Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Enterprise in HD

I've recently gotten an HD TiVo for my new TV and part of the DirecTV HD package is a channel called HDNet, each Monday they play an episode of Enterprise in HD and I have to tell you the difference in the show from SD to HD is incredible. That's true of any show but you can really see it in the Alien make-ups or exterior shots of Enterprise or Planets.

Incredible! I wish I'd had HD all along!

Lucky, on Comcast Digital Cable, we don't get HDNet, but we do get Universal HD channel which shows new Battlestar Galactica, also a channel called INHD which has a pretty cool show on it called Three Sheets that has a guy going around the world drinking the local drinks.

:blink: We haven't upgraded to HD yet, sets still too expensive. Someday, maybe...

You could always get an HD ready set. They're cheaper than HDTV's and you can decide when to get the HD receiver and programming. That's what we did.

:blink: We haven't upgraded to HD yet, sets still too expensive. Someday, maybe...

February 17, 2009 isn't that far off so I'd expect the prices to start coming down. In fact I saw a 27" LCD at Circuit City for $549.99 and a 32" LCD for $699.99.

Not chump change by any means but the prices are coming down.

I bought an HD TV for between $500 and $600, but refused to pay for the extra HD channels on cable. I did have to get a digital cable package and a special box for HD TV's. ( It was not a flat panel TV).

I get shows shot in HD with the high definition resoluion, but I refuse to pay extra for the HD cable channels.

Lots of things are already done in HD. I did not realize how much better the image was until I was at my mother's home for 10 days, and had only the older sets with their 'fuzzy' images.

You could always get an HD ready set. They're cheaper than HDTV's and you can decide when to get the HD receiver and programming. That's what we did.

Thanks. Much of our trouble getting one has to do with the fact we don't use banks, no credit means cash on the barrel head. Actually at tax time we could have bought our dream tv several years in a row but the idea of plopping down all that cash on a single item left a bad taste in our mouths.

:eek: We haven't upgraded to HD yet, sets still too expensive. Someday, maybe...

February 17, 2009 isn't that far off so I'd expect the prices to start coming down. In fact I saw a 27" LCD at Circuit City for $549.99 and a 32" LCD for $699.99.

Trouble is, we want at least a 42" inch or bigger set, (ever watch Star Wars 4 on a 32"? Darth Vaders first appearance is laughable) but yeah, prices are coming down. I recently spotted a 42" plasma! HDTV on sale at Walmart for $998.

Rent To Own is another option as far as getting the TV we want right now goes but forget about getting a value, the price of convenience for non bankers is skyhigh!

I don't have HD yet either, just recently converted to digital satellite. We are looking for a plasma TV, but things keep breaking around this house and all of the money has to be used for those things, which dries up the chances of getting an HD anytime soon

Actually, if you have space, get a regular tube HDTV. They last longer, cost less, and are less finicky than plasma or LCD. Also, if you have light in your room, plasma and LCD can get washed out by the light. We have a Sony WEGA HD ready set, and it's been perfect.

That reminds me, Mr Pyschic; just when the widescreen tv craze was starting out, I spotted a hugh RCA widescreen with a tube,, (biggest picture tube I ever saw, must have weighed a ton!) under a grand but I passed on it and now I'm sorry because I cannot find that model or anything like it any longer. :blink:

I don't see what my options are except to get an LCD. I really don't want a plasma and I've come to despise all projection tvs... Even the DLP projectors do that funny thing of only having a good picture from the front and center.

That reminds me, Mr Pyschic; just when the widescreen tv craze was starting out, I spotted a hugh RCA widescreen with a tube,, (biggest picture tube I ever saw, must have weighed a ton!) under a grand but I passed on it and now I'm sorry because I cannot find that model or anything like it any longer. :blink:

I don't see what my options are except to get an LCD. I really don't want a plasma and I've come to despise all projection tvs... Even the DLP projectors do that funny thing of only having a good picture from the front and center.

Do you want something lightweight? There's a difference between tube tv and projection tv. DLP is a type of projection screen. There are two types of projection, front and rear. Rear projection is much better out of the two. LCD does have the tendency to die after a few years. You don't need a widescreen tv to see widescreen programming. It'll just show up as letterboxed. I used to sell tv's at Wal-Mart so that's how I know about tv.

It's weight is secondary to a killer, large enough picture. We currently have a 32" RCA tube, it's heavy but I could move it if I had to.

I've seen front projection, big picture but not very bright imo and still too expensive unless we skip getting a screen and just project it on the wall.

Rear projection is definitely out of the question unless/until the create one which is as clearly viewable from the sides as a flat screen tube set.

As I said, plasma is out too so that leaves LCD.

Well, since you like LCD, most of them have the HD receiver built in. Prices are dropping, I would look online for them.

Actually, if you have space, get a regular tube HDTV. They last longer, cost less, and are less finicky than plasma or LCD. Also, if you have light in your room, plasma and LCD can get washed out by the light. We have a Sony WEGA HD ready set, and it's been perfect.

I have 3 very large windows in my family room where my Plasma is and the picture doesn't get washed out at all. The picture is crisp and clear no patter what the lighting conditions are in the room.

Projection TV's on the other hand will get washed out by ambient light and viewing angle makes a big difference in how the picture will look in many cases. I've also never seen my 27" LCD get washed out by light either though I don't use it as a TV very often, it's mainly used as my PC monitor.

Eventually I'm going to build a Home Theater onto the house that will have a big screen (200" or so) with a good rear projector and theater seating. It will be a dedicated home theater so there will be either no windows at all or heavy dark curtains that will block out all light. Something along the lines of this:

Theater2_jpg.jpg

It's weight is secondary to a killer, large enough picture. We currently have a 32" RCA tube, it's heavy but I could move it if I had to.

I've seen front projection, big picture but not very bright imo and still too expensive unless we skip getting a screen and just project it on the wall.

Rear projection is definitely out of the question unless/until the create one which is as clearly viewable from the sides as a flat screen tube set.

As I said, plasma is out too so that leaves LCD.

What price range are you hoping to stay in? The 42" Plasma that I got was about $1,199.00 but I've seen others in the $999 range.

Of course keep in mind that mine was basically free from the bank, if I'd have had to pay for it out of my own pocket I'd have thought twice... or twenty times about it before I bought it LOL

Nice home theater, good luck with getting that.

What price range are you hoping to stay in?

M and I agree, if we had around $800 in our pocket and spotted a new 42" LCD on sale for that, we'd take it home.

:o We haven't upgraded to HD yet, sets still too expensive. Someday, maybe...

Well it's February 17th, 2009. See? I told you it wasn't that far off :giggle: lol

We still don't have HD but we have cable to all sets so no worries about the switch. This tax season would have been the time for us to go HD, (42 inch sets are under $800 now) but our son announced he is getting married this summer so all extra cash is going for that.