Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Is This How It Should Have Been Done?

On the TAS series, people in space are able to breathe without the use of a huge space suit by pushing a button on their belts. But, in the 24th century live action series, they are still using space suits. I know that TAS isn't considered official canon, but I would think they would have been able to eliminate the use of bulky space suits by the 24th century the way they have in the TAS series. Thoughts?

Edited by Gamera

I agree. By the 23rd century, they should have surely invented a somewhat slimmer and more versatile spacesuit. Even in Wrath Of Khan, the bulky suits were used.

I would think they were an experiment. But all things mechanical and electronic do break down. The suits would be more dependable because if your belt were to quit . . . Pfft ! and you're gone! Of corse I consider the TOS and TAS episodes to be the the way the 23rd centuray Earth media would handle the exploits of 'Kirk and his loyal crew' with all of the really Top Secret stuff pulled out of the records by Star Fleet. That is the reason 'Spock's Brain' is sooooo lame - all the real goodies got removed by Star Fleet !

On the TAS series, people in space are able to breathe without the use of a huge space suit by pushing a button on their belts. But, in the 24th century live action series, they are still using space suits. I know that TAS isn't considered official canon, but I would think they would have been able to eliminate the use of bulky space suits by the 24th century the way they have in the TAS series. Thoughts?

That's one of the big reasons TAS was never offical canon. The cartoon was doing little things like 'the life support belts' and the live action shows/movies were sticking with Space Suits.

come to think of it that could of helped alot with the bugget issues they kept having on tos maybe they tought that was going to far for people still to be able to relate

In the TNG episode "Timescape" they create temporal belts that are somewhat similar. Perhaps there is a link.

This entry in Star Trek the animated series in wikipedia gives an answer that rings a bell with me:

Novelties in the series

A personal force field technology known as the life support belt was seen only in Star Trek: The Animated Series. In addition to supplying the wearer with the appropriate atmosphere and environmental protection it permitted the animators to simply draw the belt and yellow glow around the existing characters, instead of having to redraw them with an environmental suit.

This makes perfect sense to me. Another good reason might have been that each character was immediately recognizable - instead of having to have closeups of each helmet to clearly see which character was inside.

The Animated series of course could use more alien looking characters and effects that would have not worked or been prohibitavly expensive as special effects - like a Giant Spock for example.

Edited by trekz