the story, so I can live with it :yahoo:

Agreed. But I had seen the original cut so many times that I got used to hearing all of the lines. But since the SFX are so much better in the Director's Cut, I can live with the missing lines.

I know the feeling. I think I drove the Mrs. crazy pointing out the cut lines. Bur, liek I said, as long as it wasn't a line that was important to the story, it's all good. Now if they had cut aline explaining V'GER for example....

I know the feeling. I think I drove the Mrs. crazy pointing out the cut lines. Bur, liek I said, as long as it wasn't a line that was important to the story, it's all good. Now if they had cut aline explaining V'GER for example....

Neither of my wives would watch anything Trek with me. Which is why I have four TV's in my house. I've been watching Enterprise on my Plasma on HDnet. I should hook my PS3 up to it so I can watch the DVD's of the movies. Now that would be a blast. :yahoo:

Neither of my wives would watch anything Trek with me. Which is why I have four TV's in my house. I've been watching Enterprise on my Plasma on HDnet. I should hook my PS3 up to it so I can watch the DVD's of the movies. Now that would be a blast. :yahoo:

Make me wish I could come over and watch. sounds like a sweet set up you have.

My first wife would not come within a lightyear of anything Trek, or sci fi in general. The Mrs. of now will give it a try, though I know she's not big on Trek because of her dad being a huge Trekkie/Trekker. However, she does watch it with me, but mostly the movies. I did, however, get her into the now Battlestar Galactica, and Doctor Who, and she watches Transformers with me, so 3 out of 4 isn't bad :)

It is a much tighter movie with a slightly faster pace that was much needed.

I am sure that the original was a visual feast for the Star Trek fans of the '70s who only had their seventy odd episodes to keep them entertained which lacked the special and cgi effects which we are now used to. I am sure that at that cinematic premiere of 1979, the Motion Picture still packed awe into its audience despite being a bit of a Roddenbery God-Machine fest in pastels.

Only over time did it not fare well, especially against the backdrop of the personal drama of the Wrath of Khan and the subsequent movies and the later cgi battle scenes of later series, especially Voyager.

That said, The Motion Picture was due a bit of a renovation and the Director's Edition makes a darned good stab at it. The V'Ger exterior was much needed - it bothered me that we only saw this strange cloud thing that looked like a giant Walls Vienetta. The new ship exterior was based, in shape, on the icon on the Enetrprise's view screen depicted in the original movie - an octogon sort of shape.

Overall, a much mich better movie.

I too love this new Directors cut much improvment but the one thing that still get's me is with all this get advansement in computer grafics you would think they get rid of the stand that the shuttle pod was on lol it's where kirk and scotty take a trip to the new Enterprise and they start to dock to the ship you can see the stand taht the model was on. You would think they would get rid of it but no they kept it in lol. Go Figure.

Brian

I got this film with the star trek collectors magazine and I think's it's ok having not see the original it's hard to compare but seeing Kirks face when he see's the Enterprise is priceless

The original cut was like... Yikes! That big time dictor needed to be slapped!

I can't imagine he didn't think some of those scenes were just way too long.

The 1st scenes with the Klingons, on Vulcan were soooooo cool then the entire movie just went into slow motion.

It's the 30th anniversary of the film's original release this month, and to celebrate I just watched the Director's Cut (again). It is an improvement on the original cut, and the new effects are great - but I still remember the thrill and awe I got in the cinema when Scotty and Kirk took the tour around the Enterprise. Remember, we hadn't had ANY Trek of any kind, save the reruns of the original series, and the animated series, for... well, it seemed like forever. No videos, just a few books if you were lucky enough to be able to track them down.

From that perspective, the film was awesome. We WANTED to crawl over every inch of the Enterprise, and we didn't care how long the mission took, because we wanted to spend more time in the company of these people who we had missed so much.

Yes, the V'Ger flyover is still too long. But for the rest - it's a lot better than it's often given credit for.