Sign in to follow this  
star_rose

brent spiner in a musical, 1776

today I have heard a CD with the musical 1776 about the war for the independence of America.

The protagonist is Brent, who plays as John Adams, a fervent independist. It was recorded in 1997.

His voice is beautiful!!!

I recommand it to all fans of Brent.

Spiner is an outstanding actor. His versatility is amazing. And yes, he can sing too. Check out the CD that he put out about 15 years or so ago called "Old Yellow Eyes is Back". His TNG Co-Stars did the backup vocals on it.

Spiner is an outstanding actor. His versatility is amazing. And yes, he can sing too. Check out the CD that he put out about 15 years or so ago called "Old Yellow Eyes is Back". His TNG Co-Stars did the backup vocals on it.

thank you, I have already bought it 4 years ago, and now it is in my collection of Star Trek souvenirs.

thank you, I have already bought it 4 years ago, and now it is in my collection of Star Trek souvenirs.

It's a fun listen and very soothing. I like to listen to it when I am in a mellow mood.

It helps to keep me that way. :P

today I have heard a CD with the musical 1776 about the war for the independence of America.

The protagonist is Brent, who plays as John Adams, a fervent independist. It was recorded in 1997.

I've seen the movie, which was made in 1972 or something like that. What did they do make an audio book out of it too?

I've seen the movie, which was made in 1972 or something like that. What did they do make an audio book out of it too?

It isn't really an "audiobook",( Brent has made an audiobook called The Grid), this is a real musical, that means, a story about the war of secession against the English empire with the actors who sing always.

It is beautiful....

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

The original Broadway production of 1776 opened on March 16, 1969 at the 46th Street Theatre (now the Richard Rodgers Theatre) and closed on February 13, 1972 after 1217 performances. In its three year run, it would play in three different theatres: the 46th Street, the St. James Theatre (1970) and, finally, the Majestic Theatre (1971).

The show was lauded at the 1969 Tony Awards, where it was nominated for five awards and won three: Best Musical; Best Featured Actor in a Musical (for Ronald Holgate as Richard Henry Lee), and Best Direction of a Musical. It was also nominated for the Tony Awards for Best Featured Actress in a Musical (for Virginia Vestoff as Abigail Adams) and for Best Scenic Design. William Daniels was ruled ineligible for the Best Actor nomination because his name was not billed above the title of the show; he refused a nomination for Best Featured Actor. 1776 also won the 1969 Theatre World Award and two Drama Desk Awards for Outstanding Book and Outstanding Costume Design.

Many members of the original Broadway cast reprised their roles for the film. Both the stage version and the movie featured William Daniels as John Adams, Ken Howard as Thomas Jefferson, and Howard Da Silva as Benjamin Franklin. Rex Everhart, who was Da Silva's standby, replaced him on the original Broadway cast album after Da Silva suffered a mild heart attack which required him to leave the show temporarily. Betty Buckley made her Broadway debut as Martha Jefferson in the original stage production, while that role was played by Blythe Danner in the film. The original cast is listed at "Rational Magic".

Revival

1776 was revived by the Roundabout Theatre Company in 1997, with Brent Spiner as John Adams, Michael Cumpsty as Dickinson, Pat Hingle as Franklin, and Paul Michael Valley as Jefferson. It played a limited engagement at the Roundabout's home theatre, the Criterion Center, before transferring to the Gershwin Theatre for a commercial run.

The revival was nominated for three Tony Awards: Best Revival of a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, and Best Featured Actor in a Musical (for Gregg Edelman as Edward Rutledge). Edelman won a 1998 Drama Desk Award for his work as Rutledge; the show also received Drama Desk nominations for Outstanding Revival, Outstanding Direction (Ellis), and Outstanding Actor (Spiner).

Plot

Although 1776 tells the story of what happened at the Continental Congress in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1776 leading up to the signing of the United States Declaration of Independence, and it accurately portrays the serious personal and political issues at stake – frequently in the characters' own words, written by them at the time – it remains a musical comedy.

END of Wikipedia blurb--------------------------------------

I have always enjoyed the original Broadway album and 1972 movie. I look forward to hearing the 1997 revival.

It isn't really an "audiobook",( Brent has made an audiobook called The Grid), this is a real musical, that means, a story about the war of secession against the English empire with the actors who sing always.

It is beautiful....

I have the 1776 CD, but I didn't know about the audio book. I'll be looking for it. Thanks for the info! <_<

It is beautiful....

I have the 1776 CD, but I didn't know about the audio book. I'll be looking for it. Thanks for the info! <_<

the exact name of the audiobook is:

THE GRID, a novel by Philip Kerr, 2 cassettes read by Brent Spiner, Time Warner Audiobooks.

It is available on amazon.com

There is only the voice of Brent who plays all the characters. It is a good cassette, but the story is a little boring.

If I were in you, I would buy another audiobook:

WAR OF THE WORLDS, adapted by Howard Koch from the novel by H. G. Wells, with the voices of Leonard Nimoy, Gates Mc Fadden, Dwight Schultz, BRENT SPINER and Wil Wheaton, LA Theatre Works

It is more interesting, because there are the voices of a very talented Star Trek cast who plays a classic sci-fi novel. At the end there is also a little interview with Gates Mc Fadden.

It is also available on amazon.com

I hope that you read this before you order a cassette....

I didn't know that the War of the Worlds was an audio book! I'll try to get that one first.

Brent's voice was spellbinding in 1776. I'd heard him before, but I had no idea anyone could be so brilliant!

I'm looking forward to his new CD, which should be coming out sometime next year!