Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Picard A Family Man or Not?

Captain Jean Luc Picard  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think Picard Would Like To Have Children?

• Yes
    • No
    • other

Do you think Picard would have liked to have children? On the first episode of TNG, he told Riker that he didn't like children, but on the season seven episode "Bloodlines" and on the movie Generations when he is in the Nexus, it seems that he does in fact like kids. What are your thoughts? Do you think he didn't like children originally, but grew to like them more since he spent all of those years with them on the Enteprise? Thoughts.

I think that having a family has always been a dream of his but only a pipedream. He fully realized that if he had to choose between Starfleet and a family, he would always choose Starfleet.

I think that Picard doesn't have any quality for a very family man. he is too cold, he reprimes his emotions and therefore he risks to be boring for a woman. In my opinion he is a perfect official, not a real man.

I think that Picard doesn't have any quality for a very family man. he is too cold, he reprimes his emotions and therefore he risks to be boring for a woman. In my opinion he is a perfect official, not a real man.

Mrs Picard might have something to say about that

I think he'd make a great grandad but a poor father, which is a shame, as you can't be the former without the latter..

I would say based on what I observed in ST Generations that Picard had a strong desire to have a full family life that included children via the nexus.

Imo, he chose a life in starfleet because he wanted to explore and he felt that his family line would continue through his nephew...until he perished in a tragic fire also in Generations.

In the end though whichever way anybody votes on this one thing is certain; his crew became his family.

Yes, due to Generations, but even before that his attitude towards children had considerably softened.

I think after Picard lost his brother and nephew children appealed to him because he was the last Picard after him there would be no one to carry on the Picard name. I think deep down he always wanted kids but his career came first.

Okay, to touch upon non-canon Jean-luc, seems there's something about he and Beverly finally getting together? Now, it would certainly be possible for Beverly to have a child-whether or not they would actually create a family is something I guess more hardcore TNG fans might better respond to, but, Wes would in that case become Jean-luc's stepson, and he already has a long history with Wes, Picard has a great deal of affection for him, and so I rather think Jean-luc would be perhaps content with that.And herein, there was the exception to the 'detached Picard' who kept all children at a distance, and was uncomfortable with them.Wes would be the son he already had. I do wonder if Picard's discomfiture had anything to do with his own father..was Picard Sr. a 'detached' parent?...I have the sense that his relationship with his mother was the opposite. 'Seeing' her in '''Where No Man..'' clearly had a powerful impact on him in that fleeting moment in the corridor.....And of course Jean-luc's aspirations seemed to create a rift of whatever degree bewteen he and his father, while Robert became the 'good, loyal son' carrying on the family tradition...and the family line. I'm an 'eternal bacheor', so I think I can identify with some of what Picard must have felt sometimes..as was revealed in ''Generations''...I truly can, because I often find myself thinking ''What if..'' and I have more regrets now, that I am older, and feeling in my case, that I have really burned a lot of bridges behind me.It's tough, I have to be honest. But, we all set our courses..and not always to our best interests in the end. In Picard' case, though, as said, he had something-his career-to occupy his heart, and mind..but, in the end, this legendary captain was still a man, with needs....

With his cute childrens and a french wife with love and compassionate hearted

Edited by Raja62