Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

United States of Africa

I am currently reading "Star Trek Memories" by William Shatner, and most know it is about the history of Star Trek. In this book, Nichelle Nichols says that she spent hours with Roddenberry during the first season of Star Trek, trying to create the background of her character Uhura. She said that Uhura is from the United States of Africa and her native tongue is Swahili.

My question, was this ever mentioned on the show? I don't remember them ever mentioning that, of course, I haven't seen every episode of TOS yet

I don't think that it was ever directly mentioned. However, in the first shown TOS episode "The Man Trap", when the salt vampire in the guise of a crewmember starts speaking to Uhura in Swahili, she responds with absolute delight and says "You're Swahili?". After I saw that , I just assumed that Uhura was Swahili.

that does make sense after reading that in the book. Which brings up the subject I raised, is Picard really speaking French and the UT translate it to English? I guess he does.

I think at least the senior crew need to speak the same language. What if the computer syster failed and the UT went offline? It would be disastrous!

I don't think that it was ever directly mentioned. However, in the first shown TOS episode "The Man Trap", when the salt vampire in the guise of a crewmember starts speaking to Uhura in Swahili, she responds with absolute delight and says "You're Swahili?". After I saw that , I just assumed that Uhura was Swahili.

She observed that the creature SPOKE Swahili. Swahili is a language, not a tribe or group of people.

In another episode, I think the Changeling, Uhura's mind was wiped blank of most knowledge, and Nurse Chapel had to reteach Uhura. When she became frustrated she resorted to speaking in Swhali.

She observed that the creature SPOKE Swahili.

No...She distinctly said "You're Swahili?"....not "you speak swahili". Whether she was right or wrong, she meant it as a reference to a particular type of people, not as a language.

I thought she just said "Swahili," in a pleasantly surprised tone. It's been a while since I've seen it, though.

She did say it as plesantly surprised. And I always thought since then that she was swahilli or that she at least spoke the language.

She observed that the creature SPOKE Swahili. Swahili is a language, not a tribe or group of people.

Thank you, LOL. I was just about to mention that.

The United States Of Africa has never been confirmed on-screen. It comes from the TOS writers bible. It's de facto canonical since it's been used in the Chronology and even on StarTrek.COM. So one may as well accept it unless it's altered canonically. According to Memory Alpha, in "Star Trek Phase II's" writers bible, she was supposed to have been born in the "African Confederacy". Interestingly Geordi La Forge was born (non-canonically, since the reference was cut from a TNG episode) in the "African Confederation"

I suppose one could reasonably suggest that the US of Africa, the African Confederacy, and the African Confederation are all the same entity, in the same sense that the EEC, EC, EU has changed its name over time.

I thought she just said "Swahili," in a pleasantly surprised tone. It's been a while since I've seen it, though.

Just watched it with subtitles. She asks, "You're Swahili?" Sothe writer's must have not realized Swahili's a language and not a group. Forgivable, considering the time and place.

Just watched it with subtitles. She asks, "You're Swahili?" Sothe writer's must have not realized Swahili's a language and not a group. Forgivable, considering the time and place.

Or Nichelle's line was 'you're SPEAKING Swahili', and she dropped the word on the take and no one caught it in the editing.

The Swahili are a people and culture found on the coast of East Africa, mainly the coastal regions and the islands of Kenya and Tanzania, and north Mozambique. According to JoshuaProject, the Swahili number in at around 1,328,000.[1] The name Swahili is derived from the Arabic word Sawahil, meaning "coastal dwellers", and they speak the Swahili language. They also speak the official languages of their respective countries: English in Tanzania and Kenya, Portuguese in Mozambique, and French in Comoros. Note that only a small fraction of those who use Swahili are first language speakers and even fewer are ethnic Swahilis.

The Swahili are a people in Africa.