Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

2nd Season

While watching the second season I've enjoyed the subtle references to the Dominion in a couple of episodes. They are usually mentioned by a species in the gamma quadrant, but just as a passing reference. Having known what all happens with the Dominion and the Federation it's kind of intersting to hear them mentioned and then the starfleet personal think very little of it. I wonder if Berman and friends had the entire scope of the Dominion laid out at that point.

Wether Or Not They Had It All Laid...I Don't Think We'll Evet Know...Or Maybe They Did....To Quote The Female Vorta In "The Jem'Hadar"

You Have No Idea What's Begun Here.

I Didn't Think Much Of It At The Time, But Damn Was She Right.

Good question. I think that by the end of season 2 they would have had some plan of the Dominion playing a major role in the series. I loved what they did with the Dominion and to this day I hold a soft spot for the Jem'Hadar. Poor things...

I was watching season 3's Extra's DVD which is all about the Birth of the Dominion. They had no idea where to take the Dominion in seasons 1 and 2 but they did keep it a mystery on purpose, mentioning them first in a Ferengi "comedy" episode (Rules Of Acquisition). During the off season between season 2 and 3 Robert Hewitt Wolfe did a write up that detailed the dominion, who each faction was and what their role was. So it really wasn't until "pre-season" of season 3 that the Dominion was figured out. They brought in the Vorta, the Jem'hadar and the Founders hoping that at least one of them would "stick" as a bad guy and of course we all know that all 3 "stuck" nicely. They did say they made some mistakes back in the beginning though. If you go back to the final episode of season 2 and see the Vorta you will likely see some of those mistakes. (What happened to their great mental powers?)

Watch tht special features disc f season 3, it's very interesting!

(What happened to their great mental powers?)

This might be a split topic but you're right, I had completely forgotten about that till now and now that you mentioned it I remembered when that was first said I wondered if it was gonna lead to a great "War of the Telepaths"* but alas not.

(*Copyright Alterego@2003 :lol: )

I doubt that they had it planned out at that point. While reading the Official Star Trek magazine on a few occasions I found that they rarely plan much farther than half a season if even that. I think it was just there for future use in case they decided to use it.

Here's an audio file that explains the Dominion. If you are waiting for the special feature DVD's and don't want to hear anything from them then do not press play. This is the audio of the "Birth Of The Dominion" special feature. It's about 11 minutes long and is a fairly good size (1.6mb) so if you are in dial up give it a moment to load. Just keep pushing the play button until you see it start up.