Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Vulcan Nerve Pinch

I thought it was interesting how Leonard Nimoy explained about how the Vulcan Nerve Pinch came to be and how it works in the book I am reading still, yes, "Star Trek Memories".

For those that don't know, according to Leonard, the VNP was invented when Nimoy read in a script that he was going to knock out the enemy by hitting them in the back of the head with the butt of his gun. He thought "How dull, that's not Spock". So he tried to figure out how to render people unconious, and the VNP was born. He explained how it works by saying that there is an energy that comes off the hands of Vulcans, and when the energy in the fingers stimulates certain nerves in a human neck, it makes them pass out.

I thought that was an interesting fact I never heard, I just figured that it was a casual pinch. I never thought about how it is done by Vulcan energy. You learn something every day :P

I remember a Star Trek special that he hosted back in the early 80's where he explained that also and he told of the origins of the Vulcan hand salute coming from his Jewish background.

Interesting stuff, I think I still have the special somewhere in my old Beta tapes. It was first aired sometime around the time of Star Trek II.

In an interview that I saw awhile ago, Nimoy explained that he created the VNP because he couldn't envision Spock throwing a punch or doing a Karate Chop on anyone. So, he went the "less violent" route.

I remember a Star Trek special that he hosted back in the early 80's where he explained that also and he told of the origins of the Vulcan hand salute coming from his Jewish background.

Interesting stuff, I think I still have the special somewhere in my old Beta tapes. It was first aired sometime around the time of Star Trek II.

That was among the Special Features on the last disc of Season 2, as well. I believe it's from the Hebrew letter Shin.

They've shown that 80's t.v special on Space as well was after the series ended but before the third film was started (VNP) and guess I can easily do the Hebrew letter shin on either hand.

I thought it was interesting how Leonard Nimoy explained about how the Vulcan Nerve Pinch came to be and how it works in the book I am reading still, yes, "Star Trek Memories".

For those that don't know, according to Leonard, the VNP was invented when Nimoy read in a script that he was going to knock out the enemy by hitting them in the back of the head with the butt of his gun. He thought "How dull, that's not Spock". So he tried to figure out how to render people unconious, and the VNP was born. He explained how it works by saying that there is an energy that comes off the hands of Vulcans, and when the energy in the fingers stimulates certain nerves in a human neck, it makes them pass out.

I thought that was an interesting fact I never heard, I just figured that it was a casual pinch. I never thought about how it is done by Vulcan energy. You learn something every day :clap:

Energy, huh? I always thought that, at the name implied, they actually pinched a certain nerve. After all, in "Space Seed" Kahn did basically the same thing to the transporter technician, and I doubt he had any special energy.