Sign in to follow this  
bearded ape

public cameras

UK city's are almost completely covered by cameras, and according to the news, many american city's are giving it some thought. i don't know what it is but i just don't like the idea of the governments having control of cameras that can see everything anybody does unless its in a basement and everybody's comings and goings being watched.

My understanding is that these camera are being deployed in high crime areas. If they do indeed have an effect on crime then I'm all for them.

As long as they're on streets (like the cameras that take pictures of speeding cars' license plates) and sidewalks, I don't care. Those are public areas. People who claim that such cameras would invade their privacy have no legitimate argument.

As long as they're on streets (like the cameras that take pictures of speeding cars' license plates) and sidewalks, I don't care. Those are public areas. People who claim that such cameras would invade their privacy have no legitimate argument.

Thats exactly where they are. They are certainly not talking about installing cameras to look into your home! Since I live in a city with the nation's third highest crime rate, I've seen these things around. they are installed onto light poles and such and record activity around high crime area such as drug corners and such. I feel safer seeing them.

I hear that there are some websites where you can see the view of some of those cameras. There's a few towns in my area that offer that.

There is a web site Birds Eye View of live Web Cams

There is a link there to veiw live web cams from all over the

world. Most are run by that citys tourist board. to showcase there city

it has cameras from Russia to the US to the Anartic.

To a live veiw of a bar in Key West FLA.

its a fun site.

We have a lot too. Many of the buildings now.

Seems like it's becoming more and more commonplace and, perhaps, a necessity in large cities.

Seems like it's becoming more and more commonplace and, perhaps, a necessity in large cities.

Is that your new doggy in your avatar?

Yorkie!!! :biggrin: :blink: :dude:

Yorkie!!! :biggrin: :blink: :dude:

It's adorable!!! :clap:

Chicago has an increasing number of cameras at intersections, that take pictures of cars running red lights, ostensibly for safety but mainly for revenue enhancement. :biggrin:

There are also many cameras in high crime or gang areas. Additionally the downtown area is becoming more saturated with cameras. If it enhances security and helps deter crime, or helps identify criminals, I'm for it.

Edited by trekz

Chicago has an increasing number of cameras at intersections, that take pictures of cars running red lights, ostensibly for safety but mainly for revenue enhancement. :biggrin:

If people did not run red lights cause dangerous situation there would no need "revenue enhancement". People have and will die, because other people lack any amount of safety concern for their fellow car drivers. :dude:

A few years ago - somewhere in the Panhandle - there was a guy who put cameras in the ladies restroom at his company. He claimed it was to prevent employee abuse of time or something like that. Obviously he got in trouble for it.

I understand the point of using cameras for safety but I don't want to see it get to the point of having cameras in the workplace all day long.

Yorkie!!! :dude::dude: :blink:

Thanks, guys. :biggrin: Yep, that's Mitzi. We got her 2 weeks ago this Friday. She comes from the Humane Society & is 13 mos. old. She was paper & crate trained but we're working on the house breaking. :clap:

The people who had her before us were apparently very loving (b/c all she wants to do is kiss & cuddle) but they cut her hair something awful. My mother is trying to let it grow in and long as a Yorkie's should -- therefore, if you look at this video and see big ears (I call her Dumbo) :clap: be kind. We're hoping the hair will help cover them, hehehe. Look at your little Astro, Odi. What a cutie.

Here's Mitzi

Edited by athena28

Mitzi is certainly camera friendly :biggrin: The camera's taking her picture, the better!

Yorkie!!! :dude: :blink: :clap:

Thanks, guys. :biggrin: Yep, that's Mitzi. We got her 2 weeks ago this Friday. She comes from the Humane Society & is 13 mos. old. She was paper & crate trained but we're working on the house breaking. :clap:

The people who had her before us were apparently very loving (b/c all she wants to do is kiss & cuddle) but they cut her hair something awful. My mother is trying to let it grow in and long as a Yorkie's should -- therefore, if you look at this video and see big ears (I call her Dumbo) :dude: be kind. We're hoping the hair will help cover them, hehehe. Look at your little Astro, Odi. What a cutie.

Here's Mitzi

Yours still looks like a puppy. I keep Astro's far short during the summer. It is much easier to maintain in the summer, and he does run the risk of over heating. Astro loves being in the sun all day like a cat. Anyway you should have your dog groomed to allow the fur grow out more evenly. When your growing the fur out it will need daily brushing, and weekly washing. Depending how active you might want to do it twice a week. You will have a very good watch dog. :lol: No one who comes close to my door without Astro braking at the door. My dog wants to kiss and hug all the time as well.

Edited by Odie

I couldn't wait to give her a bath, Odie. :dude: She'd been home for about 2 weeks and we had to wait for the spaying scar to heal. Plus, my mom does brush her most nights. Don't know if she'll take her to a groomer till Sept., tho, as she really wants to grow that hair out :biggrin:

Funny you mention watchdog, tho. My last dog, Sophie, was a Yorkie too. She barked at everything. Not Mitzi. Thunder, doorbell, fireworks, cars -- she says nothing. But she does hear when I call so I don't think it's a hearing problem. She just doesn't seem to mind the loud noises.

Lucky for you Astro loves the kissing and hugging. What lovely little affectionate dogs.

Edited by athena28