Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Language of Picard

Since Picard was born in France, do you think Picard is speaking French and the Universal Translator is giving him a British English accent or do you think Picard knows English?

My guess that after WWIII when the world united, all earth citizen decided to speak one language. Either by vote or statistics English was chosen. So I think that Picard is speaking English.

Besides, a real Frenchman would be highly insulted if the UT gave him a British accent... :blink:

If he speaks french and the translator renders it in english, then what must he speak to make it sound french?

And it must have been quite a feat by Picard to get the translator singing Frére Jaques in tune to the children in that one episode. Unless he just turned it off I suppose.

This topic just blew my mind. I always knew that Picard was French, and I knew that he spoke with an English accent....I just never stopped to think about it. That makes no sense.

I think that Picard actually speaks English with a British accent and that the Universal Translator only steps in, when someone doesn't speak English at all. I cannot imagine that the Translator would make everyone talk with the same pronounciation... Perhaps all the people on Earth during the 24th century learn English, but it is also possible, that they learn the regional language at home (e.g. French) and have to learn Standard (=English) before going to school, because school and everything official is in English...

In France, British English is taught in the in modern day schools, so most French people sound more English if they do not sound French when speaking. Perhaps the same holds true in the twenty-fourth century, and Picard is so used to speaking English he has lost the French part of his accent when not actually speaking French.

I have to admit, Picard's accent always annoyed me. I mean if the man was supposed to be French, they should have hired an actor that could do a reasonably passing French accent. I'm afraid Patrick's accent was about as believable as Dick Van Dyke's atrocious cockney accent in Mary Poppins. I still cringe when I see that film.

But being that Patrick was obviously the perfect choice to be captain of the series, they probably should have simply changed Picard into an Englishman. I mean, why not? England has a storied naval tradition. And Picard seemed rather fond of Nelson anyway, often mentioning Trafalgar during moments of crisis. I doubt a Frenchman would think back so fondly on the Lord Admiral.

A little off topic, but I was also annoyed by Ben Sisko's total lack of a distinctive Louisiana accent. I lived in St. Landry Parrish for almost four years in my teens, and Sisko was about as Louisiana creole as the Klingons were pacifists.

Edited by SomeGuy

Picard's origin should have been British, not French

I agree.......nobody's origin should be French......... :yahoo:

But being that Patrick was obviously the perfect choice to be captain of the series, they probably should have simply changed Picard into an Englishman. I mean, why not? England has a storied naval tradition. And Picard seemed rather fond of Nelson anyway, often mentioning Trafalgar during moments of crisis. I doubt a Frenchman would think back so fondly on the Lord Admiral.

LOL! Ah, but these are evolved creatures! :hug:

Yeah, it is sort of a mystery to me as well.

A little off topic, but I was also annoyed by Ben Sisko's total lack of a distinctive Louisiana accent. I lived in St. Landry Parrish for almost four years in my teens, and Sisko was about as Louisiana creole as the Klingons were pacifists.

I think Sisko's very existence is rather annoying, to be honest. :hug:

By the time the 24th century comes, who's to say English isn't the first language for everyone on the planet. English is already considered the global language of business and from what I understand there are more and more English words creeping into the French language (maybe moreso in France than Quebec where they have the language police).

I agree with this post. It makes logical sense.

The role was established and character had a name with background long before the actor was chosen for the role. Gene Roddenberry had put a lot of effort into creating the characters for the show that reflect his love of history. Actually Bob Justman noticed the actor while Roddenberry wanted a French actor, but Patrick Stewart was later picked without the role changing to reflect that he was English. I actually enjoy the irony that English actor playing a French captain.

It doesn't take much to change a character around, especially nationality. Take Voyager, for instance. The original actress chosen was Genevieve Bujold. She had actually filmed some scenes before she quit. The Captain's character was completely changed when Kate Mulgrew was hired at the last second.

Picard's origin should have been British, not French

I agree.......nobody's origin should be French......... :nono:

LOL - Spoken like a true Anglophile!

Well and the whole thing is...if Stewart is British and speaks with a British accent why did they just not have Picard from England ? I mean really what was the point of making him French once they decided on Stewart for the role......

their are still different languages in the future, I remember that something spoke to everyone in their Native language in a TOS episode, but maybe because of the Euro, since it is now worth more then the dollar, all of the European nations started to speak in one language, and they chose english, because its the easiest to learn

Knowing what I do of French national pride, I'd find it very hard to believe that the French adopted English as a national language in the future. And English isn't too easy to learn. I speak 3 languages, and my Hmong instructor often told me that English was very difficult for her to master. The reason? Some examples:

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

Edited by Captain Armstrong

Let's just split the dif and say the UT was speaking Franglais. <_<

Seriously though, if Picard was going to be French, they should've had PS work on his French accent more. I always felt as though he needed to be holding a skull in his hand, lamenting about MacBeth or something.