I think we're all missing the point...

Star trek is a culmination of one man's dream, much like Data, a dream of a unified community of people with similar minds and goals, to create the peace, not force the peace.

Star trek is much like our own US constitution, it was designed to change, to adapt and serve a new purpose for each succeeding generation that was honored enough to be able to enjoy a new episode bi-weekly in prime time like I was when i was younger.

Star trek, as well as all Scifi, are a reflection of our time, telling present-day stories and conflicted ideals in a new way, a way that will give the dreamers and shapers among us a new way of looking at the problems we face every day.

In TOS it was hippies and klingons, and the enemy of the day was conformity and communism. Look at the themes of the day, it's all there...

In TNG it was Borg and later in season 4+, the various races along the Federation borders with Cardassia, Bajor, and Romulan space. The Enterprise had to play diplomat and policeman for hundreds of worlds in these sectors between DS4 and DS9, does that remind you of anything that the US was doing in the late 80s and early 90s?

In DS9 there was Cardassia and the Dominion, with Bajor playing a major stabilizing role in the show. At the same time as DS9 was going on we were fighting in desert storm and shield, going to war over oil and money, and in general it was the beginning of a very dark time for the USA and it's allies, the same kind of dark atmosphere that spread into DS9's scrypting. I'm not complaining, as it was my favorite of the series, but it did show that the Federation isn't perfect and there's a lot to show for an organization that condemns the usage of agencies like the obsidian order and tal shiar while employing men like Luther Sloan in the beginning.

I could go on but I don't need to...Science Fiction is a reflection of the times we live in, and that may be why Enterprise failed and Nemesis kind of blew goats, because it didn't embody a struggle we're facing today, but just tried to tell a story for the sake of creating more cannon and making a quick buck...unfortunately they were stories that few if any of us could relate to.

Just my $0.02

it is a very complex intervent.... I think that it is true, the schi-fi is parallel to the real life and histrory, but I think that the fortune of the movies doesn't depend on different point of views, but indeed on the consistency of the plot. Nemesis was the worse Star Trek movie which I have seen, because the scenes were too dark, the atmosphere was under the pression of a dark destiny and at the end Data died!!!!The hero of TNG!!!!

Data dying did blow, but I remember reading an article of an interview with Brent Spiner saying that he wasn't interested in playing Data anymore...I do like what they did with B4, leaving a loophole in canon history for the script writers to work with in bringing him back.

the entire storyline of season three of Enterprise was symbolism for 9/11. Just like New York was attacked for no reason, Earth is attacked by the Xindi at the end of season two and the death of Trip's sister symbolizes the loss of family members people were feeling in reality. Bragas has said that the Suliban are based on the Taliban

So, ENT did deal with issues of the day, along with gay rights among other things as well. When a Vulcan was kicked off the counsil for having mind melded was deep symbolism again. That's what made ENT good, it went back to the TOS way of tell issues of today in scifi and ENT did that

the entire storyline of season three of Enterprise was symbolism for 9/11. Just like New York was attacked for no reason, Earth is attacked by the Xindi at the end of season two and the death of Trip's sister symbolizes the loss of family members people were feeling in reality. Bragas has said that the Suliban are based on the Taliban

The Suliban=Taliban thing was conceived of prior to 9/11. But the symbolism is still there. The only problem with Enterprise's symbolism when compared to the other Star Trek series is that it isn't especially subtle.

A. While I disagree about Lost, Abrams has not had a significant creative influence (i.e. writing) on Lost since about the sixth episode (aside from directing I think like one episode).

B. Okay, I am going to say this one last time, not just for TUH.

STAR TREK XI IS NOT A REIMAGINING, A REMAKE, OR A REBOOT!

It has been clearly established that Star Trek XI is going to be in line with canon. There may be a few tweaks here and there but that's to be expected. The term reimagining was only brought up with regards to the look of the movie and that came from an interview with the writers and wasn't even a direct quote.

If you want the latest information on Star Trek XI, go to www.trekmovie.com

Thanks for posting this link. Having the new film stay with canon is always a big worry of mine when it comes to my Trek. (When they introduced Sybok in "Final Frontier," I was the one in the back of the theater yelling, "Oh, you're so full of it! Spock does NOT have a brother!") I'd still like to see some of Vonda McIntyre's work make it into the film as part of the canon, she managed to keep the continuity pretty well in line. I'm hopeful about the new film, but like many, reserving judgement until I see it.

ducky

-And pribably trying to reserve seats so I CAN see it...

I think we're all missing the point...

Star trek is a culmination of one man's dream, much like Data, a dream of a unified community of people with similar minds and goals, to create the peace, not force the peace.

Star trek is much like our own US constitution, it was designed to change, to adapt and serve a new purpose for each succeeding generation that was honored enough to be able to enjoy a new episode bi-weekly in prime time like I was when i was younger.

Star trek, as well as all Scifi, are a reflection of our time, telling present-day stories and conflicted ideals in a new way, a way that will give the dreamers and shapers among us a new way of looking at the problems we face every day.

In TOS it was hippies and klingons, and the enemy of the day was conformity and communism. Look at the themes of the day, it's all there...

In TNG it was Borg and later in season 4+, the various races along the Federation borders with Cardassia, Bajor, and Romulan space. The Enterprise had to play diplomat and policeman for hundreds of worlds in these sectors between DS4 and DS9, does that remind you of anything that the US was doing in the late 80s and early 90s?

In DS9 there was Cardassia and the Dominion, with Bajor playing a major stabilizing role in the show. At the same time as DS9 was going on we were fighting in desert storm and shield, going to war over oil and money, and in general it was the beginning of a very dark time for the USA and it's allies, the same kind of dark atmosphere that spread into DS9's scrypting. I'm not complaining, as it was my favorite of the series, but it did show that the Federation isn't perfect and there's a lot to show for an organization that condemns the usage of agencies like the obsidian order and tal shiar while employing men like Luther Sloan in the beginning.

I could go on but I don't need to...Science Fiction is a reflection of the times we live in, and that may be why Enterprise failed and Nemesis kind of blew goats, because it didn't embody a struggle we're facing today, but just tried to tell a story for the sake of creating more cannon and making a quick buck...unfortunately they were stories that few if any of us could relate to.

Just my $0.02

Well said, Entil'Zha! It was worth a lot more than $0.02 to me! I probably have some of the same concerns that TUH has, but also the same encouragement about the film that Jack has. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how new actors will portray the roles we know so well in a setting we are familiar with. I want to keep an open mind and go with the concept that "The story's the thing." If the story is Trek, and not something that plays like a bad fanfic, I'm all for it. (I've read fanfic over the years that has made me shudder...)

ducky

-Not your average Mary Sue...

I just have a really bad feeling about STXI. And I'm a huge fan of TOS.

I just think TOS is what it is and was. It should remain a respected part of Trek's past. The movies are about advancing the Trek universe and moving forward. Do a DS9 or Voyager film. Maybe even a Riker/USS Titan film. This Kirk-Spock idea, it's going to tank bad. :hug:

What would everybody think about the new Trek FX being done in BSG style?

It is different from what I'm used to but I kinda like it. I'd prefer they stick with the beauty shots of old but if they don't, I wont boycott the film for it.

Also, there's been some talk about changes done to the exterior of the Ent, what kind of changes would be acceptable or not?

I'd like to see the phaser/torpedo pods moved from the saucer to the neck, and perhaps the addition of some rear/side facing weaponry.

EDIT: link fixed

Edited by Alterego

What would everybody think about the new Trek FX being done in BSG style? Example

It is different from what I'm used to but I kinda like it. I'd prefer they stick with the beauty shots of old but if they don't, I wont boycott the film for it.

Also, there's been some talk about changes done to the exterior of the Ent, what kind of changes would be acceptable or not?

I'd like to see the phaser/torpedo pods moved from the saucer to the neck, and perhaps the addition of some rear/side facing weaponry.

I couldn't get the link to work!

I wouldn't want to see ANY changes done to the exterior of the Enterprise. Moving the phaser/torpedo pods from the saucer to the neck was one of the upgrades to the movie version and it should remain as such. I think that rear/side facing weaponry should be included because it has always been accepted that the weapons could fire in directions other than forward.

Anything that was supposed to be on the original Enterprise should be shown but making obvious changes to the look of the ship we all remember would be terrible.

What exactly are we looking at in this video?

Also, the fonts should definitely be TOS. It IS a TOS movie afterall. Why in the world would we want TNG fonts?... :P

That is a sample of how the FX are done in the BSG series, only with the Ent. Does it look cool to you, would you mind if they do the same in the new movie? (not saying they will, just asking a question)

Again, Just asking a question! :P *shuts up*

That is a sample of how the FX are done in the BSG series, only with the Ent. Does it look cool to you, would you mind if they do the same in the new movie? (not saying they will, just asking a question)

Again, Just asking a question! :P *shuts up*

Actually, I would mind. The effect shown in the clip does not look realistic at all. It looks like a model being dangled from a string or something. I'm looking forward to finally seeing TOS with state of the art special effects.

I'm staying optimistic about this one. I'm a fan of J.J. Abrams previous work (however it does tend to start out strong and then taper off- Alias anyone? Started out great and then went bananas)-however I was a Trek fan first. It's a wait and see for me. I will be there on opening day for sure.

IDK I feel a let down, I dont think anything can live up to the expectations Trek Fans have for the film

Personally, I am going into this with an open mind.

While I doubt that I'm going to be disappointed, I think that going in with high expectations isn't a good idea.

^2000 post Gummy!

That's the way to think of it, as a movie you want to see which just happens to be a Trek movie. At the end you will either like it or not, same as with any film you go see.

Its an REMAKE REMAKE remake remake.....*echo echo echo echo*:congrats:

err *ahem* :notworthy:

Hmm...Most anicipated trek sequel and Im not even feeling anything. I must be stone cold...

Then again, Enterprise and ST Nemisis numbed me beyond help...

The new movie looks and sounds promising.

The enormous budget is the biggest problem. It will have to be the most successful Trek movie of all time just to break even.

But Paramount deserve credit for taking the franchise into a new direction.

After the mundane Voyager, the disaster of Enterprise and the colossal failure of Nemesis, something needed to be done. They couldn't just make another movie/TV show on Berman-auto pilot.

Financially it may not be a success, but creatively, at least something different is being attempted.

Well, I'm still not optimistic - I've said this before Lost is IMO tedious and boring so that is not an encouraging resume for having Abrams at the helm.

Although, if they surprise us with casting it could help. Most movie reimagings of tv series have not been good (The Fugitive being a possible exception)

A. While I disagree about Lost, Abrams has not had a significant creative influence (i.e. writing) on Lost since about the sixth episode (aside from directing I think like one episode).

B. Okay, I am going to say this one last time, not just for TUH.

STAR TREK XI IS NOT A REIMAGINING, A REMAKE, OR A REBOOT!

It has been clearly established that Star Trek XI is going to be in line with canon. There may be a few tweaks here and there but that's to be expected. The term reimagining was only brought up with regards to the look of the movie and that came from an interview with the writers and wasn't even a direct quote.

If you want the latest information on Star Trek XI, go to www.trekmovie.com

Well, The original and the second refit that became the big E of the ST Universe, NCC-1700 & NCC-1701, both being the same hull and ship... became is not nor has ever been designed in or out of canon to be an Atmospheric ship. I will yield the fact that the original Constitutions were build at the San Fransisco Ship Yard. There is also the issue of bridge design. Now in the 1960s, not much was known of GUIs "Graphic User Interfaces" or PADD or even 3D interface. In ST 11 the bridge design is more fluid and functional. The USS Kelvin NCC-0514 seems to be a hodge-podge of design due to lax development and the weakening of innovation and design within Hollywood Studios. I have seen the Paramount designs for TNG from one of the model makers himself, Local 44. None looked like the Kelvin. Gene Roddenberry was looking for a "Full Generation Ahead" look, not a rework of existing model parts.

I hold hope and a deep desire for ST 11 to work. After Nemesis, the ST franchise is on its knees and about to die or become a Phoenix and live again.

I think it's obvious that the new film is clearly a "sequel" AND a "re-imagining" and a very clever move by J.J. Abrams to have it both ways. By using the time-travel element in the story and employing Leonard Nimoy to play the older Spock, he has given his film a "certificate of authenticity" that places the film in so-called canon. At the same time, that same deft move gives him all the freedom to do as he likes with the "new" Enterprise and its crew. We have already seen some radical changes -- Kirk serving as a cadet under Captain Pike and First Officer Spock, the "Iowa Shipyards," the design of the ship, etc.

It's not unlike what Bryan Singer did with "Superman Returns," linking it to the Christopher Reeve films of the 70s by making it a "vague" sequel.

Regardless of what kind of animal it is, I can't wait to see the film and the cast looks very cool, although from the initial shots, the Enterprise itself looks a little top heavy and not as elegant as it has in the past.

I talked to a guy that worked at Best Buy and he was telling me about how he was looking forward to the new Trek movie, so I think that this movie will be big. The conversation came up 'cause I was wearing my Spock T-shirt (there are closet Trekkies everywhere!) lol.

Wow, it's hard to believe that we're in single digits, almost down to less than 24 hours on the counter. I'm really hoping the movie doesn't bomb and I'm hoping you're right J_B about the reboot or reimaging. Doing that would just totally kill 40+ years of hard work to keep everything as in canon as possible.

I'll reserve judgement until after I walk out of the theater though, which I suppose is what everyone should do.