Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Beverly and Picard

Do you think it would have destroyed the story and the chemistry the two have if they allowed Picard and B. Crusher to actually date on the series? I know that they reference that they were married in the future on the last episode, but how bad would it have been if they actually had a huge relationship on screen? Thoughts.

Actually seeing negative effects or benefits from being in such a situation could have made things interesting but also distracting.

I think ENT was the perfect series/timeframe to experiment in that area and was attempted to much viewer outrage.

I don't think it would have worked at all. If the captain of a starship had a relationship with one of his crew, it would influence his decisions somewhat. We saw that when Picard tried doing that. It never works.

It would have changed the dynamics of the plot lines. Beverly and Dianna were awfully fickle and fell in and out of relationships at the drop of a hat. The Captain had his own relationship plots also.

I rather enjoyed the "undertones" their relationship (Picard and Crusher) had.

There would have been a lot of story lines lost. IMHO. :wow:

I don't think it would have worked at all. If the captain of a starship had a relationship with one of his crew, it would influence his decisions somewhat. We saw that when Picard tried doing that. It never works.

You are right and I think that picard is too cold to love a woman decently. :yahoo:

Storywise, it would have been a bad idea. I liked how they had the tension between the 2, it helped add to the past they shared though Jack Crusher. To resolve that tension would have robbed the characters of plots in the future.

well, it would of been fun to see them at least be lovers towards the end of neminsis....granted that they lost data, it would of been a great way to end it then to see data being killed.

I can't think of one series where a relationship developing between major characters ever "worked" - I know there have been relationships in DS9 and VOY but those didn't involve the Captain.

I didn't really like Beverly so I never saw them together and I think Star_rose hit a point I guess I've never been able to articulate - Picard is just too reserved to think of romantically.

then again, it might have to do what people would of thought if she was able to get away with anything because he ws poking the doctor

I didn't like the Crusher Picard thing, I thought it was too much and so was the Worf Troi thing in season 7, that was just tacked onto the end of the season. Riker and Troi I liked, the fact they had a history you could tell there was something still there and I even liked how they got back together. But Picard and Crucher was just too much in a program. I've not been a big fan of romantic stories throughout the show but if they had the Riker Troi thing and the odd romance story in an episode then that would have been good. I would like to ask though, What was the deal with the random kiss between those two in "all good things".

I liked the fact that they never really hooked up. I think that it would have broken down the command structure had they gotten together. They did better by staying apart during the series' run.

hey, they managed to get married in all good things in the alternate future. but your right, it really would of never worked out between those two anyway. picard himself (i forget which episode, or i think it was crusher) is that, he never really had a chance to be with her because he felt like he owed jack just for having her on his ship. not to mention the number of times they've been in some kind of trouble together.

it was more like picard was more than crusher. because if you remember and i can't think of the episode...picard was afraid she would be hurt if anything was to happen to him if he ended up like jack.

it was more like picard was more than crusher. because if you remember and i can't think of the episode...picard was afraid she would be hurt if anything was to happen to him if he ended up like jack.

That and wasn't he the guy who actually brought home Jack's dead body to her? Not exactly the best gift to bring a future lover...but in a sick way, it's actually a very logical one.

he brought him to her because he's said it time and time before that he felt responsible for what happened to jack. not to mention beverly kinda forgave him as the series goes on....but only because they didn't want to feel like a burden to each other.

As much as I would have liked to see those two hook up I am glad they didn't. It made it all the more interesting to see tension between them.

Very well put! I do have to agree with you 100% here.