Sign in to follow this  
master_q

World (Universe) Records for Trek Watching

How Much of a Star Trek Geek Are You?

As asked at SpaceTigger's place, from your memory, approximately what has been your longest record for watching Star Trek without taking any major breaks? (How many hours? Or episodes/movies?) :dude:

Interesting question. Because of the amount of time I put into my business, Its hard for me to do any type of marathon watching. However, I do recall watching 4 episodes of TOS in a row once when they were doing a marathon on TV. That would probably be the most I've ever watched in one sitting.

I remember back when it was Trek's 25th anniversay, and as a special event they played the top 10 episodes. I watched the whole thing through.

I remember 1 saturday watching about 11 episodes, it was a mix of tos, tng, voy and ent. It was a very good day.

EDIT:

And then 2 movies about 10 minutes later.

Edited by mowzer

I've watched a few 10 - 12 hour marathons straight through a couple of times. Also when I first got my TNG and Enterprise season DVDs I would watch 2 or 3 disks back to back.

If toilet breaks count, my personal record is 10 hours. that's hitting the pause button on the TiVo, and grabbing food along the way. I should note, it was winter time, we were snowed in, and I was off that day. So, it's not like I had anything pressing to do.

Edited by Gummy

I got into Star Trek when I was in high school, and my parents wouldn't let me watch TV on weekdays. At this time, TNN (as it was called then) was playing something like two TNG episodes a day, even more on Fridays, and Sci Fi was playing TOS episodes every day. Enterprise was fresh every week, and if I was lucky, there was a channel that would sometimes play Voyager (if it wasn't preempted for a Spurs game). So I would record about four to five VHS tapes worth of Star Trek and watch them all weekend. Oh, those were good times.

when I was watching all of DS9 on DVD, I watched about 8 episodes a day (on free days). I'd say that was my longest stretch that I can think of unless I had one day when i just watched Trek.

I couldn't put an actual number to it and be sure it was correct but back before I founded STF and before all of the series were on DVD I made a concerted effort to find and download as many episodes as I could. I didn't watch every episode as soon as I downloaded it though, but when I got all of DS9 completed I decided to start with episode 1 and watch them all through to completion.

I remember being on vacation from work for a week and just watching the whole series, I don't remember if I completed all 7 seasons in that week but in that time I'd watch from the time I got up until I went to bed with short breaks to get something to eat or shower or whatever. So I would guess it would be somewhere between 15 or 16 hours in a row each day for a week.

That was around 2001 or 2002. Since then I'll pull out the DVD's and watch a disc at a time, sometimes 2 discs a day when I'm in the mood and have the time. A lot of times I'll pop a disc in the DVD player and have it on while I'm doing other things but only half paying attention.

Before any of that, back in the 90's when Sci-Fi or TNN would do a marathon I'd watch all of those. Sometimes it might be 8 episodes or sometimes 10.

curious, would it be possible for someone to watch seven seasons in a week? That's a season a day for DS9 :laugh:

If I'm not mistaken there's 176 episodes of DS9, each episode is roughly 45 minutes on DVD I believe so that works out to about 132 hours. There's 168 hours in a full 7 day week, so it'd be possible but that would only leave about 5 hours per day to sleep or do anything else.

If I'm not mistaken there's 176 episodes of DS9, each episode is roughly 45 minutes on DVD I believe so that works out to about 132 hours. There's 168 hours in a full 7 day week, so it'd be possible but that would only leave about 5 hours per day to sleep or do anything else.

In other words, piece of cake!

Well, it has been a couple of years.

It only seems fair to answer my own question. LOL.

I've been know to occasionally have Star Trek "marathons," watching one episode after another. When I'm sick I usually watch Trek. Approximately nine or ten months ago I had a three-day marathon because of the flu. That was the last time, minus the new movie, that I watched Trek.

At the present, though, I'm starting to watch two VOY episodes per day. When I finish I'll either take a break from Trek or watch TNG.

VOY starts out a little dry. But it will kick up soon. However, it really takes off with the introduction of Seven of Nine. I would say, for the most part, that it is an underrated series.

As I said, once in a while I might drop by. And this is one of those times. I guess watching Trek has given me a sort of surge to post on the message board. I even, already, took a note or two watching the VOY episodes, just like old times! Maybe I'll post the trivia question or two in the future.

Im not sure I could count the hours but doing my DS9 catch up (and my Voyager rewatch) I did watch quite a lot in a day. Though I didn't manage to get through all of Voyager in a week like above, nor DS9.