Sign in to follow this  
Gummy

A 1976 Interview

Go To:

http://www.trekmovie.com

And click on the YouTube Interview featuring De Kelley, Jimmy Doohan and Walter Koenig. Harlan Ellison is also interviews towards the end as is the man who organized the first Trek Conventions. I haven't seen this in over 30 years and really enjoyed it. It's worth a look.

Those first conventions in New York in the early 1970s were really great. Today's cons pale by comparision.

Those first conventions in New York in the early 1970s were really great. Today's cons pale by comparision.

Did you get a chance to see the interview? It was really great for me to see again.

He was saying that the first convention was expected to draw only about 300-500, and 3,000 showed up.

It was a blast to hear the stories once again. Harlan Ellison was hilarious!!! :hug:

Yeah, I saw the interview. I missed the very first con but I DID go to the 2nd ever Trek con. I still have the program autographed by Doohan!

Yeah, I saw the interview. I missed the very first con but I DID go to the 2nd ever Trek con. I still have the program autographed by Doohan!

That item alone should be a Family Heirloom.

I still have a lot of stuff from that con. It was in 1972 at the Commodore Hotel in New York. I also went to the 3rd ever Trek con at the same place in 1973. I have a picture of myself all of 13 years old sitting in the Captains chair . They had a full size replica of the Enterprise bridge there. Very cool! I got Doohan's autograph when I spotted him wandering around the dealer's' room at the con. Where can you see THAT happening today? I believe the entire cast was there. I recall that they all had tables in the dealer's room where they would chat with fans and sign autographs. A lot of good memories from that con. The cons today are c.rap compared to those.

I still have a lot of stuff from that con. It was in 1972 at the Commodore Hotel in New York. I also went to the 3rd ever Trek con at the same place in 1973. I have a picture of myself all of 13 years old sitting in the Captains chair . They had a full size replica of the Enterprise bridge there. Very cool! I got Doohan's autograph when I spotted him wandering around the dealer's' room at the con. Where can you see THAT happening today? I believe the entire cast was there. I recall that they all had tables in the dealer's room where they would chat with fans and sign autographs. A lot of good memories from that con. The cons today are c.rap compared to those.

You're the first person that I know that went to the cons back then. I envy you so much. I would have loved to have been able to attend one. The closest con to me was in Syracuse back in the late 80's-early 90's. I remember that I couldn't attend because I couldn't get the time off from work. And 1.0 wouldn't let me get out of the babysitting duty that weekend. :hug:

I believe that this led to our eventual divorce. :hug: