Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier

post-1-1171769671.jpg

For forty years Star Trek has engrossed our imaginations and sent us on voyages across the galaxy. Through ten films and five series this entertainment juggernaut has become a pop culture icon and a window to our society. We will look at the impact that Star Trek has had on fans around the world. From the conventions in Europe and Las Vegas to the billionaire collector who scours the world for memorabilia, we will try to find out just what it is about this supposedly "silly" series that has meant so much to so many. Leonard Nimoy hosts.

Rating: TVPG

Running Time: 120 minutes

Other airing tmes are as follows:

Tuesday, February 20

01:00 AM

Saturday, February 24

08:00 PM

Sunday, February 25

12:00 AM

and tonight, Sunday night, there is a one hour documentary on History Channel called "Star Trek Tech" at 9pm, the summary of the special says

Real technology prompts ideas about gadgets in 'Star Trek' stories.
Edited by Gamera

Star Trek Tech was interesting, it was hosted by the man who wrote the book "Physics of Star Trek" and he was also on the History Channel's "How William Shatner Changed The World". They talked about things like warp drive, teleportation, cloaking, and other things seen in Trek and if they are possible to be made into reality. I think it will be on the History Channel again tonight around 7pm if anyone missed it

Star Trek Tech may be listed as Modern Marvels on your TV schedule, since that is what it is part of, it is just a special of Modern Marvels called "Star Trek Tech"

Edited by Gamera

I saw it today. The History Channel showed it right after they played the William Shatner thing. It was pretty good.

Beyond the Final Frontier was also really good, it made me sad seeing all of Trek history and it being sold. I wish they had at least one person from ENT interviewed

They did interview Jolene Blalock.

I was expecting more about the series and not so much about the auction - it was okay but I would have liked it better if it hadn't spent so much on the auction.

And Blalock wasn't in Beyond the Final Frontier - I missed the Star Trek Tech.

I was expecting more about the series and not so much about the auction - it was okay but I would have liked it better if it hadn't spent so much on the auction.

And Blalock wasn't in Beyond the Final Frontier - I missed the Star Trek Tech.

I agree, the auction portions could have been spun off into a show unto itself. The 2 hours could have been better used talking about the 5 series themselves.

I enjoyed it though.

I liked the program but I felt a sense of finalty somewhat. They said in the end the series isn't over but has earned a rest but I have a feeling this may be it. Of course any future trek series will probably not need those old props and costumes.

Any future series wouldn't need the props and models because most of it would be in cgi. As for the finality of Trek, I'd be willing to bet that you won't have to wait nearly as long as we did when TOS was cancelled.

I am glad it is on again tonight. I will make sure I watch it this time. Missed the earlier showing.

I saw it last night. It was good, but I agree with others that a whole show could have been done just on the auction. They had some of the auction items at the Las Vegas convention so I did see some of those items.

I too wish they had had 2 hours just on the Trek series, but it was still fun. I recognized several people I saw at the Las Vegas convnetion - yes, other than the two Next Gen dogs! :wow:

people have forgotten that when the auction was happening, History channel said they were going to make a documentary about the auction. That is why the focus is on that, because that is what the documentary is about

I finally saw it and was not impressed. Its just a rehash of all the other stuff that has been shown on the channel. And most of the show was talking about the auction which was a farse imo. The items should have gone to the Star Trek experience or the Smithsonian (i am still mad the original Enterprise is in the cellar in the store) rather then have rich fans who bid big $$ for some items. I still can't believe the Enterprise D went for a half a million dollars!

I think the museum idea is a good one. I would have rather seen all those pieces go to a single museum or even a couple of different museums so more people could get to see them.

They had a special Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian about 13/15 years ago which I was able to see.

There should be a Star Trek Museum somewhere.

The closest thing to a Star Trek museum is The Experience in Las Vegas. They have tons of props, costumes and stuff from all of the series.

I agree that the Experience in Las Vegas has a lot of Star Trek material. It just felt very commercial to me when I was there (No surprise of course - it's LAS VEGAS! :yahoo: )

I do think it was a shame that a select number of items couldn't have been purchased (or perish the though - be donated by Paramount! :wow: ) by some museum so that fans could exjoy them for decades to come. Maybe some Museumin in the future will put together an exhibit, including itemsloaned by private collectors for an exhibit? Perhaps for the 50th anniversary???

Just another show for Paramount to make money off

something they say is not cost effective.