Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Couple Fights For Baby "Metallica" Name

Couple Fights for Baby 'Metallica' Name

AP

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (April 3) - Metallica may work as a name for a heavy metal band, but a Swedish couple is struggling to convince authorities it's also suitable for a baby girl.

Sweden's tax agency rejected Michael and Karolina Tomaro's application to name their 6-month-old daughter after the legendary rock band.

"It suits her," Karolina Tomaro, 27, said Tuesday of the name. "She's decisive and she knows what she wants."

Although little Metallica has already been baptized, the Swedish National Tax Board refused to register the name, saying it was associated with both the rock group and the word "metal."

In Sweden, parents must get the names of their children approved by the tax authority, which is in charge of the population registry and issues personal identification numbers, similar to Social Security numbers in the United States.

Tomaro, who has appealed the decision, said the official handling the case also called the name "ugly."

The couple was backed by the County Administrative Court in Goteborg, which ruled on March 13 that there was no reason to block the name. It also noted that there already is a woman in Sweden with Metallica as a middle name.

The tax agency appealed to a higher court, frustrating the family's foreign travel plans.

"We've had to cancel trips and can't get anywhere because we can't get her a passport without an approved name," Tomaro said.

:clap::elephant::elephant:

And how many American Sports Junkies name their kids after ESPN?

More than you know.

So, I say let them name their kid after Metallica.

Who cares????

In about ten years, the kid is gonna care.

Unless the kid becomes a fan or learns how to fight by the time she gets into school.

I was named "Bret" after Bret Maverick, my father's favorite TV Show at the time.

I just thank God that the Flintstones weren't on then. :clap:

There is an approved list of names?

I believe the Swedish government has approval over the names parent choose for their children. A little odd but it does prevent parents saddling their children with some ridiculous name (see Moon Unit, Apple, Moxy Crimefighter, etc).

I believe the Swedish government has approval over the names parent choose for their children. A little odd but it does prevent parents saddling their children with some ridiculous name (see Moon Unit, Apple, Moxy Crimefighter, etc).

Didn't Nicolas Cage name his kid "JorEl" after Superman's Krypton Name?

No, he named him "Kal-El" which is actually Superman's real Kryptonian name.

No, he named him "Kal-El" which is actually Superman's real Kryptonian name.

That's right. Jor-El was his father's name. Thanks for straightening me out on that.

I agree that the kids is going to care in 10 yrs when children are kicking the crud out of her. (HER?!) My(unwed-Italian/Irish) cousin just named her baby Zion because she is addicted to Lauren Hill. I think its a dumb name and no respectable place of employment will take the kid seriously.

I can see something like this as a middle name, but maybe the first name should be something a little more traditional. (IMO)

They should call her "Entersandman Metallica Tomaro"

Yes. They could call her "Sandy" for short. :dude: