Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Armless,One- Legged Driver Eludes Police

Armless, One-Legged Driver Eludes Police

AP

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. (May 10) - Authorities were led on a high speed vehicle chase by an armless, one-legged man, and they said this wasn't the first time the 40-year-old eluded police.

Michael Francis Wiley taught himself to driver after losing both arms and a leg in an electrical accident when he was 13. He spent time in prison for kicking a Florida Highway Patrol trooper after an accident in 1996. He led police on a 120 mph chase in 1998.

On Tuesday, Wiley sped off in a Ford Explorer when police approached him at a convenience store, New Port Richey police Capt. Darryl Garman said. Officers pursued, but called off the chase after eight minutes because they did not want to put others in danger, Garman said.

Wiley was arrested the next day on charges of fleeing from police and habitually driving without a license. He also is awaiting trial on separate drug charges and traffic violations. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Defense attorney John Hooker said his client has paid off previous traffic fines that got his license suspended and tried to get a new driver's license, but he was rebuffed by state officials. Wiley's license has been revoked so many times it is now a felony to drive.

"What makes him do it?" Hooker said when asked why Wiley keeps getting behind the wheel. "I think it's an urge he has that makes him feel as important and as good as anyone. It gives him a sense of self-esteem."

Hooker said he had not had a chance to talk to Wiley about the most recent charges.

Even before Wednesday's arrest, prosecutors were seeking to send Wiley to prison for at least five years for felony drug and traffic charges.

"He has a hideous record," Assistant State Attorney Mike Halkitis said after an August 2006 arrest. "It's just got to end."

Wiley was being held in the Pasco County jail on $500,000 bond.

I'd be willing to bet that this guy's nickname isn't "Lucky"...........

UPDATE:

End of the Road for Armless Driver

By PHIL DAVIS,AP

Posted: 2007-08-01 17:54:06

LAND O' LAKES, Fla. (AP) - There was a time when nothing could keep Michael Francis Wiley from behind the wheel - not even a triple amputation that makes simple tasks like tying a shoe impossible.

Even police, who busted Wiley so many times that it's now a felony for him to drive, couldn't stop him.

But now he is at the end of the road: He is scheduled to face a judge Friday for sentencing on a new round of felony traffic and drug possession charges. Prosecutors want to put him in jail for five years, and this time, Wiley says he's turning in the keys for good.

"I'm beat. The white flag is up," said Wiley, 40, from behind thick glass in the Pasco County Jail. "You can only bang your head against the wall so long before it hurts."

Wiley lost his arms and most of his left leg in a 1980 accident when he was 13. He fell off an elevated train platform while fooling around at an abandoned switching station in New York City, and grabbed a live electrical line to break his fall. He touched metal while trying to regain his footing, and roughly 11,000 volts of electricity surged through his arms and legs.

He learned to live without limbs. He taught himself to drive. He starts the car with his toes, shifts with his knee and steers with the stump of his left arm. He turns on the lights with his teeth.

Driving, he says, is one of the few things that lets him feel free and exert his independence.

"I'm an excellent driver," Wiley said. "It is something I can do well by myself. I've been thoroughly tested by the department of motor vehicles and I passed with flying colors."

On that point, authorities disagree. His clashes with authorities over his driving habits date back two decades.

He once had a valid license, but it has been suspended several times for motor vehicle and drug infractions. Wiley has said he turned to drugs - both prescription and illegal - to numb his chronic pain.

He's been accused of everything from sneaking drugs into jail in his prosthetic leg, possessing marijuana while driving to kicking a Florida Highway Patrol officer investigating a crash. He's led police on chases.

He has 12 convictions for felony driving with a suspended license since 1996, according to Florida Department of Corrections records. And though he's served prison time for five of them, until now, it's never been enough to keep him off the road.

"It's something I can do independently. I know it's wrong, but it's something I can do by myself," Wiley said.

Wiley was already facing felony charges of driving without a license on May 8 when a police officer spotted him behind the wheel of a blue Ford Explorer at a convenience store. The officer told him to wait while he ran a license check.

He put the truck in gear and sped off, according to the arrest report. Officers pursued, but called off the chase because the Ford was zipping through oncoming traffic in a "reckless" manner. Wiley was arrested the next day and charged with fleeing.

Wiley won't discuss the specifics of his case, but said fear of drug withdrawal is one of the reasons he fled.

In June, Wiley entered a no contest plea to a variety of driving and drug charges. He plans to ask the judge for mercy and hopes to get sentenced to a drug treatment program. His attorney, John Hooker of Tampa, said it is unlikely Wiley will avoid a prison sentence.

"It's sad to say. I just hope the system has not given up on him," Hooker said. "He hasn't hurt anyone but himself and his family."

When it's all over, Wiley plans to go somewhere far away, where police won't recognize him on sight.

"I don't like the idea that I'm Pasco County's most notorious driver. That's hype," Wiley said. "I'm not public enemy No. 1. I'm just a regular guy with some handicaps. I made a few mistakes. I'm sorry and I'm paying for them."

This guy definitely has some serious problems.

You have to hand it to the police though. Catching a one legged man for driving is quite a feat. :)