Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Trek XI To Be " a reimagining of the franchise"

MTV posted an exclusive interview with Star Trek XI screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Here are few excerpts from the article.

"There will be more action in this movie than any Trek that's preceded it," Kurtzman promised. Orci, without discussing a specific budget, added, "It'll be the biggest one. The economic models of the other [films] were very much based on the fans out there and their purchasing power. With this one we're going for the broad audience to bring people into Trek for the first time."

"The challenge of the movie is to be 100 percent true to the fanbase but also to bring in a whole new group of people who've never seen 'Trek' before," Kurtzman said.

As for recent rumors that Matt Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise were being considered to play the new versions of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, the duo were reluctant to spill the beans. Asked if they would be happy if Kirk were played by Damon, a long pause followed. Finally Kurtzman allowed, "I'm the hugest Matt Damon fan ever. If he became [Kirk], great."

Will William Shatner or Leonard Nimoy appear? "Really, who can say?" they answered.

They confirmed that Star Trek XI will be a starship-based adventure. "I don't know how you make Star Trek without a starship," Orci laughed. "You have to trek through the stars, so you need a ship for that. There, you got something out of us!"

Orci and Kurtzman also confirmed that the film is not in any way a prequel but a reimagining of the franchise. Whether that means a whole new look for Star Trek remains in question. "We're not going to start totally from scratch," Orci said. "We want it to feel like it's updated and of the now. That's actually the discussions we're having now: how to keep the look of the universe yet have it not look like nothing's new. It's tricky."

The duo also confirmed that the same production team that assisted them and Abrams on Alias and M:i:III will join them for Star Trek XI, including production designer Scott Chambliss and director of photography Daniel Mindel.

"We just hope they bless us," Kurtzman said about the former Star Trek stars. Shatner and Nimoy recently visited with Orci, Kurtzman and producer/director J.J. Abrams. According to the writers, the meetings went well. "It was pretty much the most stressful thing ever, but it was wonderful," Kurtzman said. "They were amazing."

Orci recalled. "We've been watching [star Trek] all our lives. I've even read the books. It was all about, what have I always wanted to see in Trek?'Trek,' more than anything, has always been about the human interactions. It's all about the human soul."

Edited by Gamera

Can't say I'm entirely thrilled with this news. It really has dampered my enthusiasm for Star Trek XI. However, it wouldn't seem to be a complete re-imagining but rather has a bit of tweaking. As long as its nothing like that crap reboot concept that J. Michael Straczynski came up with, I think I'll end up seeing it.

Edit: Okay, this is now showing up on TrekMovie, but that article has reduced my fears somewhat. Trekmovie believes that whole idea of the "re-imagining" is more in the look of the movie rather than in the content itself. This is based on the recent press release that suggests that the movie will not reinvent Star Trek history but will instead embrace and respect the Star Trek canon, which is what I really want. I understand going back to the days of Kirk to get Trek back on its feet but there is no need to abandon over 700 hours of canon in order to do so.

Okay, so now the only problem I have is with the title. Simply "Star Trek" doesn't seem right.

MTV posted an exclusive interview with Star Trek XI screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Here are few excerpts from the article.

"There will be more action in this movie than any Trek that's preceded it," Kurtzman promised. Orci, without discussing a specific budget, added, "It'll be the biggest one. The economic models of the other [films] were very much based on the fans out there and their purchasing power. With this one we're going for the broad audience to bring people into Trek for the first time."

"The challenge of the movie is to be 100 percent true to the fanbase but also to bring in a whole new group of people who've never seen 'Trek' before," Kurtzman said.

They confirmed that Star Trek XI will be a starship-based adventure. "I don't know how you make Star Trek without a starship," Orci laughed. "You have to trek through the stars, so you need a ship for that. There, you got something out of us!"

The duo also confirmed that the same production team that assisted them and Abrams on Alias and M:i:III will join them for Star Trek XI, including production designer Scott Chambliss and director of photography Daniel Mindel.

Orci recalled. "We've been watching [star Trek] all our lives. I've even read the books. It was all about, what have I always wanted to see in Trek?'Trek,' more than anything, has always been about the human interactions. It's all about the human soul."

There already was a movie that brought in non Star Trek fans: Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home! Humor, good story, character relationships - it all worked imo.

You can make a Star Trek work without a starship constantly - It was called Deep Space 9 - DUH!

MI III was an awful movie imo - too derivative and action for action's sake. That has me worried.

Edit: Okay, this is now showing up on TrekMovie, but that article has reduced my fears somewhat. Trekmovie believes that whole idea of the "re-imagining" is more in the look of the movie rather than in the content itself. This is based on the recent press release that suggests that the movie will not reinvent Star Trek history but will instead embrace and respect the Star Trek canon, which is what I really want. I understand going back to the days of Kirk to get Trek back on its feet but there is no need to abandon over 700 hours of canon in order to do so.

Okay, so now the only problem I have is with the title. Simply "Star Trek" doesn't seem right.

I agree Jack. Don't ignore the canon. As far as a title: Star Trek: The Reimagined Country :) :P

I'll watch but I hope they don't feature a dune buggy sequence like the last film :(

I still haven't seen anything that makes me want to watch it. An unappealing lead actor and a director associated with one of the most tediously boring shows on tv. If I'd seen MI 3 I guess I'd have even more to worry about.

I'm going to see it no matter what!

I'll join you. This Star Trek drought is getting to me!

It doesn't matter to me who is in it or who directs it...It's still star trek and therefore I'll go see it. I love everything that is star trek even if the critics don't like it. If I didn't love star trek and wasn't excited about the movie, I wouldn't be a member here.

I'm not sure I like this idea of "reimagining" Star Trek. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes was a "reimagining" in the same way described, and look how that turned out...

I don't like the term "reimagining" either. Lets hope they don't ruin Trek like they did Battlestar:Galactica!.. :P

Make no mistake - I'll go see this movie on the big screen as I have every other Star Trek feature. The question is will I go more than once, will I recommend it, and will I buy a copy? That depends on if it's a good effort and doesn't turn into an action for action's sake "reimagining" that veers away from the positive message and character driven roots that made me a Star Trek fan in the first place. I'll see any version of Trek but I fear that trying to graft the action of IMIII and the darkness, violence and confusion of Lost could damage the franchise even more than Nemesis did.

Edited by trekz

I don't like the term "reimagining" either. Lets hope they don't ruin Trek like they did Battlestar:Galactica!.. :P

Actually, I like the reimagined BSG better. However, if they reimagine Star Trek it better be a hell of a good production because it will be fighting against the entire Trek franchise to date.

Actually, I like the reimagined BSG better. However, if they reimagine Star Trek it better be a hell of a good production because it will be fighting against the entire Trek franchise to date.

Well, if you like what they did to BG and want the same for Trek then I will reccomend Angelina Jolie for the role of Captain Kirk............. :)

I'm not going to say I like all of the reimagined BSG stuff. I didn't think I would like Starbuck as a woman, and I don't like what they eventually did with her character (turning her into a religious psycho), but I did like the sparing and sexual tension between Starbuck and Apolo before this current season.

It is almost as good as the sexual tension between the 1978 Starbuck and Apolo. :P

I'm going to see it no matter what!

I'll second that. I am wondering though, if they're going to do to Trek what they did to Battlestar Galatica. In BSG's case, it was vastly improved over its original series.

I don't think that Trek can be improved upon. But only added it its already impressive legacy.

I don't like the term "reimagining" either. Lets hope they don't ruin Trek like they did Battlestar:Galactica!.. :rofl:

Well, if you like what they did to BG and want the same for Trek then I will reccomend Angelina Jolie for the role of Captain Kirk............. ;)

Oh, and you wouldn't want to see Angelina Jolie as a horny womanizer?