Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Big Name Casting Rumors Resurface

First came the rumours that J.J. Abrams would direct Star Trek XI, then the rumours that he would not, and finally the confirmation that he will. Now the rumour that Matt Damon will play Captain Kirk - debunked by both Star Trek insiders and Damon's reps - has returned with a vengeance.

IGN Movies cites studio sources who have told the web site that the roles of James T. Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy may go to three very big name stars: Damon, Adrien Brody and Gary Sinise.

Damon is said to be in talks with Paramount to take over the role originated by William Shatner, who has won two Emmy Awards for his more recent role as Denny Crane on Boston Legal. Brody, an Academy Award-winning actor for The Pianist, is reportedly negotiating to play Leonard Nimoy's iconic role of Spock.

Both Shatner and Nimoy have said that they would be interested in appearing in Star Trek XI as older versions of their characters if they liked the script, and Nimoy added that he believed his contract entitled him to image approval for any actor playing young Spock.

Sinise is the current star of CSI: NY and is said to be in discussions to play physician Leonard "Bones" McCoy, a role originated by the late DeForrest Kelley. A Golden Globe winner, Sinise previously appeared in the space epics Apollo 13 and Mission to Mars.

Recent rumours have also suggested that Scottish actor James McAvoy might be in talks to play engineer Montgomery Scott, and IGN claims that Lost's Daniel Dae Kim, who previously played Corporal Chang on Enterprise, may be in line to take over the role of Sulu from George Takei, who is currently appearing on NBC's hit series Heroes as the father of a Star Trek fan.

Until Paramount makes an official announcement, all casting rumours should be considered just that. The original story is at IGN Movies.

I know they're just rumors - I think I read a blogger started the rumor about Sinise but it is certainly a good idea.

I don't know if I'm even interested in seeing this thing - not thrilled with Abrams - I find Lost tediously boring. Not a fan of Damon -

I keep trying to think who I'd like to see play the characters.

I am just really leery of anyone else playing Spock other than Nimoy but If they really went with big names - I would love to see Johnny Depp play Spock. It would take an actor that good to make me want to see this movie.

I don't think Depp would be a good Spock either. Spock is devoid of emotion and Depp is usually over the top in his acting. He would make a good villian though.

I'm guessing you folks didn't see Finding Neverland - at first I didn't even realize it was Depp playing the reserved 19th century Scottish gentleman - with all the proper reserve and decorum. Depp received an Oscar nomination for that role and IMO heartily deserved it.

Anyone that watched TOS should remember that Spock didn't come by his Vulcan reserve easily - remember Spock was not totally Vulcan he was part human - he had to battle the difference forces pulling at him - he was a deep and complex character. He was not devoid of emotion but instead waged a constant battle to control those emotions which flowed from his human side. So if the general idea is that "Spock is just an alien without emotions" is going to be direction of the character - then I don't expect much from the movie.

I think that Damon and Gary Sinise are great choices, they look like Kirk and McCoy! But, I'd rather have Zachary Quinto (Sylar from Heroes, Adam Kaufman on 24) play Spock. He looks like a young Nimoy, and people on his IMDB page agree

aquintomf3.jpg

Edited by Gamera

I would rather see really good actors rather than actors that just look a little like the original characters. Truthfully, I don't know if I want to see this movie.

And Damon just doesn't have the appeal that Kirk did - and the part about Sinise is just a manufactured rumor from what I understand.

If written well, it could be a great movie. The ending will probably be when Kirk takes over the Enterprise. I, for one, can't wait to see this movie!.... :wow:

Sinise - sadly that part is just a rumor - is a terrific actor - the only reason I watch csi:ny - no one said otherwise.

But this kid from heroes playing Spock just because he looks like Nimoy - not enough of all the characters they need a good actor to play Spock; meaning Kirk is a little more of a steretype.

However, I was just watching some previews and I decided I would see this movie if they had Russell Crowe play Kirk - he could play the Kirk role - he has the charisma that Damon doesn't and Kirk had(has) charisma.

Okay so if I were choosing

Russell Crow - Kirk

Johnny Depp - Spock (I was so happy to read someone else suggest the same on another message board)

Gary Sinise - McCoy

Russel Crow is too old to play a young Kirk.

Are they going to have Chekov in this movie? If I remember right, Chekov wasn't in the first season.

Crowe can do an Amerian accent.

Besides, this is not a "young" cast movie - it is a remake - all that really means is they need a charismatic, charming, clever and cunning captain.

They need an intelligent, reserved half Vulcan scientist in constant battle to control the human half of his nature.

And they need a kindly, wise, yet manly country doctor.

Age is irrelevant as long as they aren't all really old or really young.

I read one comment by Abrams that this movie is made for the general public not Trek fans (he doesn't care if we go see it - but we aren't his primary concern) Crowe and Depp are obviously too big of stars to play in this but a girl can dream.

Let me just say as a female fan - Damon will never be Kirk.

I suppose I can see Damon playing Kirk. Brody, I'm not too sure about, and I've never even heard of the other guy (I don't watch any CSI). Trek has never really had any big Hollywood actors playing anything buy cameos, and to have these big actors staring in the movie just to appeal to a new fan base doesn't seem like Trek to me. Don't get me wrong, I think Trek needs a good boost in fans as much as anyone else, but this direction they're taking the franchise seems like a bad idea.

*sigh* I just need to wait and see how this goes. Everything now is pretty much rumors and anything can end up changing during production. It's too early for anyone to be too pessimistic about this movie.

Russel Crowe as Kirk? Kirk with an Australian accent??... :P

He's been able to ditch the accent for other roles (such as "Mystery, Alaska"). He could do it again.

And Daniel Dae Kim as Sulu, good choice!

Sinise isn't really a serious contender for the role - that was just a rumor; however for those that don't know him.

His most famous role was probably that of Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump

He also played Ken Mattingly in Apollo 13 and won an emmy for his TV portrayal of George Wallace in Wallace. There have been several other roles but those are the most well known.

The Sinise rumour has as much credibility as the Damon and Brody rumours because they all have come from the same source recently (IGN). It's not just some internet rumour that someone made up. As the article says until something is confirmed officially by Paramount everything is just a rumour. But the best rumours we have suggest that Sinise is a serious contender for the role.

The Sinise rumour has as much credibility as the Damon and Brody rumours because they all have come from the same source recently (IGN). It's not just some internet rumour that someone made up. As the article says until something is confirmed officially by Paramount everything is just a rumour. But the best rumours we have suggest that Sinise is a serious contender for the role.

You're correct. I think that the casting of the film will remain a mystery until the script is set and a Principle Photography Schedule is announced. It will, of course be a closed set, meaning that everyone will be sworn to secrecy. So, the only information that we'll be getting is whatever Paramount releases to us.

Sinise isn't really a serious contender for the role - that was just a rumor; however for those that don't know him.

His most famous role was probably that of Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump

He also played Ken Mattingly in Apollo 13 and won an emmy for his TV portrayal of George Wallace in Wallace. There have been several other roles but those are the most well known.

Do you personally know Mr. Sinise?

Edited by Gummy

Unfortunately the web has become so inundated with everyone and their dog repeating the IGN rumors that I can no longer find the link I read about how the Gary Sinise rumor got started but it did not start with the Damon rumor - some media blogger just said he thought it would be great and people started repeating it.

In another news article Abrams behavior/comments led some credence to the Damon rumor; which if true I will be able to think about during the movie is why is that little boy sitting in the Captain's chair?

The Damon rumours have existed almost since it was announced Abrams was involved. The Sinise rumours have been around along time with most people saying he was a prefect choice to play McCoy even before this movie was announced. So it did start as speculation.

HOWEVER, the IGN article is the first source to say that Damon, Brody and Sinise have been approached (or are in talks) to be in Trek XI. But as I said it is all rumour until the inevitable press conference where the new cast is unveiled.

I think a strong young actor who could also play Kirk is Henry Cavill, currently seen in Showtime's The Tudors. He's got the talent and the good looks for a new Kirk.

I could get behind Gary Sinise as McCoy if it weren't just a rumor. Can't see Matt Damon as Kirk, though. I could possibly envision Nathan Fillion doing it. I think he could actually pull it off. I mentioned in my intro post that I'm a huge Angus Macfadyen fan. I'd love to see him play the role of Scotty. I also know through one of the fangroups that he would like to play it as well. He's about the right age, the right body type, decidedly Scottish, and anyone who's seen him in "Braveheart" knows he'd have no trouble playing the role. Daniel Dae Kim is a good actor, and J.J. Abrams is familiar with him from working with him in "Lost," but I have some doubts about him playing Sulu. However, I would love to see Jorge Garcia as a young Cyrano Jones, if only they could sneak him in somehow! LOL. (There are so many places to go with the earliest guest villians!)

I'm a continuity purist as far as my Star Trek goes. As long as they don't pull a "Galactica" and try to turn McCoy into a poker playing, cigar smoking woman the way they did with Starbuck in the new Galactica series, or otherwise completely alter the known canon, I'll probably go see it. It IS Trek, after all, and I just can't seem to help myself!

ducky

-I'll admit it, I cried when they blew up the Enterprise in "Search for Spock"