Sign in to follow this  
star_rose

the best villain of Star Trek:Shinzon?

What did you think about Shinzon? Nemesis was a real desaster, but I like this young man, Shinzon. He is a very talented person and I suffered at the end when he died, I hoped that Picard could save him.

I would like that this actor would make more movies, and that he would be the good guy, not the villain.

I thought that Shinzon was ok. It was a nice idea that got ruined by bad writing and directing.

Shinzon was an interesting villain, but ....

For the movies, I agree with Gummy: KHHHAAAAANNNNN!

For the TV series': I agree with Lady Britannia that the best (and most well developed imo) villain was Dukat in DS9.

I think very few of the above scripts were thought out all that well...here's my rundown, see if you agree with me :P

Movies: I agree that Shinzon was a maniacal goob, but no one seems to keep their eye on the most evil of them all, Dr. Tolian Soren, who was willing to (successfully in god-knows-how-many-timelines) kill billions to get back into the Nexus.

As to the series, I believe Dukat and Seska are equal runners-up...(their children could have hooves their so evil).

Kor pwns all Star Trek villains.

Should've been The Wrath of Kor, instead of Kahn. That would've rocked. :hug:

I couldn't agree more!.... :hug:

I loved Nemesis and liked Shinzon a lot, but my favorite Star trek movie villain is Khan. Dukat is my favorite series villain.

For the TV series': I agree with Lady Britannia that the best (and most well developed imo) villain was Dukat in DS9.

I loved Nemesis and liked Shinzon a lot, but my favorite Star trek movie villain is Khan. Dukat is my favorite series villain.

As usual, BakulaBabe shows excellent judgement, taste and refinement. :hug:

As usual, BakulaBabe shows excellent judgement, taste and refinement. :)

As do you, trekz! :)

Back to the topic...

The reason I like Khan (a little) better than Shinzon is that Khan's personality was more dynamic, and he seemed more dangerous.

What I'll do, when I get the time, is watch both movies back-to-back and compare Khan and Shinzon. I haven't watched either movie since last year. This could be interesting!

BTW, I also hoped that Shinzon could be saved, and was sad when he died.

Edited by BakulaBabe

For me Montalbam helps create a classic movie villain that Star Trek fans already know, yet takes him further on into a man dead-set on taking revenge on the man he most hates. This bond of hatred becomes more important to Khan than trying to take over strange new worlds. Khan's ferocious nature, fueled by his thirst for revenge, makes him a throat slitting, brain altering (via bugs) madman who nearly becomes a charactature, but avoids it imo by having a believeable backstory and history with Kirk. Quoting Klingon proverbs and Earth literature, Khan is both intelligent and dangerous, with his loyal crew behind him. For me, Khan is not only the best Trek villain, but one of the best movie villains ever.

For me Shinzon is an interesting villain who is not as well developed as Khan (or nearly as fun). I also think the James Horner soundtrack really adds to the overall mood in highlighting the whole movie including the scenes with Khan.

Edited by trekz

I think the best Trek villains are, of course, those that struggle with some sort of deep conflict, but have a certain measure of tragedy to their character. Khan is a megalomaniac, but his real mania for revenge comes from the death of his wife. I think that gives him an edge over Dukat, a conflicted character to be sure, but whose moral quandary is based on his own need for power rather than revenge. Shinzon is a tragic figure, but lacks the depth and backstory to be a sympathetic one. There's my tuppence.

Shinzon struck me as a spoiled brat with a superiority complex, he wasn't menacing and his actions caused no forboding, kind of a requirement for a menacing character. He was about as menacing as a beagle puppy.

For a movie villain it has to be Kahn, he was ruthless, vicious, hateful, scornful, contempable, intelligent and a megalomaniac, a pretty dangerous combination. He took what he wanted and didn't worry about the consequences of his actions because he believed he was superior and could not be wrong in his actions. His drive for what he wanted was unparalleled in Trek.

The best tv villain was Gul Dukat, he was a a despot with a touch of "humanity" the conflict withing made him interesting.

A sort of villain that has a warm place in my heart is Harcourt Fenton Mudd, he wasn't particulary dangerous or vicious but the humor of the situations he got into made him a loveable "villain"

Edited by statstarter

Imo, there is a tie for best movie villain. Shinzon of Remus and General Chang were both so tastefully articulate, yet dangerous. As for the tv series, i would have to say that Anorax from Voyagers "Year of Hell" was as complex and dangerous as they came.

Best Trek villain wasn't Shinzon.

It was Khan.

I agree, Khan was the best of the movies.

Dukat was the best Star Trek villain.

I liked Dukat, but I doubt he could carry a movie.

I also agree about Dukat being the best of the Series, he went through phases where you hated him, felt sorry for him, liked him and then loathed him.

Being a huge Niner it should be no surprise that I don't agree that he couldn't carry a movie, I really believe that if Paramount would put some money into doing a movie and let Ira Steven Behr write and produce it he could make a great DS9 movie. Of course with a DS9 movie you wouldn't need Dukat to be the sole villain, you have the Dominion , the Pah Wraiths, maybe they could figure out a way (bite my tongue) to bring back Winn. So many possibilities with DS9.

Someone give me Bill Gates bank acount for a couple years and I promise a DS9 movie that would blow everyone away... and every member of STF can be extras in the movie! <_<

im guess you plan to bring dukat back from the pah-wraiths and sisko back from the prohets aren't you? lol. not that im saying it'll be a bad idea, but you could just follow the book storylines what life was like after sisko left the station....and what a grand exciting time that was...then again sisko's replacement from starfleet was kinda boring.