Sign in to follow this  
Gummy

Star Trek-Remastered

As a huge fan of TOS, I have immensely enjoyed the remastered episodes. What's cool about today is that we have CGI to improve upon the classics and, in my opinion, improve them. Some people were angry when Turner bought the old movies and colorized them. Some things are better left as they were. Some things can only get better. TOS has proven the latter.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

I like it and want the eventual uncut DVD release.

Complaints: They made staying so absolutely true to the original scenes so important it's sometimes just as silly as the originals. (examples: missing or un-remastered pics on sensor monitors, that silly way the ship approaches the camera; you know, off kilter etc.)

I'd hold out still for a third remastering, one totally over the top which revamps every second of every scene without regard to what the "purists" think or want.

I like it and want the eventual uncut DVD release.

Complaints: They made staying so absolutely true to the original scenes so important it's sometimes just as silly as the originals. (examples: missing or un-remastered pics on sensor monitors, that silly way the ship approaches the camera; you know, off kilter etc.)

I'd hold out still for a third remastering, one totally over the top which revamps every second of every scene without regard to what the "purists" think or want.

But don't you think that staying somewhat true to the original helps it to no lose its sense of balance?

Granted, some things are noticeably different, but some things shouldn't be changed. I would absolutely buy the uncut DVD Release.

"shouldn't be changed" Why, you and all the other purists are getting what you wanted right? A true to the original remastering. The true to the original is being done right now, I want an over the top version!

Why can't there be an over the top version for those that want it? Just because the purists say it shouldn't happen? :clap: Hogwash. It wont hurt anything.

But, the purists will probably get their way, just like they did for killing off Trek because it wasn't what "they" wanted.. :elephant:

"shouldn't be changed" Why, you and all the other purists are getting what you wanted right? A true to the original remastering. The true to the original is being done right now, I want an over the top version!

Why can't there be an over the top version for those that want it? Just because the purists say it shouldn't happen? :clap: Hogwash. It wont hurt anything.

But, the purists will probably get their way, just like they did for killing off Trek because it wasn't what "they" wanted.. :elephant:

I wouldn't call myself a "purest". If they could re-do it and put it over the top for SFX, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Nobody was madder than me when they cancelled "Enterprise". It was what I wanted. It was "more Trek". The more Trek there is, the happier I am.

I wouldn't call myself a "purest".

Well my apologies then. You began sounding like one is all.

If they could re-do it and put it over the top for SFX, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm happy your open to possibilitys. :clap:

Nobody was madder than me when they cancelled "Enterprise".

Always nice to know I wasn't alone in that anguish.

It was what I wanted. It was "more Trek".

Agreed.

No one has "killed off" Star Trek. An online series and and a new movie are in the works so clearly Star Trek is not dead.

Overall, I see no problem with "versions" of TOS being produced and released, as long as the unaltered TOS is still made available to anyone who prefers it. Improving the CGI and such simply gives the fanbase an option depending on their personal preferences.

I think the remastered episodes are great! I can't wait for the eventual dvd release!

Edited by Kor37

I think what I like most about the remastered TOS Episodes is the fact that they're drawing new fans to the genre. There are people watching now that didn't before and some wouldn't have watched it for anything.

The Fan Base is growing and it continuing to grow.

Which is a very good thing. :clap:

I really love the remastered episodes and I've been recording them on DVD when I can. They kind of make TOS match with the movie franchise and later series FX wise to a certain degree.

I really love the remastered episodes and I've been recording them on DVD when I can. They kind of make TOS match with the movie franchise and later series FX wise to a certain degree.

You've got a DVD-R Machine?

I am sooooooooo jealous! :P

Guest Ktrek

I haven't watched the remastered versions. I have no interest. I already own the original DVDs and can watch them at my leisure and that's what I do. I'm not opposed to the sfx being remastered I just love the series the way it was originally. As for the remastered series bringing in new fans I would love to think that's true but I have seen no evidence of that being so.

Kevin

I have been watching the remastered Trek on DVD today and it is completely and absolutely amazing. I love the great picture and sound and the new special effects. It is like watching it all over again for the first time! I love it

I have been watching the remastered Trek on DVD today and it is completely and absolutely amazing. I love the great picture and sound and the new special effects. It is like watching it all over again for the first time! I love it

Isn't it great? I felt the same way when I first watched it!

The only complaint I can remember I had was of the USS Defiant from "The Tholian Web". The ship was supposed to be listing, yet the ship seemed to be stuck with the saucer raised up , and didn't look that good on screen. The way the ship faded out also seemed more cheesy than the original one.

Its been a while since I posted, but I thought this would be a good place to start again.

I have been downloading the re-mastered series from Itunes since they put them up there. Making a collection of my favorite episodes. Compared to watching the older versions, they look great and I think the integrity and look of the show is still there. So far my favorite espisodes are "Mirror, Mirror", "Balance of Terror", and "Amok Time"